• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Town Lake, Austin Texas

Erik DeBill

I made it out the door at 7:15 this morning and managed to catch the early morning light on Town Lake. These were all done with the large format rig and TMAX 400, but I also shot some Velvia of each of these and I'll be having that processed soonish.

It was quite cold, at least for Central Texas. Ice on my windshield. All the same, I didn't realize I'd lost the feeling in my fingers until I got back into my car and the heater made it start to return. I'm starting to get comfortable enough shooting the 4x5 that I felt like I was paying most of my attention to the shots, rather than the technical details.

011-train_bridge-pad.jpg

008-pfluger_bridge-pad.jpg

005-pfluger_bridge-pad.jpg

Questions? Comments? What do you think?

I really like composition on #2. :)
I also feel they all lack some "pop" :-(.
There are many ways to go BW in PS.
I may also suggest to try the new CS3 B/W feature, you may like it:)

Nice shooting!

HTH

Don Lashier

Hi Erik,

I also like #2 very much - that's one sexy bridge. Would like #3 very much also if you cropped off right half (being lf film it can probably bear this). Sorry, first one is a yawn.

Nik, this is bw film, no ps conversion, and I like the tonality just fine as is.

- DL

Marian Howell

#2 for sure!! and i also like #3 but agree with don about the crop...i think that would make it outstanding! i see what nik means about the "pop" issue, but at the same time i am partial to the smooth tonality of them nonetheless. i guess it's a philosophiocal/artistic choice and we just have to go with what we like/prefer :)

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Erik DeBill said:
I made it out the door at 7:15 this morning and managed to catch the early morning light on Town Lake. These were all done with the large format rig and TMAX 400, but I also shot some Velvia of each of these and I'll be having that processed soonish.

It was quite cold, at least for Central Texas. Ice on my windshield. All the same, I didn't realize I'd lost the feeling in my fingers until I got back into my car and the heater made it start to return. I'm starting to get comfortable enough shooting the 4x5 that I felt like I was paying most of my attention to the shots, rather than the technical details.

Here we have the photographer's context of the picture and some of the great artistic drive to take away a measure of what he saw that cold morning.

He has shared with us the when, the "what" and the how. So here's the "what". We now know the "what" However this picture doesn't make my heart turn upside down or have me engaged nor need to return to it.

011-train_bridge-pad.jpg

This is the beginning of the creative process where the artist has a vision and works to embed this in a physical form.

This starts the Arc on Intent which I postulate forms the architecture of most all works of art.

Now Erik has creatively shifted his position and provided a new and remarkable perspective. Working with a large format camera and having one's fingers numb by the cold is very different than snapping with ones zoomed DSLR!

Roads, paths, rivers are all the essential feature of the overriding metaphor of all languages: the metaphor of life as a journey.

Erik has placed us in the perspective of following the road and experiencing NOT being on the road but underneath it, so we are included in the concept, but we are excluded from the journey itself we might take if we were above, on the road.

008-pfluger_bridge-pad.jpg

The last picture, like the first, shows where we were, but no longer carries to me the strength of the 2cd picture!

005-pfluger_bridge-pad.jpg

However it's a valuable picture for the set. It has a unique anchoring feature on the right. This structure gives us a strong sense of being present in the structure of the bridge, as if we have to stay there as observers while others go on this journey.

By putting the three pictures together as a set, we have a better idea of the location and together they help to flesh out the theme of this life’s journey by others from where we are in major city to somewhere mysterious.

When we look at this set of work, we begin to re-experience some of what Erik saw and hopefully reinvoke some of his thoughts and an array of our own experiences to initiate maybe some adventurous thoughts of our own.

Doing thus, we have completed the "Arc of intent".

Thanks Erik for going to this effort to get the LF camera, (albeit not your Tachihara yet?) and take us with your on your adventure with film.

I am thrilled at this!

Asher

Erik DeBill

Don Lashier said:
Hi Erik,

I also like #2 very much - that's one sexy bridge. Would like #3 very much also if you cropped off right half (being lf film it can probably bear this). Sorry, first one is a yawn.

Nik, this is bw film, no ps conversion, and I like the tonality just fine as is.

That reaction to #1 has been universal. I even tried printing it 18" wide (I still had to downrez!), but to no avail. Perhaps it would work better if the man in the canoe was lower in the frame and better separated from the little island behind him. That goes beyond my comfort level wrt image manipulation (I happily cloned out some twigs on the right, but I refuse to move things around to change composition).

I can't look at #1 without my eyes being riveted to the canoe. This is obviously my memories from the morning taking over and impacting my view of the image.

Erik DeBill

Marian Howell said:
#2 for sure!! and i also like #3 but agree with don about the crop...i think that would make it outstanding! i see what nik means about the "pop" issue, but at the same time i am partial to the smooth tonality of them nonetheless. i guess it's a philosophiocal/artistic choice and we just have to go with what we like/prefer :)

Here's a first take on that sort of crop. Once you crop the support from the right hand side, the question becomes how much MORE to crop. Leave the building? Remove the bits of crane?

http://www.solarphage.net/images/005-pfluger_bridge-crop-pad.jpg

Erik DeBill

Asher Kelman said:
Thanks Erik for going to this effort to get the LF camera, (albeit not your Tachihara yet?) and take us with your on your adventure with film.

Indeed, this is not yet the Tachihara, which did ship from Japan, but as far as I know has not yet arrived at the shop.

This is indeed an adventure. I took pictures of all 3 subjects in 3 different mediums. The first I saw realized was the black and white film you see above. I'm getting used to the low contrast nature of the scans and concluding that it's just part of the nature of the beast.

Today I got a nice surprised while downloading images from my 20D. I've got the RAW files from initial test shots of all 3 compositions, so I can compare the differences from digital to film :)

Here's the full view of #2. Shot hand held, but still very sharp. 1/320, f4, ISO 400, 17-40 @ 28mm.

395-9563-Pfluger_Pedestrian_Bridge-pad.jpg

This is one of the few images to come out of my 20d that has had aliasing problems since I stopped using dcraw as my raw converter. Apparently the railing on the bridge managed to hit the magic frequency. While it's visible in the shrunken jpg above, this 100% crop shows it even better. (aliasing effects in the concrete supports are a result of downrezing for web)

20d-aliasing.jpg

You can also see a bit of the noise from the digital file. All in all, I think it is about like the grain from the ISO 400 film. People like to make ga-ga noises over how noise-free digital is, but I think that's in relation to 35mm, not large format.

On the other hand, the digital file had no dust spots, whereas I spent a lot of time cleaning up the scanned file. The download from compact flash was also many time faster than developing, drying and scanning the negatives (10 frames = two batches = 1.5 hours just for development).

Eventually I'll get the slides I took developed, at which point there will be a third point for comparison.