• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Hello all from Montana

Summer Day

I just happend to come across this forum searching the net on freelance Phototgraphy and thought it could be some use to me.

Im 19 years old and have be photographing for five years now. i took a lot of my fellow classmates seinor Portraits throughout my highschool days. Id say around twenty or so. and it really wasent just limited to my high school. There is a school for troubled teens in the area that needed to have some one come to campus to take their portraits so my multimeda Teacher took up the job but she needed some assentence. She asked for my help multpual times. Thats not the only thing that she had me help her with. I was also and aide to her for adult photography classes an after school job. i did three differnent courses. but it had to come to an end because the school didnt want to pay me any more because i graduated. Then my teacher asked me if i wanted to do a wedding. i said sure. Now to date i have done two weddings that turned out awesome. but now i dont have anytime to get out and photograph i work a full time job thats so boring it drains me so when i go home all i want to do is eat and go to bed! The good thing about my job is that i get to sell my photographs well my photocards. I would like to sell my prints but my job dont pay that well to get the big prints. It takes me a while to save the money for that. So i geuss what im trying to get at is that does anyone know where i should go from here? how do i get magazines to look at my work? big compines? or even the big timers like runway photographers that want to take to a kid under their wing?

Summer Day

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Welcome!

Start posting images here, first in Layback Cafe, to share and get intitial feedback or directly in the special forums.

That way you will get feedback from experienced photographers. Some will be great others might not be relevent to your goals but you have to be selective in using comment.

Join a local photography club where you will make contacts with working phototographers.

To do runway you need a lot of experience, skill and to work under your belt. To get a runway photographer to take you on as an assistant you need a portfolio of your work. The help of others in your photography community might help you set this up.

Don't burn your bridges and visit the pro until you know that you have a portfolio that can sell you.

I don't know where you are located. There are great schools and evening programs in every major city where you can get training, guidance and experience.

You are yoiung so even if you do struggle to get though the economical roadblocks, you can end up well equipped.

For now, weekend jobs assisting wedding photographers, since you have done two, can get you some cash to save and more experience.

I know a dental assistant who did her training in Santa Monica college, taking fulltime courses everytime she saved enough for a block of training.

Good luck and welcome.