• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

My World: I really did read and

fahim mohammed

then threw it all in the garbage. I read about light, dogs and cats, sensors, DR, diffraction, fl and dof. I poured over all the intricate equations ( which I did not understand ) on optics and fabrication processes.

Then threw everything in the garbage and started taking photographs. Understood then what ' the decisive moment ' means..

p124666271-5.jpg

And I thought it was something to do with time and relativity and worm holes and time warps and string theory.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
then threw it all in the garbage. I read about light, dogs and cats, sensors, DR, diffraction, fl and dof. I poured over all the intricate equations ( which I did not understand ) on optics and fabrication processes.

Then threw everything in the garbage and started taking photographs. Understood then what ' the decisive moment ' means...

p124666271-5.jpg

Fahim,

This picture really proves how mistaken you are! You just got it right? No, it's years of careful work that made this. You haven't put aside any learning, just incorporated into your sense of your own person with the camera being an extension of your mind, just like the gun fighters of the Wild West who anticipated every move and reaction and even the effect of the wind.

They never took out a sliderule to do a quick windage calculation, just fired and stayed alive when each bullet counted!

Asher

Doug Kerr

Hi, Fahim,

I'm not sure I get the point of many of your recent writings. Is it that we can walk down the street and deal with an offset in the sidewalk without giving any thought to the kinematics involved? Is it that Usain Bolt can perhaps run faster than any human while not giving any thought to the kinematics involved? Is it that Usain Bolt has developed his skill without any grasp of the kinematics involved? (Not likely.)

Is is that beautiful music can be made by artists who cannot read standard musical notation and have never studied chord theory?

Is that that we can arrive on time for a date with a beautiful woman without thinking about how time zones work? (Hopefully we did not miss the change from summer to winter time.)

I am dismayed by your seeming need to denigrate the implications of science and mathematics in photography, and the visible interest in it by some of our members.

Maybe your point is only that we shouldn't talk about them while in the art gallery but rather only next door in the lounge of the Royal Society .

You are one of our most knowledgeable members and a great thinker.

Please don't make fun of of the science that you understand far more that you are willing to admit.

By the way, your photograph of the boys playing ball in the street is just wondrous. So nice that you chose a shutter speed that so well stopped the motion. Oh, dear, that's that old nasty science again.

Best regards,

Doug

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Well guys, here's the truth, it's humor, I believe. Don't worry about the science, just do magic. Well that magic is only possible because Fahim, you are an accomplished photographer already and those scientific principles are part of your habit and reflexes.

Still, what we get is a taste of sardonic humor.

To me, the story of you, Fahim, the traveler is far more interesting and then the nature of the people you meet and obviously care about is paramount.

Asher