• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

What to Charge????

Brian Lowe

Hello fellow OPF-ers

I have a question and would like your opinions on how much to charge for shooting a event?

I have a good friend who is an outstanding graphic designer and he is going to have his own gallery showing of his work in April. He has asked me if I would photograph his opening at the gallery(and is willing to pay me).

It’s my understanding I am to take photos of the guest at the opening mingling around the designs and capture the evening. They are expecting about 150 guest at the opening and I will be needed for 3 hours.

My Question

What is the going rate for a photographer for 3 hours of work?

(And when I say 3 hours of work I am asking just for my time shooting at the event)

The only thing he has asked (other than the 3 hours of shooting) is for me provide a minimum of 70 4x6 proofs of the event. And in return I’ll be allowed to offer for sell the photos of the evening through my photos site.

Many thanks for your advice,

Brian

P.S. I have shot several events before as part of my job where I work but I am on the payroll so I am outta touch as what to charge as in independent photographer of an event.

Kathy Rappaport

pro member
No just 3 hours

Shooting is just the start.

I did some survey work on what people are charging because I am in the process of determining what to charge. Aside from asking what will the market bear?, you have to figure out what the true amount of time will be.

If three hours of shooting the actual event, and say 1.5 hours more or less- to getting there and back in Los Angeles to your studio (or home) and upload time and PP time. And the time to pack your bag and check your equipment? I think it will take you 10 to 12 hours to just get to the images he wants - maybe more depending on if you need much in the way of Post. What will your friend expect of the images as well?

Then you have to figure out your level of experience and what knowledge you bring to the table as far as charging on the high end/low end or middle.

What would you be happy with on an hourly basis for this shoot? $50? $100? $200?
The web research I did tends to run at least $100 per hour for events to start at the low end but there are the Craigslist shooters who are less and worse some are free. I hope I gave you food for thought and a place to start.

Brian Lowe

Kathy thank you for your response that helps a lot and give me a few other things to consider as well.

Also, anyone else have any comments on what to charge for event shooting on my original post?

Now this brings up anther question what would one charge per hour for post processing?

Manny Thanks,
-Brian-

Also, anyone else have any comments on what to charge for event shooting on my original post?

Take what you make an hour doing other work and add on your costs (fuel, travel time, depreciation of gear from usage) and add up the number of hours. Adjust this to make it worth your time. If the money is not worth your time, then perhaps a lower price as a gift to a friend is fine. But let them know it is a gift so they advertise your work at a price worth your time.

Now this brings up anther question what would one charge per hour for post processing?

How fast of an editor are you? How fast is your computer?

If you are the limiting factor in getting work done, then make it worth your time at a rate you feel your time is worth. If you $xx dollars an hour doing work A, then you should be asking that much for your time at a minimum. If you do not feel your work is worth that much, then perhaps you should practice some more.

If your computer is the limiting factor, then charge less if you feel the need to be able to look someone in the eye and say it is a fair value.

In short, is it worth your time? If not, then it is too little.

enjoy your day,

Sean

Jim Davies

I've done a couple of jobs like this for a friend who is a graphic designer. I got £350 for a shoot lasting 3 hours + 3 hours travel + a further 3-4 hours pp. So 10 hours in total = £35/hour ($70 per hour).

If it was my sole source of income I'd be charging a lot more.

Mike Mahoney

Assuming that the pics you take at the event require some editing and post-processing I would not look at the post-processing as a seperate charge, but would include it in the rate you charge to do the shoot.

The amount of PP required is usually minimal, perhaps some levels and color balance along with some cropping and clients generally expect to see their photos in pretty good shape when you hand them over.

But if someone requires PP seperate from a shoot then you would certainly charge for that. As for what you could or should charge for your services I can only say that day and usage rates vary widely depending on the skill of the shooter and the intended use of the photographs.

Many skilled event shooters would look at three hours as a half-day and be in the $400-500 range plus usage if the use is to be extensive.
Mike

Don Lashier

For "non artistic" hourly type stuff I charge $100/hour and usually figure the PP time is more or less equal to shooting time, so in your case I would charge $600 plus travel time if applicable. I usually charge 1/2 for travel ($50/hour). Web proofs included - any prints are extra.

For a "good friend" I would probably charge less, or if I liked their work would offer to trade.

- DL

Brian,

For "non artistic" hourly type stuff I charge $100/hour and usually figure the PP time is more or less equal to shooting time, so in your case I would charge $600 plus travel time if applicable. I usually charge 1/2 for travel ($50/hour). Web proofs included - any prints are extra.

For a "good friend" I would probably charge less, or if I liked their work would offer to trade.

- DL

My line of thinking/charging for this type of event is almost identical to what Don's said.
Count shooting time, add 100% for PP, $100/hr, add travel time at $50/hr.
Any prints, unless prepaid, are extra (think $10 for 4x6, $30 for 8x10, etc.)
She wants 70 of 4x6 - well, I'd say, if it's prepaid and her being a friend, make it $3/ea, so roughly $200 for the prints.

And I would not have any - let me repeat, ANY - hopes that anybody else, including her would purchase anything else, so you can't seriously plan on any extra $$ (or even $) coming out of this.

I know $800 (w/o travel) for the whole thing sounds like a lot, but this *is* a pro rate. She wants a kid with a cell phone taking pictures - she might as well hire one...

HTH