• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

The Frist Pinhole Image with and M8

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
My friend has perhaps a first.

Steve Teiltebaum invited me to his place to mess around with the M8 files at the end of last year. To my surprise he came out with an iexpensive pinhole body cap which in one twist converted his very expensive M8 long awaited Leica M8 into a unique pinhole camera.

Here's one of his first shots

L1001689Pinhole M8 Steve TeitelbaumPinhole M8 Steve Teitelbaum.jpg

I love the return to the wonder of pinhole photograqphy.

Who else has secretly gone worked their fantastic new cameras with pinholes in place of lenses?

Asher

Last edited:

Jay Hoss

MY first and favorite pinhole camera was a 30 gallon steel trash can. Used 16x20 BW paper for negs. Still have many of them hanging on my walls. It was always fun changing the "film" in the field.

Louis Doench

how?

My friend has perhaps a first.

Steve Teilebaum invited me to his place to mess around with the M8 files at the end of last year. To my surprise he came out with an iexpensive pinhole body cap which in one twist converted his very expensive M8 long awaited Leica M8 into a unique pinhole camera.

Here's one of his first shots

L1001689Pinhole M8 Steve TeitelbaumPinhole M8 Steve Teitelbaum.jpg

I love the return to the wonder of pinhole photograqphy.

Who else has secretly gone worked their fantastic new cameras with pinholes in place of lenses?

Asher

how does one go about setting sucha device up?

Buy a spare body cap for your camera. Take a drill or Dremel type tool and make a large hole in the center of the body cap (1-15 mm in diameter). Then take a piece of metal foil and a needle and make a tiny hole in the foil. Mount the foil on the body cap with the holes aligned and shoot away.

The smaller the hole in the body cap the better it protects the foil (mounted on the backside) while the larger the hole in the body cap the easier aligning the holes is. Be careful mounting the foil inside the body cap and ensure nothing sticks out as you do not want to monkey with your cameras internals.

The reasoning behind the foil is it is easier to pierce and less expensive than the body cap. One can also buy premade precision pinholes made in small sheets of metal foil which can yield sharper images (less ragged hole) or more DoF (tinier hole).

And please be aware doing this may void your warranty. So exercise your best judgement.

all the best,

Sean

In the end you have room to exeriment here as the tools are cheap.

I wonder what the relationship is between the pinhole image I see on my computer monitor and the pinhole image the M8 saw.