• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

I drink alone

Jarmo Juntunen

I know these two will not give much to most people. But I like them and thought that what the heck, let's share!

IDA #1

_smaller.jpg

IDA #2

_smaller.jpg

(I had a completely different idea in my mind but these two just happened...)

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
I know these two will not give much to most people. But I like them and thought that what the heck, let's share!

IDA #1

_smaller.jpg

IDA #2

_smaller.jpg

(I had a completely different idea in my mind but these two just happened...)

Jarmo,

Nothing deficient in these first pictures, except it's siblings! EDITED March 7th 2017

Whenever everything is not revealed, there's a place for us to make up the missing pieces and that can make art especially interesting. Here you've done that, but as Nicolas Claris implies, go to the limit and then move beyond that to territories you are not sure of at all. That is what one needs to do to ace this project you have created from out of the blue! Taking this to where people would ordinarily see and then observe is what anyone with a camera can do. As an artist, you can go far beyond this and disobey any fact or rules that get in your way.

So right now, i'm very interested in this work and would like to continue to enjoy where you might take it.

Asher

Jarmo Juntunen

Thank you Nicolas, Antonio and Asher for the interest you show in this modest little series or more likely an opening of a series. Indeed, these pictures have been haunting me for some days now and having read and re-read your comments I feel something is beginning to brew inside me. I'm not sure yet what these pictures represent. Like I suggested they got started when I was trying to do something completely different. A modest little study on loneliness, perhaps? I guess that answers your question, Antonio. I suppose this is the context, now I need to explore further and see where this little project lands me. Thank you again!

Michael Nagel

Hi Jarmo,

Please carry on with this experiment (and maybe others you have in your mind). Stepping outside the comfort zone is so important if you want to gain new insights.

This is already promising!

Best regards,
Michael

Jarmo Juntunen

The initial pictures made me think. To which extent can one remove elements from a photograph without making it uninteresting or void of content? Can you provoke ideas or tell a story with mere shadows? I think you can. Currently I'm going through a period of a work related isolation from my family (I'm living in another town) and, needless to say, feeling very lonely. These pictures are telling this story.

IDA #3

_smaller.jpg

IDA #4

_smaller.jpg

Charlotte Thompson

Jarmo

I super think the first photographs have a lot of potential- I deal with such in overlays and have seen many,many works comparable to this as art- You have something-develop this idea in Europe this is most wanted as art- but you need to work a bit more- you have the idea!

Charlotte-

Jarmo Juntunen

Charlotte, thank you so much for your nice feedback. Yes, you're right, these pictures do resemble your fabulous work to some extent, although I'm still far far behind you. I am willing to put some time and thought into this project, so thank you again for the encouragement.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Jarmo,

I prefer the shadows being more ethereal and not perfectly defined. The first ones were more interesting and for sure there's a lot more to experiment with. Already you have provoked our interest as this is your own novel idea and we'll all leaner from you sharing like this.

Thanks,

Asher

Jarmo, I especially like the second one the IDA #2

I think it says it all. I know some very experienced people here have said that it should be a series, perhaps the first one, then one pouring the liquid and then the third drinking, but as much as I respect their opinion, in this I think perhaps (and this is just my very personal opinion) it would not be the way to go.

I do love triptychs and such when a story needs to unfold, but here, I think that 2nd image actually says it all. We really don't need the unfolding of the story as the story is really all in the 2nd. It feels agitated yet thick and murky and profoundly sad, as he seems to be lifting his glass to the emptiness on the other side of the table. By including more photos, in this case, do you come to a different conclusion or a better understanding. I think not, so see no reason for more. Interesting shot, for sure,
Maggie