• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

D700 replacement!

According to NR, Nikon will release within the next 2-3 weeks (it's not a rumour - it's verified news they say) a New FF DSLR with great build quality, that will remind of their DSLRs from the film days, will have dials for controls (no upper screen) and will have the D4 sensor in it...

http://nikonrumors.com/2013/10/20/u...-have-f-mount-and-pentaprism.aspx/#more-65640

It looks like the much loved because of its build quality, minimal design, compact files and LL (at the times) capabilities D700 ...found its replacement!

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Theodoros,

What are the imagined advantages of such a camera? Can you explain to a Canon user, how this new body moves Nikon photography forward?

Asher

Doug Kerr

Hi, Asher,

Theodoros,

What are the imagined advantages of such a camera? Can you explain to a Canon user, how this new body moves Nikon photography forward?

Asher

It's like the knobs, man.

Maybe if we have been good little boys and girls it will even have a winding crank

Best regards,

Doug

Theodoros,

Asher

I see it as a step forward for hobbyists. I can only hope for a sub $1,000 body with a FF sensor in years to come.

Doug Kerr

Hi, Jake,

I see it as a step forward for hobbyists. I can only hope for a sub $1,000 body with a FF sensor in years to come.
You have concluded that a 43 mm sensor is the ideal size for your work? Is that influenced by the lenses in your arsenal, or does it come from something more fundamental - some kind of "sweet spot" as we balance camera size and weight against various image quality properties?

Or is it just the largest sensor size for which, from today's point of view, we could imagine a body for less than USD1000 in the foreseeable future?

Thanks.

Best regards,

Doug

I think I will reply to all (especially to those that are not experienced with the D700 or the D4) with this statement...

The D700 was a very important camera in the Nikon line, that was totally different than the same FF price competition from both Sony (a900/850) or Canon (5dmkii), the camera had minimal functions (no video, much less resolution, less features) but instead, was faster than competition to work with, had surprising high image quality for the resolution, had the best LL performance than the competition and its image quality was based more in DR (especially high Iso DR) than resolving power... Obviously the people that trusted it, where more concerned on a different perspective of IQ than resolution as such and thought more of photography the traditional way (i.e. treating lighting better). OTOH, on film days and after EOS was introduced, Nikon had a base of customers that preferred a much more minimal aproach with their cameras and that was based on the most successful body design of all times, the FM/FE/FM2/FE2/FM3 design which was (and still serves) sold in many tenths of millions quantity wise and was kept in production for about 30 years (!!!!).

Additionally, the D4 sensor, (of which I am a proud user) is much better sensor, that reveals any current DSLR in IQ, with much better resolution and detail (than the already good in D700/D3) and absolutely TOP usable DR, along with the best LL current performance than any other camera in the market... (especially if high ISO DR, colour and detail is concerned)...

Hence, having a new camera design, that retains all the different D700 values than competition and enhances further the minimality of the D700 design is, 1. A real D700 replacement with much market appeal... 2. A camera that addresses to the "traditional values" of photography, when people wanted total control over the camera to "build" their image and serve an existing crowed of people that are annoyed by (what they find) "overspecification" on their cameras....

I understand that it's difficult for a Canon user to understand this, even the ones that have used Canon FD bodies, but definitely, ...even when A1 and FE where in the market, Nikon seemed to address more to the knowledgeable photographer than Canon... Hence, now that Nikon has the D800 and D610 (which can compete very well with what is the "Canon tradition").... It seems very wise from Nikon not to abandon this different (and not at all negligible) market... Especially if they have no competition for having such a marketing choice...

P.S. A "digital Nikkormat"... YES! wooooow! ...An SLR Leica M9!!! (triple woooow)! ...let them have the aperture ring back to the lenses and provide it with a split image focusing screen!

Jerome Marot

You have concluded that a 43 mm sensor is the ideal size for your work? Is that influenced by the lenses in your arsenal, or does it come from something more fundamental - some kind of "sweet spot" as we balance camera size and weight against various image quality properties?

