• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

My World: Another Paper Mill

Chris Calohan

The second one is more like what I'd see at my local mill and of course the one I like the best. The first is almost reminescent of a building on fire.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
This time from the outside.

Two takes on two different days (the second one two days after the first one) from two different positions, so here are two pictures (many times 'two' in one phrase):

Michael,

These two pictures have "life". I immediately ask myself questions about what on earth is in the smoke - mostly water vapor or noxious stuff? Still the scene is marvelously engaging.

The first picture is just about perfect. There is no element that has not been include with respect to it's valued place in the composition. The extra slight puff of light smoke in the extreme right shows the extent of consideration to this careful framing. The care pays of with an impressive view of this massive industrial complex.

The second one is so different! It's almost a new style - at least for you!

Here the angle cuts off the origin off the billowing wind driven smoke as we seem to be veering to the right. The direction of the smoke to the left and the linear form of the buildings mimic rail cars of a long freight train speeding out of frame, to the right. So this picture gives the impression of a fast moving train and seems so unrelated, except in the included elements, from the unitary image shown first.

This pair of images demonstrates how point of view and framing can tell a different story of the same event. Kudos!

Asher

Michael Nagel

Chris - Thanks!

Asher,

The 'smoke' is almost exclusively water vapor, nothing to worry about.

I had the second picture 'in my head' for 2-3 years now, but never had the time to take it.
The surprising part for me are the shadows in the water vapor that can be seen to the right side of the picture.
This was not visible to the eye, but the length of the exposure revealed it.

Best regards,
Michael