• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

What's your street lens?

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Everyone has a favorite!

A prime or a zoom, a rangefinder manual focus or DSLR?

What's yours and show some examples of its versatility!

Asher

Kathy Rappaport

pro member
24-70l 2.8

Well, I've been using the 24-70 2.8 but I just bought the 24-105 for my 5. So I will swap back and forth for a while while I decide which one I like best. I took this in San Francisco at the Love Fest Parade. The press were taking their photos from the front and the spokesmodels I called the Feather Girls were posing.

67600287.KGQLPbmJ.jpg

Asher Kelman

Yes, the 24-105 is a gem. I am impressed with the range and the quality. Also being IS, make it seem like it is not just f4.0.

Still when I walked around for weeks with only an M8 with just 28mm lens (x1.3 = 34.2mm equiv), I was happy. Everything could be done with that one lens, except of course sports and birds!

Then, for the past several weeks, with my new 50mm 1.2, I feel I don't need another lens for most occaisions. Now how can I be so satisfied with primes?

I guess, it's like romance, we adapt to the one at hand and say it's perfect!

That's what puzzles me. In reality, I should be saying that the 24-105mm lens is the ideal street lens, but why is it I leave it at home? Is it a conceit or could it be that working with one lens at a time give us beter pictures?

Asher

Sue Butler

Street Lens

Hi Asher,

I have to agree with you. The 24-105 lens is great but the prime lenses definitely make you work harder and think more about where to be when taking a picture.

Your feet become your zoom and I think it makes you more focused on creating the picture you want and becoming involved rather than standing back and using your zoom to capture the picture from a distance. I must admit I really have to gather courage to use my prime lenses up close but it's been good for me and good for my photography.

I have been using the 50mm and 35mm for the last year (approx) and in the last 1-2 weeks bought the 24-105mm for taking overseas in March this year.
I couldn't believe how attuned I'd become using the 50mm and using my feet as my zoom until I had the 24-105mm on my camera and realized I didn't have to move to get the same picture. It was actually kind of disappointing and took the actual 'thinking' of creating a picture from me.

So now I'm back to thinking what lenses to take with me overseas and if I'll even take the 24-105mm.

BTW, the 24-105mm is lovely and sharp and has really nice colour!!

Regards,
Sue

Ken Tanaka

pro member
Yes, indeed, the 24-105mm f/4 is a wonderful general lens with perfect focal length range and excellent sharpness and contrast. Nothing much to add to its laurels.

But it can be a bit bulky, even on a small camera like the 5D. I am currently working on a project to document --well -- a street here in Chicago. As I can generally predict the nature of, and distance to, my subjects in this work, I've found that small, light primes really make my 5D into a wonderfully small, agile instrument. As Susie notes, yes, primes do make you work harder for each image but the results, and small primes' contribution to the compactness of your photo gear, can be very worthwhile.

In particular, I have been most often using two modest Canon lenses. The EF 50mm f/1.4 is hard to beat for lightness, compactness, sharpness, contrast and speed. It's simply superb.

For example:
73617913.jpg

I also had been using my EF 24mm f/1.4L and EF 35mm f.1.4L for wider coverage. Although these are both superb lenses they are each just a bit bulkier and heavier than I sometimes want to carry. So I've recently been using the often overlooked EF 28mm f/1.8 for wide scene coverage. It's a wonderful small light, sharp, relatively inexpensive lens that I sometimes use solely all day.

For example:
73612331.jpg

Lately, however, I've sometimes been leaving my dslr cameras home in favor of using a Canon G7. Its p&s form factor make it the most inconspicuous type of camera today, far more so than any Leica M. But its performance puts it ahead of anything I've used in this class of camera. For example:

73208220.jpg

70298660.jpg

(BTW, having been a Leica M7 (film) user I naturally looked forward to the M8 for such work. But with the quirkiness and general lack of reliability of early models of this costly camera I've begun to reevaluate my real need for it at all.)

Only the image counts to me. The best instruments for any job are the ones with which you are comfortable and adept.

Harvey Moore

35L, 50L, one on the 5D, other in a pocket or small bag.

As an old M3 and M4 user, I too was enthused about the M8. In a moment of temporary insanity I made a spreadsheet of funds possible by selling my Canon gear. Then a dealer friend loaned me his personal M8 for a couple of days. Files were too close to the 5D for me to spend $10K for a body and three lenses, let alone the launch problems with it.

Ken Tanaka

pro member
How are you liking that 50L, Harvey? I've become so enamored with my little f/1.4 that it's hard for me to imagine trading it for the larger but faster (and much more costly) f/1.2L. But if it's really worth the jump...

Harvey Moore

Ken, The IQ from the 50L is very close to the 35L, I am basically pleased with the performance.