Or is it just the largest sensor size for which, from today's point of view, we could imagine a body for less than USD1000 in the foreseeable future?

Now, this is an interesting question indeed, even if the answer here is probably that "it just the largest sensor size for which, from today's point of view, we could imagine a body for less than USD1000 in the foreseeable future". But indeed "Kleinbild" appears to have hit a sweet spot in the history of photography. Maybe we should start a thread on that.

Doug Kerr

Hi, Jerome,

Maybe the real answer is. "it's the largest sensor size for which a reasonable implementation of SLR body and lens can be lifted by us old geezers".

Actually, that was last year! Now for moi it is more like 22 mm!

Best regards,

Doug

Hi, Theodoros,

Names.

Best regards,

Doug
Names give the product an identity Doug! Let me give you an example... My turntable is the Oracle Delphi... I bet you if it was called the ..."Kerr md-9" tor the "Theo xs-12" and sounded as good, it would never have the success that its current name does communicate with the possible user...

Hi, Jerome,

Maybe the real answer is. "it's the largest sensor size for which a reasonable implementation of SLR body and lens can be lifted by us old geezers".

Actually, that was last year! Now for moi it is more like 22 mm!

Best regards,

Doug
Doug, an important factor of creativity in photography is DOF (in other words the ability and technique to isolate and enhance -hence communicate- the impact of a good photograph...). With film, in 99.99% of photography 35mm was the minimum of DOF that artistic photography implemented in marketing as what is accepted as useful... Don't you find that more than 1.5 stops of DOF increase limits creativity? ...not to mention the more than 2 stops noise difference and as a result the DR difference.

I've long stop wondering why artistic photography hasn't improve from past decade although we shoot much more... In fact history has proved, in all arts, that the less the production and the more "brains" and time involved into it... the greater the results!

Doug Kerr

Hi, Theodoros,

Names give the product an identity Doug! Let me give you an example... My turntable is the Oracle Delphi... I bet you if it was called the ..."Kerr md-9" tor the "Theo xs-12" and sounded as good, it would never have the success that its current name does communicate with the possible user...
No, you missed my point. It was that the iconic camera you mentioned had two names, "Nikomat" and "Nikkormat".

So I wondered if you wanted both names restored.

My favorite commercially-built record turntable (a changer, actually) was a Dual 1009. It was made by Gebrüder Steidinger. It would probably never have been successful as the Gebrüder Steidinger 1009.

The trade name "Dual", incidentally, was adapted for their pioneering line of gramophones which could be driven by electrical power or by a spring-wound drive.

The Oracle Delphi series of machines are certainly splendid, from what I understand.

Best regards,

Doug

NR just posted an update of the (possible) specifications, All look perfect (for the possible market they target) but... it looks like the camera will have ONE SD CARD SLOT... I wonder, if this is true, WHO THE F@@k would ever choose such a suicidal decision... The man that decided this (if it is true) must be hanged (or commit "harakiri") in public... He has killed the camera's sales by more than 70%... pros and "heavy users" will never trust such a STUPID decision, it will never be accepted (based on "past experience") from possible customers... just imagine that if "space" is an excuse, Nikon had a "ready" solution (from D4) to use (even one) XQD card...

Can't they have a photographers opinion when they decide for a product? ....How can a stupid marketing decision "kill" a superb product before it even hits the market... Are makers insane?

StuartRae

Theodoros,

On the subject of names:
Off topic, but I have to ask why you are allowed to post under an obvious alias while the rest of us use our real names.

Stuart

Doug Kerr

Hi, Theodoros,

NR just posted an update of the (possible) specifications, All look perfect (for the possible market they target) but... it looks like the camera will have ONE SD CARD SLOT
Well, if this is so (what was the site called where you got this information - Nikon Absolute Truth?), as I recall, you will not be able to get one.

Pity.

Best regards,

Doug

Theodoros,

On the subject of names:
Off topic, but I have to ask why you are allowed to post under an obvious alias while the rest of us use our real names.

