• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Obstructed View

Tom Henkel

I'm not sure whether Architecture is the right place for this one. But it involves a window, so I thought I'd give it a shot. I was trying for a trompe l'oeil effect in the processing. Does this work? Any other suggestions?

Tom
72043630.jpg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Tom Henkel said:
I'm not sure whether Architecture is the right place for this one. But it involves a window, so I thought I'd give it a shot. I was trying for a trompe l'oeil effect in the processing. Does this work? Any other suggestions?

Tom

Well, what can I say? I do like the the picture! How did you make it and what's the idea behind it. What's on your mind here?

I don't see where there's a trompe l'oeil here!

well, I guess you did it so well that I din't even know I have been fooled!~

Asher

Tom Henkel

Asher Kelman said:
Well, what can I say? I do like the the picture! How did you make it and what's the idea behind it. What's on your mind here?

I don't see where there's a trompe l'oeil here!

well, I guess you did it so well that I din't even know I have been fooled!~

Asher

Well, there's no trickery here. It's an actual photograph from a warehouse. But it reminded me of trompe l'oeil paintings and I tried to accentuate that feeling when doing the PP.

I should confess, this is a shot from a couple months ago that I didn't get around to processing until today (the weather was crappy here).

Tom

Asher Kelman

Tom,

What's the story here; how did you come to take the shot?

Also, what does it mean to you?

Asher

Tom Henkel

Asher Kelman said:
Tom,

What's the story here; how did you come to take the shot?

Also, what does it mean to you?

Asher

Not much of a story, really. It was just one of those scenes spotted on the way to someplace else. It struck me as odd -- so much junk piled up that you can no longer see through the window. From an artistic point of view I liked the chaos of the junk juxtaposed against the orderly lines of the window and window frame. And, as I said previously, I felt the scene had a kind of trompe l'oeil feel similar to some late 19th century still life artists (e.g. John F. Peto). Maybe I'm the only one who finds this sort of stuff interesting.

Tom

Last edited:

Asher Kelman

Tom Henkel said:
Not much of a story, really. It was just one of those scenes spotted on the way to someplace else. It struck me as odd -- so much junk piled up that you can no longer see through the window. From an artistic point of view I liked the chaos of the junk juxtaposed against the orderly lines of the window and window frame. And, as I said previously, I felt the scene had a kind of trompe l'oeil feel similar to some late 19th century still life artists (e.g. John F. Peto). Maybe I'm the only one who finds this sort of stuff interesting.

Tom

Tom if you hadn't used the words "trompe loeil" I might not have spent my time trying to figure out what the trick to perception was! Still we have caught up in recognizing your picture is an homage to Peto's Take your Choice!

Here, in your own picture, there's no trick at all. Just that you personally are reminded of a painting we forgot about. Thanks for reminding us about John Frederick Peto's technique of painting whole objects at life size with shadows making them appear real as there are no clues from the picture frame that the objects are not whole and real.

Yes, the connection is so wonderful and impressive now that I get it!

To your photograph. We can restart and think of it with the new context.

I find this interesting.

The picture has it's own frame

The composition is impactful.

The clutter of books indicates lots of activity that did occur over a long period, may be a lifetime. The cracked pealing weathered paint and wood reinforces the age of this accumulated detritus of reading.

So we can guess now that there's much more of this since there's no more room here. Perhaps the whole room or even the entire house is packed at every side to the ceiling with books and magazines and there are cats and one lonely person finding their way through thisd maize.

So this one picture is able to captivate. There's a lot to feel and think about this and I feel that the file is worth working on and printing.

I wonder how it would look in B&W? Maybe you have tried it.

Thanks so much for sharing!

I am impressed and find the picture is potentially a great print. The perfect print would be the exact size of the original to creat that "trompe l'oiel' feeilng!

Asher

BTW, what are the camera details of this picture and is it cropped?

Tom Henkel

Thanks Asher....