There is a little backfocus in AF mode at < 4' or so, but to me that is manual focus range.
I purchased after deciding thumbs down on M8, so it seemed inexpensive at the time.

Here is a sample at f2 at about 5' in af, the first outing with it after tests.

And the grandmothers clothes really were "magenta" lol

340038332_21904b4ebe_o.jpg

Lee Roberts

Years ago I used to use only fixed focal length lenses as zooms suffered a slight loss of quality because the elements needed to move to cover all the focal lengths. Nowadays with better glass and housings that is all I use. I have a Canon 20D and use their 24-70 2.8L. Sorry, no examples I can post right now. Will try and get some later.

Mark Coons

Everyone has a favorite!

Asher

Well I guess my current choice is my Canon EF 28-135mm IS but I have been having second thoughts about it.

109027360-M-2.jpg

109027350-M-2.jpg

I have been considering replacing it with a Canon EF 24-105mm F/4L IS lens.

Asher Kelman

Ken, The IQ from the 50L is very close to the 35L, I am basically pleased with the performance.

There is a little backfocus in AF mode at < 4' or so, but to me that is manual focus range.
I purchased after deciding thumbs down on M8, so it seemed inexpensive at the time.
Hi Harvey,

Are you saying the 50 1.2L has backfoucus less than 4ft or the 35 1.4L?

Asher

Asher Kelman

Canon EF 24-70mm f2.8L USM is the one I use since I sold my Canon EF-S 17-85mm f4-5.6 IS USM and have grown to love the upgrade. I am lucky to have a sharp copy as I understand those are not so easy to come by.

Hi Tony,

Would you feel short changed by the 24-105 L IS or you'd miss the extra stop?

Asher

Scott B. Hughes

Asher, that stop is precious stuff.

We often find ourselves in the ISO1600 range at 2.8 and shutter speeds which are tough w/o IS.

INteresting times.

Asher Kelman

Scott and Tony,

To me, a 24-105 2.8L IS would be just about perfect for almost anything!

If it was possible, I'd pay $2,000 for it! Would you?

Asher

Scott B. Hughes

If it's sharp throughout the range and has a nice 'look', you bet... I'd plunk down two big ones.

Wait, I'm looking forward to that 1D3, the 50/1.2 and a 135/2... and the 35/1.4.

The 35L interests me..... any comments?

Asher Kelman

Scott,

The remarkable lens is going to be the 16-35 2.8L II is going to be superb. Of that you can be sure!

They need it not for the 1DIII, although it's nice.

They MUST have it at least by October 2007 when for sure the 1Ds MarkIII will be let out for your pleasure. Then there has to be high quality wide angle lenses. This is why we have had the 50 1.2L and now the 16-35 2.8 L. All updated for sure and corrected to be stellar.

I'll eat my hat if it isn't that great.

Otherwise we have a super duper 22-24MP 1DSIII with challenged lenses for where the full frame is important!

Asher

Scott B. Hughes

I'm with ya!

Scott,

The remarkable lens is going to be the 16-35 2.8L II is going to be superb. Of that you can be sure!

They need it not for the 1DIII, although it's nice.

They MUST have it at least by October 2007 when for sure the 1Ds MarkIII will be let out for your pleasure. Then there has to be high quality wide angle lenses. This is why we have had the 50 1.2L and now the 16-35 2.8 L. All updated for sure and corrected to be stellar.

I'll eat my hat if it isn't that great.

Otherwise we have a super duper 22-24MP 1DSIII with challenged lenses for where the full frame is important!

Asher

Louis Doench

Pretty much a Canonite discussion...

Stuck w/ Nikonian gear until I can get my hands on a K10d, My street lens is a 24-105 macro on a D1x, and a 16mm Zenitar Fisheye for wide angle stuff.

Antonio Correia

I have been reading your writtings and here are my thoughts about the "street lens".
I have 1*20D and 1*350 D.
To begin with I should have bought 2*20D to work with two iddentical cams, what is easier on the scene ...
Lenses: 16-35 f/2.8 my 1.st, then a 24-70 f/2.8 and at last the 70-200 IS L USM f/2.8
When I had only the 2 first lenses I was using only the 20D.The 350D was for my wife before she gave up and turned to the old Sony xyz.
Then I was changing lenses all the time, or sometimes.

When she gave up the 350D I decided I would carry 2 cams: the 20D with the 16-35 and the 350D with the 70-200.
This avoids me the annoyance of the dust on sensors when changing lenses.

So, the 24-70 is parked at home.
I was, before having all these lenses, a lover of whide angles and I still am. But each lens has it's own use.
I like to 70-200 for it's versatility for rather long distance shots like portraits.
But I do like the 16-35 also very much because it captures the mood of the place very well.

Then, my street lens is ... no, are: 16-35 and 70-200.
I am going to India next month. I'll take both lenses, a flash, CPF and ND. No tripod.
I have to think about my backs. With two cams and these lenses I can (almost) cover any situation. May be I would like something whider for some times... but one can't have everything in life.

I read somewhere here in the net - from a professional - that the 24-105 was not a good lens. It sucks he said. He looked like an expert because he had some very nice tuttorials on line. (If I looked I could find him but is not the point here).

But one thing I am sure (and I am not sure of many things in life):
a lens with large apperture is a plus.
I post here two pictures. The 1.st with the 16-35. This picture would not (?) be possible with any other lens.
110084612-M.jpg

"The place is very difficult... It is a cave, low light, 3200 ISO f/2.8 slow speed in the limit or over the handheld ...
Only with a lens like the 16-35 f/2.8 (or one like the new one from Canon 24-105 f/4.0 with IS ? ) this is possible.
I had sustained my breath, legs apart, arms close to the body and took several shots.
In the cave men collect the nests from swallows, climbing throught bamboo scarfolds endangering their lives ...
The nests are sold in Japan at huge prices cooked as soop.
I really wanted to taste but it was not available ...
The smell in the cave is kind of disgusting, interesting, strange and agressive: the mixture of the excrements of the birds from many many years ... amoniac smell !
There are "villages" of cocroaches also. On the walls. Interesting.
Excrements may fall on your head !"

The light on his head should be on. I couldn't remember at the time...
The other with the 70-200 in a complete different situation.
89151631-M.jpg

Hope I made myself understand. Thank you for reading.

Dan Lovell

For a street lens, and on a full frame I love the 50L...the 50mm focal length is perfect for street IMHO....2nd best for me is the 35L.

Mike Funnell

Everyone has a favorite!

Asher
If I were to use a zoom, I'd use my EF-S 17-55mm f2.8 IS (availability of this lens is one of the actual advantages of a crop-factor camera). Its fast, it has IS and it has a good zoom range (its the rough equivalent of a 28-90 on full-frame). While I think its a good lens, its pretty bulky and obvious. People seem to really notice when a 77mm objective surrounded by a large hood is pointed at them. So, I mostly use it for other things.

Instead, for "street" type shooting I've mostly been using small, fast, cheap primes like my..

Canon EF 50mm f1.8

or Canon EF 35mm f2

They are both small and discreet (and did I say cheap?), and do a decent enough job.

However, of late I've been using a film RF camera much more for this kind of shooting (a digital RF being beyond the reach of my current budget). For reasons I could easily speculate on, I tend to "see wider" with an RF than an SLR, and shoot mostly with my...

Konica M-Hexanon 50mm f2

or Konica M-Hexanon 35mm f2

But I also use 75mm and 28mm focal lengths occasionally.

...Mike

Antonio Correia

I am now in Kerala, India.

I don't have time to read the post which has been written after mine, but till now I can tell you this:

I brought 2 * 20 D. One with the 16-35 and the other with th 24-70.
The first with a CPF and the second with a NDF 4.

As far as it goes I found one important thing:
The filters give a spectacular result to the photos in terns of density. I rarely have a blown up sky, I mean a burned sky.

I am amazed !
I have suspected of this fact but now I am sure.

On the wide angle I use a resident 430 EX flash set at 2/3 of power and HSS (Hight Speed Sync) or SCS (Second Curtain Sync) with good results.

I have to go now to have dinner because I don't want the group to wait for me.
Soon, photos from Kerala, India.
Cheers.

Antonio Correia

Antonio,

ND Filter 4 is split?

Bom apetite!

Asher

Asher,

I don't understand what you mean by the filter beeing split !...
The filter is grey and it's grade is 4.

In this hotel - in Kerala - there is a card reader.
Unfortunately I have backed up the photos and formated the CFs...

I can't post any pic. Oh I forgot ! They are all in RAW format. So, I really could not post any of them ...

Menawhile my friends, try the NDF or the CPF and see the results !

Cheers. :)

Asher Kelman

Antonio,

I mean that the grey is on the top to correspond to the sky. There is a gradient after that at the transition to clear. That way the sky is passed through the NDF while the land is not changed!

Asher

Antonio Correia

Antonio,

I mean that the grey is on the top to correspond to the sky. There is a gradient after that at the transition to clear. That way the sky is passed through the NDF while the land is not changed!

Asher

Asher,

My ND filter is not graded.

The gray is not on top.
The filter is all gray, like a CPF ...

I'm home now and I'll be happy p show you some results in a few days time.

Thank you.