Stuart
Simply because its not a "fake" name that trolls use Stuart... Its an official "pseudonym" (as many artists do) with which I sign my work, I have two web sites under and I use for many years as a signature to my photography... Why don't you look on my web sites to verify this? You can even call me and find me if have a look on the "contact" section... I won't change that, if you ever come in contact with my work it will be under the same name.

Doug Kerr

Hi, Theodoros,

Simply because its not a "fake" name that trolls use Stuart... Its an official "pseudonym" (as many artists do) with which I sign my work, I have two web sites under and I use for many years as a signature to my photography... Why don't you look on my web sites to verify this? You can even call me and find me if have a look on the "contact" section... I won't change that, if you ever come in contact with my work it will be under the same name.
Hey, it works for Elton John!

Best regards,

Napoleon Bonaparte

Hi, Theodoros,

Hey, it works for Elton John!

Best regards,

Napoleon Bonaparte
LOL... Don't pay attention to him guys... he and Napoleon is one person with dual characters... a split personality? ...nah, he'll still be my friend Doug! ...he just has an unpredicted sense of humour... maybe "French revolution influenced"...? ...I still trust British (playing with words) more!

StuartRae

Hi Theodoros,

Its an official "pseudonym"....
So please answer my question.

Also read the T&C of OPF

Membership Requires registering with full names and information so we can assure that the nature of the community is honest, open and professional. Please don't use an alias or "handle" as this diverts effort to correcting that. In any professional activity, one knows for certain the identity of one's colleagues

Stuart

Hi Theodoros,

So please answer my question.

Also read the T&C of OPF

Membership Requires registering with full names and information so we can assure that the nature of the community is honest, open and professional. Please don't use an alias or "handle" as this diverts effort to correcting that. In any professional activity, one knows for certain the identity of one's colleagues

Stuart
But Stuart, it's being answered already and it is answered in the rules too... with "REAL NAMES"! ...Your real name, Elton John's real name, my real Name is the one that people recognise you with...

If I tell you about Giannis Alepoudelis poetry, you'll say "who ?" ...if I'll comment on "Odyseus Elitis" poetry, you'll say (either if you've read his poetry or not) "who? ...the Nobel prized one?"...

I am sure that anyone can understand what REAL NAME is..., it is the one you are recognised with..., the one that you answer to..., the one that you sign with..., the one that people use when refer to you! ...after all, the one that taxation system recognises you with!

Doug Kerr

I am sure that anyone can understand what REAL NAME is..., it is the one you are recognised with..., the one that you answer to..., the one that you sign with..., the one that people use when refer to you!
The name which, in US copyright law, is appropriate for use in a copyright notice.

Best regards,

Alexander Graham Bell

The name which, in US copyright law, is appropriate for use in a copyright notice.

Best regards,

Alexander Graham Bell
LOL..., Ohhh! ...i was wrong! ...he is triple personality now! Alex, ...you did not do well in that battle against the Cossacks... you should have CALLED Doug for strategic advise!

StuartRae

Membership Requires registering with full names and information so we can assure that the nature of the community is honest, open and professional. Please don't use an alias "

Once again I ask you to answer my question.

Doug Kerr

I'm sure if we had the famous photojournalist Usher Fellig join (not likely), we would have no idea who that was.

Best regards,

Notta Scott Tuday, Esq.

Doug Kerr

Can this thread be sold intact to DPR?

Best regards,

The telephone engineer formerly known as D. A. Kerr

Once again I ask you to answer my question.
I have... thanks. If you protest my right to choose my name in society because you feel that it brakes a forum's rules, ...sorry, it won't happen, that IS my name and it's the only one I demand for my friends, customers, web users, my family and web trolls to use when refer to me.... and as I've said before, it's the only name I use, many-many years before I joined this forum. I won't answer another (stupid) insist of yours on that matter...

If you protest my right to have changed my name for many years now, you can protest to the forum Admins and ask for my disposal... I will still keep my name though...