• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Which rail for panoramics

Tim Armes

Hi all,

I'm hoping to buy myself an RSS rail to help to some quality panoramics. RSS offer two possibilities, the MPR-CL (6" slide) or the MPR-CL II (7.44" slide). The site states:

Note: The MPR-CL is only 6 inches long. Unfortunately, this is not long enough to properly position the camera when shooting panos with some zoom lenses. The MPR-CL is long enough if the front nodal point is less than 110mm from the film plane. If shooting panos with a zoom lens, please roughly estimate the nodal point on your lens first before choosing.

Well, that's fair enough, however it raises two questions:

1) Is there a database of of nodal points somewhere so that I can check which one I need?
2) Will the longer rail cause problems with wide lenses. If I put my 10-22mm on the camera, will I see the 7.44" rail? Have any of you tried this (a long shot, I know).

Thanks,

Tim

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Hi Tim,

My rail is 18cm, (7"), long. I use this for the 70-20 IS. I have to teat it on the wide angle later as I was up till 6am (after my OS X hard drive was updated with the latest Apple software update and then vanished)! I have had only 2 hours and 20 minutes sleep. So I'm about to go back to bed.

It's a Mannfrotto Art. 3419. It sits on a RRS plate and on top is the RRS plate that hold the camera at 90 degrees to the length of the Manfrotto rail.

The Manfrotto plate has both quick slide release and also fine micrometer screw to position of the camera along the length of the Manfrotto rail.

I use a RRS L bracket to mount the camera to this!

Today, the software is so good that the nodal point doesn't have to be perfect unless this is for an engineering or architectural company or for close objects.

Let me know what wide angle lens you are planning to use. In any case, with a wide angle lens one would loosen the RRS plate below the Manfrotto rail and move the rail forward so that the optical nodal center of the lens lies over the rotational axis of the tripod head. So it should work then easily. If I know what WA lens you are using and I have it, I can check.

I hope this is helpful.

Asher

Tim Armes

Thanks for the offer.

After speaking to RSS I decided that the best bet would be to get the MPR 92. This allows the camera to slide along the bar and is therefore a more flexible solution. It also has applications in macro photopgraphy since I don't have a dedicated focussing rail.

Tim