• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

November.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
For the month of November, I would like to try to take and post one picture a day.

Jerome,

I'm not sure what we're seeing. Perhaps this is the fall of leaves on grass taken with a cell phone. So, I ignored the provenance and just look at is for the experience.

It works better that way, just as an experience of the infinite possibility of things around us and our own place in the scheme of things. If this was printed 1 meter high, it would work well viewed from about 6 feet.

I wonder what's on your mind! Looking forward to seeing more!

Asher

For the month of November, I would like to try to take and post one picture a day.

Hi Jerome,

A brave initiative. It's easier to have critique than to actually do something like this. Forcing oneself to a certain shooting regime, either by timing or limiting to a single focal length, can spark the creativity.

If it results in only a single 'keeper', you've succeeded.

Cheers,
Bart

Jerome Marot

They are going to get better, aren't they, Jerome? I might loose interest around November 3rd.

But all of our pictures are totally uninteresting aren't they, Tom? If they were interesting, we would have followers, sell them for good money, maybe even be invited to hang them in a gallery.

Jerome Marot

I wonder what's on your mind!

Nothing more than just taking some simple pictures and post one a day. Don't expect too much.

A brave initiative. It's easier to have critique than to actually do something like this. Forcing oneself to a certain shooting regime, either by timing or limiting to a single focal length, can spark the creativity.

If it results in only a single 'keeper', you've succeeded.

Thanks for the kind comments. We'll see what comes out of it.

Asher Kelman

Jerome,

.........I wonder what's on your mind! Looking forward to seeing more!

Asher

Meaning,

What did you feel or think in your framing of tis shot and then what was your experience afterwards on looking at it on the screen. I ask, as I find the first picture above quite impressive, as an abstraction.

Asher

Meaning,

What did you feel or think in your framing of tis shot and then what was your experience afterwards on looking at it on the screen. I ask, as I find the first picture above quite impressive, as an abstraction.

Hi Asher,

While Jerome undoubtedly knows it's not his best shot ever, imagine that first shot printed large, with a mysterious title like "terraforming". I bet there would be people that would mistake it for Art, and put a big smile on Jerome's face ...

Cheers,
Bart

Jerome Marot

I thought: "what a nice little cloud". Really.

But know I think: "did Asher expect me to produce a month of abstractions?". I should have tried that, it would have been much easier.

Cem_Usakligil

I thought: "what a nice little cloud". Really.

But know I think: "did Asher expect me to produce a month of abstractions?". I should have tried that, it would have been much easier.
I think that Asher's question was about your first image, but I may be mistaken of course.

Jerome Marot

While Jerome undoubtedly knows it's not his best shot ever, imagine that first shot printed large, with a mysterious title like "terraforming". I bet there would be people that would mistake it for Art, and put a big smile on Jerome's face ...

Please allow me to correct your assumption. The public cannot mistake something for Art for the simple reason that if they think it is Art, then it becomes Art. Whatever it is: an urinal, a bottle rack, anything.

Jerome Marot

I think that Asher's question was about your first image, but I may be mistaken of course.

Then, I thought that the colors on the ground looked a bit like a cloud and I tried to dispose the cloud in the frame so that it looked balanced.

Amusing that the first two pictures have a cloud in them. I'll take care not to photograph a cloud tomorrow.

Michael Nagel

Jerome,

Art or not - this is something I wanted to do for quite a while, but recently I was too often in a hurry and the outcome would not be presentable..

I like the first two in there completely different way and I am curious on the next.

Keep 'em coming.

Best regards,
Michael

Tom dinning

Registrant*
OK. It's the 3rd already. That went quick. See how fast time passes when you're having fun. As with the Michelin calendar I'm anxiously waiting to turn the page hoping that the next image will expose more than the first 2. I'm dying to see what the 30th will bring.

Asher Kelman

OK. It's the 3rd already. That went quick. See how fast time passes when you're having fun. As with the Michelin calendar I'm anxiously waiting to turn the page hoping that the next image will expose more than the first 2. I'm dying to see what the 30th will bring.

Tom,

Does this petulant impatience comes from a society heritage of convicts, some with harsh sentences, where time served mattered?

If they'd only go to the beach and watch the beauty, and it's free all for the viewing, they'd unwind their undies, take in a beer and agree that what we get in life and from others is really pretty amazing and worth waiting for!

Asher

Asher Kelman

I never expected this thread to be such a hit with you Tom. Quick, I must post something really mundane and boring or you might become interested.

Today's picture: 3-11.

Jerome,

Now you seem to have crossed the line. This is more like Michael Nagel's street art work. You'll do anything just to placate Tom Dinning!

