• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Windtalkers

Chris Calohan

Just read where the last Navajo Windtalker passed last week. This image is in homage to him and in keeping with my sunflower series

14211670757_f97e3b2f8b_b_d.jpg

Windtalkers: Chris Calohan​

Doug Kerr

Hi, Chris,
Just read where the last Navajo Windtalker passed last week. This image is in homage to him and in keeping with my sunflower series

That's very nice.

I think "Windtalkers", very apt, was a title bestowed on these people by the movie revolving around their work. I think they are more commonly referred to a "Code Talkers". (That is not at all to denigrate the title of our image, which I think is so appropriate.)

Interestingly enough, we were in Albuquerque on the day of the funeral there of Chester Nez, the last of the original group of Navajo Code Talkers (Carla had medical tests there at that very time), to whom you probably refer.

The Cherokee (Carla's tribe) were not much called upon in that way. There language, having been given a written form, was thus more susceptible to compromise than than of the Navajo.

Thanks for your lovely work.

Best regards,

Doug

Chris,

Very strong image. I like the sense of movement and the strength of color. It's as though a gentle but significant breeze has passed through.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief

Yes, Chris, we can sense the sunflower plants talking to the wind. It's really interesting to feel that plants can get involved in communication, but you seemed to have pulled it off here! So, to what extent did this occur before post processing?

Asher

Chris Calohan

Quite a bit, Asher. There was quite stiff breeze that came in 5-10 second bouts, then there would be relative calm...discussion was minimal during the calm periods and grew progressively, almost chattering as the chaotic movements increased.