• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Focotar 100mm does late autumn in the park

Dr Klaus Schmitt

shot fully open (f5.6 - it is an enlarger lens finally...)

15332497617_ec680711be_o.jpg

15332431928_e96e59b2d2_o.jpg

15495914756_79f4d2475b_o.jpg

15495911786_e3422d802f_o.jpg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
shot fully open (f5.6 - it is an enlarger lens finally...)

15332497617_ec680711be_o.jpg

15332431928_e96e59b2d2_o.jpg

15495914756_79f4d2475b_o.jpg

15495911786_e3422d802f_o.jpg

I'm so surprised at the fact that the aperture is 5.6!

This is beautiful work. Seems more like a large format photography barrel lens. But I guess that's what it is -a lantern lens.

Anything special in the construction?

Asher

Dr Klaus Schmitt

Well, it is a 6x9cm enlarger lens constructed for the best ever negative autofocus enlarger
Leitz (Leica) ever made, and in my opinion the best normal enlarger lens ever. Lens
construction is not known, but I would guess it is a modified double Gauss design.

Asher Kelman

Well, it is a 6x9cm enlarger lens constructed for the best ever negative autofocus enlarger
Leitz (Leica) ever made, and in my opinion the best normal enlarger lens ever. Lens
construction is not known, but I would guess it is a modified double Gauss design.

Would this be your one lens choice for these pictures, if you had to choose? Also at what aperture does the bokeh vanish?

Asher

Dr Klaus Schmitt

Difficult to say Asher, I like to work within self-inflicted boundaries, knowing the do's and don'ts of a lens and using it more or less intuitively within its limits, especially wide open that is.

The bokeh gets a bit harsher once stopped down and the DOF gets quite larger without loosing the subtlenness of transition. f5.6t is a bit too much for me, I'd rather like it to be a bit faster, like the projection lenses I have, but in that case, all was just right as it was. I repeat: I take the lens and its abilities as they are and work within that, there is no wish for more or less when I'm in that state. hmm, hope I made myself clear...

BTw. the "Simplicity" series was shot using the very same lens.

Asher Kelman

The bokeh gets a bit harsher once stopped down and the DOF gets quite larger without loosing the subtlenness of transition. f5.6t is a bit too much for me, I'd rather like it to be a bit faster, like the projection lenses I have, but in that case, all was just right as it was. I repeat: I take the lens and its abilities as they are and work within that, there is no wish for more or less when I'm in that state. hmm, hope I made myself clear...

This is like working with friends. We have to know what each likes to do best!

I'm drawn back to this series of pictures because of the impressive depth of field delivered at 5.6.

At this aperture, are you getting anything like this with the other vintage lenses you have shown here?

Also are these handheld.

With the A7R the shutter is a catastrophe at lower shutter speed. Not only is your DOF excellent and extensive but the images are tack sharp where they need to be.

Asher

Dr Klaus Schmitt

Thanks guys!

Yes, all handheld, all the time. I rather increase ISO up to 640 at times if so needed, but mostly use 200/400. I'm quite good at holding my breath and calming my body for slow shutter speeds.

DOF is not specific to a lens but depends on focal length and f-stop setting. This lens is just so tack sharp and still has smooth bokeh, that creates a 3D effect. Never tried the other lenses at f5.6 for comparison,
except my elusive Zeiss S-Orthoplanar 105mm which is also a f5.6 lens. See HERE and this example:

11190562376_49f4859fd2_o.jpg

My Zeiss Lamegon has similar qualities, also not a fast, but very sharp lens, see HERE and this image:

13840416015_28a0c3b388_o.jpg

But to be honest, I think I can replicate those types of shots with about any reasonably sharp lens ... ;-)

Asher Kelman

Yes, DOF, as defined, may very well be the same, but with the most stellar lenses the peak MTF could be so high that even at fall off, we perceive, perhaps, it as "still in focus", or is perception independent of MTF?

Asher

Dr Klaus Schmitt

Well, I guess it is worth looking at the same object/subject at different apertures and making up one's mind which suits best ;-)