Asher

Tom dinning

Registrant*
Jerome.
The setting of the scene as a 'project' of continuous shots over the month has established a psychological anxiety typical of anticipation and urgency to know what is next. As with calendars, a new book of photographs, another dress display from Christine or a wander through the Red Light district of Amsterdam, I am in a mode of constant anticipation. This renders me somewhat oblivious to the beauty and fascination of those that come before, knowing that the last is always the best. There are opportunities for me to flick back through the pages later, admiring Miss March with my birthday hastily scribbles on her navel, or cupping my face against the glass for an undistorted view of the transvestite in De Wallen.
Quality is a fickle quantity, relative to my moods and motives. Today, being the 4th provides me with the opportunity to look with new eyes. Love still remains in the air from yesterday's image. We are approaching my fathers birthday which may put me in a more sombre and reflective mood. You have no control over how I might react to your 30 days of pictorial recording. I hope I can be at least as interesting as the view so far.
Cheers
Tom

Asher Kelman

So do I, Tom.

4-11:

Jerome,

None of your images to date have been snapshots. Each seems carefully framed and made and each represents some facet of your library of values and questions.

Yes, this is just a photograph, but it's really a special one. It's magnetic, we're drawn in to this unique landscape. Who'd take a picture of a field with no sky? What's significant here are the remnants of the crops, after the harvest, with plough furrows converging to the distance. The composition triggers the principal metaphor of life itself: life as a journey.

Paths always catch our attention, and receding lines like this, railway tracks, the sides of country fences, pull us in to consider our life and destiny. This, with the patch of common grass growing through its highly selected relatives, contrasts wide branches of our evolutionary history too and also serves to ponder living versus dead.

A picture like this, then, becomes a kind of muse system. We can explore our own thoughts with it and exercise our imagination, hopes, dreams regrets and even vows to change things. So the work is not merely art in itself, but a long term companion for reflection.

Great job for one days work!

Asher

Tom dinning

Registrant*
Jerome. Thanks for day 4. Not quite up to comparing to Miss November but I'm into corn husks as much as the next bloke.
It's too early in the morning to read Asher's comments. One does need a good shot of coffee before entering into that domain.
Personally, and that is what we are about here is it not, projects such as this don't seem to do a great deal for artistic development. They seem more beneficial for the lazy person who is trying to learn the ropes but leaves it to the weekend or holidays to dust of the Nikon. I'm of the ilk that repetitive and somewhat forced parameters such as 365, a day in the life of, or the month of November present a psychological state of subtle anxiety which over-rides the more purposeful approach.
Now, I know you don't fit into that category, judging by the continuing quality of your images but those that see you as a mentor might feel the urge to follow suit. There are already enough tabloid photographs about.
Anyway, if you persist, and I know you will, can we get off the ground or sky? Something in the middle draped over a Ferrari wearing less cloth than that in my left sock would be great.
I'm still trying to get over the trauma I suffered when I got my copy of Michelin 2013 last year. Cartoons, for Martha's sake. What aging man buried in the suburbs of Darwin wants cartoons or corn husks?
Not this black duck, that's for sure!

Jerome Marot

Well all know that scantily clad women will attract more views on the Internet, Tom. Fast cars being the second choice.

5-11:

Michael Nagel

Well, this one will not go very fast now - there is some work ahead.
Were all tires flat?

Interesting view of a rather annoying situation when you want to drive home.

Best regards,
Michael

Jerome Marot

Only 2 tires were flat. As far as I know, that car has not moved in the past two years. But it is still a fast car, as the emblem shows.

Tom dinning

Registrant*
The tyre only seems flat on one side.
All we need is something glamorous draped over the bonnet ( sorry, hood - what do you call it, Jerome?).
Your daily postings are growing on me, Jerome. Much like a creeping fungal infection. I wonder where it will finish up next. Meanwhile, I'll head for the pharmacy for some Clotrimazole cream.

Jerome,

I have done something like this before, a whole month of taking images every day. It was difficult but at the end there was some really good images I took that perhaps would not have been taken otherwise and I was proud of doing it.

I actually know people that do it a few times a year and what I think actually helps to create something that you will love at the end of the month, is to restrict yourself to a theme, or a focal length etc.,

Doing a theme narrows down the choices but also focuses you to look at many different aspects and ways of shooting one type of thing and I think in that way, your images actually do improve and you find interesting ways to shoot it.

When you do something more general, as you seem to be doing here ( I think) it is harder to know what to shoot and it's too easy to get lazy and just take a picture of anything just to get it done. I'm not saying that is what you are doing, but it is a pitfall with just shooting anything.

Have you considered creating this type of a challenge for yourself within your challenge. The reward at the end may be a cohesive set of images that work well together as a set or series.

Maggie

Jerome Marot

You are right, Maggie: a restricted theme makes the series more coherent. The difficulty, however, is to find the right set of constraints.

Meanwhile, 6-11:

Last edited: