• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Street Life in Action: Add your pictorial story/sequence!

James Lemon

i-QwhWnZc-L.jpg

i-XK7VwCk-L.jpg

i-q8vMgMd-L.jpg

i-v8Jm6Qx-L.jpg

i-QGCvm9q-L.jpg

i-HKk37JT-L.jpg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
In the first one, it looks like the girls might have accidentally knocked the cup over! So I wonder if anyone just kicked the cup down the street or just took the money?

The marvelous thing, Jim, is that you stuck around to get a complete story. Kudos! who's to follow?

Asher

Cem_Usakligil

In the first one, it looks like the girls might have accidentally knocked the cup over! So I wonder if anyone just kicked the cup down the street or just took the money?

The marvelous thing, Jim, is that you stuck around to get a complete story. Kudos! who's to follow?

Asher
Hi Asher,

You have turned this into a theme, I presume that that was OK with James? Would it not be better if this was then moved to the themes forum?

Hi Asher,

James caught a nice event, human reactions to an unusual situation. It unleashes the best and worst in people.

As a kid I used to glue a coin to the pavement, and observed in astonishment. There were even people who came back with screwdrivers that they retrieved from home, to pry the coin loose from the tiles. No hidden camera unfortunately.

Cheers,
Bart

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Hi Asher,

James caught a nice event, human reactions to an unusual situation. It unleashes the best and worst in people.

As a kid I used to glue a coin to the pavement, and observed in astonishment. There were even people who came back with screwdrivers that they retrieved from home, to pry the coin loose from the tiles. No hidden camera unfortunately.

Amazingly, Bart, I did similar tricks as a kid, right after the war when Ration Books were like currency. without them one couldn't get eggs, teas, butter and the like.

WW2-ration-book0002.jpg

So we'd leave several on the sidewalk, (pavement in the UK, LOL) , and wait until some gentleman in his bowler hat and smart black suit would come by, look around and then try to niftily bend down and grab the said ration books....at which time we pulled the thread attached to it and watched the poor fellow fall over trying to catch it. It was good for laughs for an hour or so and then we had to find a new street corner.

Those were days before Xboxes, Game boys and Ataris or even TV, (we heard of such things but never had seen one in action!). :)

On the practical side, we'd trade out bacon allotments for more eggs. Actually most of our food came as "Gift of the People of The United States" in the form of flour, milk powder and egg powder!

Asher

James Lemon

Hi Asher,

Cheers,
Bart

Amazingly, Bart, I did similar tricks as a kid, right after the war when Ration Books were like currency. without them one couldn't get eggs, teas, butter and the like.

WW2-ration-book0002.jpg

So we'd leave several on the sidewalk, (pavement in the UK, LOL) , and wait until some gentleman in his bowler hat and smart black suit would come by, look around and then try to niftily bend down and grab the said ration books....at which time we pulled the thread attached to it and watched the poor fellow fall over trying to catch it. It was good for laughs for an hour or so and then we had to find a new street corner.

Those were days before Xboxes, Game boys and Ataris or even TV, (we heard of such things but never had seen one in action!). :)

On the practical side, we'd trade out bacon allotments for more eggs. Actually most of our food came as "Gift of the People of The United States" in the form of flour, milk powder and egg powder!

Asher

Those are amazing stories gentlemen and thank you for sharing them. I am not entirely sure of

the panhandler's motive behind the scam, but from what I witnessed his unsuspecting pedestrian

prey seemed to feel responsible for knocking over his cup of pocket change. They would always

take responsibility for the mishap and would put the change back into the cup; then he would jump in to

help. In some cases they would give him money but it appeared to me that most of the

people caught up in his trap had no idea what had just happened to them (although they

probably gave it some serious thought after their encounter with him). I didn't realize

what was going on when I first encountered him August 21 2012 until I saw this, on April 27 2013.

i-npxRLpb-L.jpg