• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Zeiss Lamegon does autumn flowers

Dr Klaus Schmitt

Well, the weather has changed, it's still been pretty days, but gets cold at night, so autumn is coming
and the light gets nice, warm and soft with amazing blue skies....a story in colors + shapes

15080425945_1d1446d469_o.jpg

15080422725_0d86c3b910_o.jpg

14893847598_3e2c8b5a07_o.jpg

15077397881_7a605bf2ca_o.jpg

14893839228_030f5ee33e_o.jpg

14893869167_534fe04363_o.jpg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief

15080425945_1d1446d469_o.jpg

Klaus,

I'm spellbound by these images and this one in particular!

This side view is so poetic and dream-like and has incredible prowess in sharpness, contrast and detail! Could you do ma a great favor and post this other picture picture of yours, as I'd like to hear your comparison of the imaging qualities of both lenses as far as producing this kind of "magic".

Also do you think that the modern lenses from Zeiss, (Carl Zeiss 35 mm for the Sony A7r, 35mm 2.0 Biogon, 35mm f 2.0 Distagon for Canon mount, for example), would perform similarly or is the design and extent of correction a half a century leap forward to extinguish the effects we find so seductive?

I'm wondering as I might be interested in getting a 35 mm lens. Right now I only have a 55mm Zeiss FE lens and the rest are 18mm Contax Distagon, 20mm Canon FD and a 24-70 Vario Sonnar MM from the Contax DSLR

Asher

Dr Klaus Schmitt

With pleasure Asher, but compared to "which other picture of mine" (as that link doesn't work)??

I have developed this method with "side view against blue sky" a while ago and it works neatly with late summer/autums blue sky as the angle of sun towards sky is nearly 90 degrees, producing a wonderfully saturated deep blue sky (no polarizer ever used) combined with this warm and soft late sunlight. And of course it needs the right lens for that...

Well, a Zeiss Biogon would then be a perfect match as Lamegon and Biogon are very similar designs (Zeiss West vs. East) ... unfortunately not for your camera, but there is the Distagon 35mm http://diglloyd.com/blog/2012/20120225_1-Biogon-vs-Distagon.html

Asher Kelman

With pleasure Asher, but compared to "which other picture of mine" (as that links doesn't work)??

I have developed this method with "side view against blue sky" a while ago and it works neatly with late summer/autums blue sky as the angle of sun towards sky is nearly 90 degrees, producing a wonderfully saturated deep blue sky (no polarizer ever used) combined with this warm and soft late sunlight. And of course it needs the right lens for that...

Well, a Zeiss Biogon would then be a perfect match as Lamegon and Biogon are very similar designs (Zeiss West vs. East) ... unfortunately not for your camera, but there is the Distagon 35mm

I'll cut and post the flower!

Is there any advantage of a Biogon with the Leica mount v those made for say a Contax mount if the lens is purchased used.

Asher

Dr Klaus Schmitt

I'll cut and post the flower!

Is there any advantage of a Biogon with the Leica mount v those made for say a Contax mount if the lens is purchased used.

Asher

The Contax one is quite older that the newer ZM type of course. Still a gorgeous lenses both. On which body would you use it?

Dr Klaus Schmitt

I'm pretty convinced a Biogon 2/35mm could get you this sort of imaging if used on a A7R (but the rays from the deep sitting rear lens group have a rather flat angle to the sensor, so some people report smearing when using such lenses on the A7R, that would rather call for a Distagon 35mm ZE/ZF which has back rays that are much more parallel due to the larger back focal distance, but that lens is larger and heavier of course).

Some downside is the rather large min focus distance of 0.7 meters (Biogon 35mm ZM) - for my flower work, one needs to get closer, but that could be solved using a focusing adapter on the A7.

The ZE/ZF Distagon 2/35mm has only 0.3 meters close focus, certainly a big benefit for such flower work!

So I would try out the Distagon 35mm for instance from lensrentals.com and see if that delivers what you expect from it!

http://www.zeiss.com/camera-lenses/en_de/camera_lenses/slr-lenses/distagont235.html

Dr Klaus Schmitt

What makes me a bit sad now is that it looks as if one just needs the right lens to achieve images like mine.

Photography is not about technology and tools (as all camera companies try to convince us); photography happens behind the viewfinder, that gets forgotten way too often...

Antonio Correia

What makes me a bit sad now is that it looks as if one just needs the right lens to achieve images like mine.

Photography is not about technology and tools (as all camera companies try to convince us); photography happens behind the viewfinder, that gets forgotten way too often...

Well said !!
However, a good equipement always helps.

Asher Kelman

To that end, Klaus, I'll try the Distagon 28 mm 2.0 Anniversary lens!

Also I need to get the close focus adapter.

Asher

Very beautiful photos, Klaus and I completely agree about the artist being behind the lens and not the lens itself.
:)
My fave is probably the back-lit anemone with the little bud. So pretty!
Maggie

Asher Kelman

Very beautiful photos, Klaus and I completely agree about the artist being behind the lens and not the lens itself.
:)
My fave is probably the back-lit anemone with the little bud. So pretty!
Maggie

Maggie and Klaus,

Let's get some reality here. For Rembrandt to paint in the details of the eyes, he needed particular brushes. For sure he could use about any brush to get a great image, but to reach his expected quality, the size, flexibility and nature and uniformity of the hairs in the brush were critical to how the paint would transfer to the canvas. Similarly, champion tennis players have particular preferences for expert rackets. Likewise, the best concert violinists choose old Italian Stradivari or other specific grand sounding instruments.

So it should not come as any surprise, that in the hands of a creative photographer who has mastered understanding of light, composition, timing and approach to the subject, certain lenses help best deliver the image and far better than differently designed or specified lenses.

Here, with these exceptional flowers, we get such a situation where the best tools are validated by the extraordinary results. I say this with cautious reserve and consideration. This is one of those rare examples where one can not only appreciate that someone owns a particularly intriguing instrument but also it's put to use in a unique and spellbinding way.

Anyone can, with enough sacrifice, own any lens they wish, but few can also deliver pictures that take one's breath away.

...and BTW, Sony is delivering a modern Biogon 35mm 2.0 for the A7/r, (as if the current, but different but certainly brilliantly made Zeiss 35mm 2.8 FE is not already enough), for just these reasons! Might even look as nice as this Lamegon............ in the right hands!

Asher