Asher Kelman said:
Tom if you hadn't used the words "trompe loeil" I might not have spent my time trying to figure out what the trick to perception was! Still we have caught up in recognizing your picture is an homage to Peto's Take your Choice!

Here, in your own picture, there's no trick at all. Just that you personally are reminded of a painting we forgot about. Thanks for reminding us about John Frederick Peto's technique of painting whole objects at life size with shadows making them appear real as there are no clues from the picture frame that the objects are not whole and real.

Yes, the connection is so wonderful and impressive now that I get it!

To your photograph. We can restart and think of it with the new context.

I find this interesting.

The picture has it's own frame

The composition is impactful.

The clutter of books indicates lots of activity that did occur over a long period, may be a lifetime. The cracked pealing weathered paint and wood reinforces the age of this accumulated detritus of reading.

So we can guess now that there's much more of this since there's no more room here. Perhaps the whole room or even the entire house is packed at every side to the ceiling with books and magazines and there are cats and one lonely person finding their way through thisd maize.

So this one picture is able to captivate. There's a lot to feel and think about this and I feel that the file is worth working on and printing.

I wonder how it would look in B&W? Maybe you have tried it.

Thanks so much for sharing!

I am impressed and find the picture is potentially a great print. The perfect print would be the exact size of the original to creat that "trompe l'oiel' feeilng!

Asher

BTW, what are the camera details of this picture and is it cropped?

>Tom if you hadn't used the words "trompe loeil" I might not have spent my time trying to >figure out what the trick to perception was! Still we have caught up in recognizing your >picture is an homage to Peto's Take your Choice!

>Here, in your own picture, there's no trick at all. Just that you personally are reminded of a >painting we forgot about. Thanks for reminding us about John Frederick Peto's technique of >painting whole objects at life size with shadows making them appear real as there are no >clues from the picture frame that the objects are not whole and real.

Perhaps I should have said something like “trompe l’oeil style” or something to that effect. You’re right, there aren’t any “tricks” visual or Photoshop-generated in my shot. Aside from some pretty basic post processing technique, the shot is exactly as it came from the camera.

The shot reminded me of a genre of paintings – not exclusively Peto’s work. William Michael Harnett (a contemporary of Peto) produced similar works. And there are some modern artists (e.g., David Brega) working in the same style. I’m sure you could find a number of artists who have used this style of painting.

I thought specifically of Peto because of one of his works in the possession of the Boston MFA, “Poor Man’s Store.”

>>The picture has it's own frame

That’s a common technique in the trompe l’oeil style and something I deliberately tried to replicate with this shot.

>>I wonder how it would look in B&W? Maybe you have tried it.

I don’t think B&W would work well in this case. The window and window frame is essentially B&W, but the color inside the “frame” is what makes the shot work. I think it would be a little too bland as a B&W. Also, the load of junk has a nice mixture of color – it would be a shame to throw that away.

>>I am impressed and find the picture is potentially a great print. The perfect print would be >>the exact size of the original to creat that "trompe l'oiel' feeilng!

I’ve never had anything printed on canvas before, but I might explore that option in this case. Many trompe l’oeil paintings aren’t large works. “Poor Man’s Store,” for example, is about 35X25 inches. That is probably doable with this shot. Aside from some basic straightening and cropping out a few clapboards from the original shot, not much has been cut from this shot.

>> BTW, what are the camera details of this picture and is it cropped?

Done with a 1DMk2 and a 24-70 f/2.8L . I sure wish Canon would get around to announcing the next generation 1Ds – I really need a FF higher resolution camera and I don’t want to buy a 1DsMk2 at this stage.

Tom

Asher Kelman

Thanks Tom!

I think that this would print life size from the IDII pretty well since there is no fine detail like a forrest of fine branches and tny leaves in a landscape that need to be defined. Faces and books are not so detail rich and can be blown up more readily. Life Size is characteristic of this tromp l'oiel style and would be great. After the print, cover it with a clear acrylic and don't frame it.

Then I'll plan to visit you and the other pictures in the museum!

Asher