• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Dragonfly

Glenn Harris

First post on forum. Taken with 70-200mm f4 and canon 7D ( still saving up for 100mm macro ) love this field willing to learn and would appreciate brutal comment/ critique
photo.php

sorry For some reason unable to post image from facebook. Will need to read further before posting

Hi Glenn,

Welcome to OPF. I'm not sure about Facebook restrictions, but you need to make a link to an internet address (URL) where one can freely access the image you want to embed in your message, using the little yellow icon in the message toolbar or by enclosing the address between the
tags. Maybe this thread will give you the necessary pointers?

Cheers,
Bart

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
First post on forum. Taken with 70-200mm f4 and canon 7D ( still saving up for 100mm macro ) love this field willing to learn and would appreciate brutal comment/ critique

Hello Glen,

A huge welcome! The insect is spectacular. I don't know it could be improved upon, but if you share an original file folk could process it for you. You may have already used all the tricks possible!

482464_10152559268369478_1382420482_n.jpg

I too love these insects. Chris has some nice images here too. This one is our great friend. They essentially patrol their habitat. You caught one likely at it's preplanned rest stop. They often come back to the very same spot, each time around! There's no creature on the planet more voracious and efficient in getting and devouring it's kill.

Is this the original f4 lens or does it have IS? A very great bargain for a top quality lens and can serve you well for concerts, events, portraits, weddings, visiting birds, animals in the zoo and squirrels in the trees!

Do you have a wider lens too?

Asher

Glenn Harris

yes its the IS version I'm surprised its so good at 200mm as a means of taking closeups I know its not a macro lens but that will have to wait for a while Ive the 7D kit lens and my other treasure is a lensbaby Muse and thats about it

Glenn Harris

Here is a locust image Im very pleased with the way it turned out. It did need some PP polishing. Posting urls from Facebook seems to give one reduced quality images so what are my options, should I post from other image sites after joining Would appreciate hearing what other members have to say

942746_10152254604474478_2003806035_n.jpg

Asher Kelman

Here is a locust image Im very pleased with the way it turned out. It did need some PP polishing. Posting urls from Facebook seems to give one reduced quality images so what are my options, should I post from other image sites after joining Would appreciate hearing what other members have to say

942746_10152254604474478_2003806035_n.jpg

Hello Glenn,

I'm so appreciative to see this colorful creature. I've never seen one like that! Do you have an name and where is it found?

Yes, when you upload larger than needed pictures, some websites shrink them saving as much space on their server as possible. First reducing an image in size should be by using a sharpening method that is sophisticated. Photoshop gives that open and includes some sharpening to account for a blur made in the process. Also the jog can be made with varying degrees of compression. at 8-10 in Photoshop, the results are almost as good as "perfect" to most eyes. I recommend doing the size reduction in photoshop and then uploading the size they want, but with the quality you choose. They don't often compress it to a lower quality, but I guess that's possible.

Asher

Asher Kelman

One final Dragon Fly ( required a little NReduction due to higher ISO Canon 7D is not very foregiving .

10371404_10152885381214478_2167081946455101056_n.jpg

This fellow is particularly handsome! There's super detail in the wings, color as great and the b.g. blur is so soft and appealing. Good job.

I wonder Glen, about the "unforgiving" character of the 7D for noise? It's a pretty good camera. What do you use for noise reduction and what about sharpening method? I presume this was from a RAW image?

Asher