• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Fredericton Railway Bridge - Fredericton NB, Canada '14

Paul Abbott

This old and iconic railway bridge is now a walking bridge and part of a trail system in and around Fredericton. Some in Fredericton say it's the longest walking bridge in the world...Although I'm not sure if that is true but it does take 15mins to walk across.

oldrailwaybridgefredericton600.jpg

Fredericton Railway Bridge - Fredericton NB, Canada '14 - Paul Abbott
RICOH GR w/ GW3 21mm

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
This old and iconic railway bridge is now a walking bridge and part of a trail system in and around Fredericton. Some in Fredericton say it's the longest walking bridge in the world...Although I'm not sure if that is true but it does take 15mins to walk across.

oldrailwaybridgefredericton600.jpg

Fredericton Railway Bridge - Fredericton NB, Canada '14 - Paul Abbott
RICOH GR w/ GW3 21mm

Paul,

That little island of stone and a tree below the second span provides a nicely detailed point of interest to discover. The rocks in the foreground anchor the picture and provide a good reference before following the grand reach of the bridge. The elongated cut stone on the right points us to the center of the second span, and so we enter your picture in several interesting ways, from the upper left and lower right. Your style is rigorous and effective, yet another very well conceived, disciplined and executed shot. One thing for sure, the Ricoh GR must be one of the most effective and efficient travel cameras ever made. The 28 mm focal length works for parties and the town square and the 21 mm has that superb wide, but rectilinear view.

I have the perfect brother to this, the Ricoh GXR with the 28-85 mm f 4.0 zoom module I already have the brilliant 50mm Macro module. Again a delight. I set both cameras to auto bracketing and then if I ever want I can increase the dynamic range too.

Still, for just one camera, the GR is the one I choose too.

Asher

Paul Abbott

Hey Asher, I'm really happy and content with what this 21mm can capture and include in the frame, it has not been off my GR for sometime now. I would love to see a comparison test made that compares it to other 21mm lenses but as far as i'm concerned it performs admirably. I don't even hesitate to use it at wider apertures either. Of course, if you want corner to corner sharpness then f6.7 to f8 is where you need to be.
I have wondered about why we need to set the camera to 'wide' in the menu department because I had forgotten once or twice and I didn't see no image degradation or failure in the image at all...

As for the GXR, I had thought about picking one of them up just like you. In your part of the world does the dynamic range of this camera cope well enough? This has always been an important feature for me...

Regards...

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
.As for the GXR, I had thought about picking one of them up just like you. In your part of the world does the dynamic range of this camera cope well enough? This has always been an important feature for me...

Regards...

Paul,

I've set a my camera to bracket shots. A bus passes - I get shots that can be stitched. There's too much dynamic range shooting at noon, I've a range of 3 stops covering the scene.
Someone is speaking, with the Sony A7R, 5 shots and in them a great candid expression .

Usually, I have just the Ricoh GR set for + & - 1/3 EV to + & - 2 EV and so dynamic range is. I issue.

Same now with the GXR and the 28-85 module. Of course, I end up deleting almost all the extra images, but that's pretty fast.

In the studio, however. I never bracket, just for casual shooting.

Asher