• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Another Barn

StuartRae

Last September I visited my aunt in Cambridgeshire. My cousin took me for a ride down memory lane in his Range Rover. One of the places he took me was the farm where I was born and spent the first 20 years of my life. I was shocked to see that it had become a victim of the bigger is better syndrome, and that only the barn had survived, presumably because it was useful for storage.
It was my childhood playroom.

barn-3.jpg

I'm not asking for any C&C because the subject is rather emotional, and I've left the image largely uncropped to emphasize the barn's isolation.

Here is an arial photo of the farm in its entirety.

http://web.ukonline.co.uk/sw.rae/examples/Farm-2.jpg

Regards,

Stuart

Mary Bull

A fine barn in its bleak setting--it's easy to share in your memories with this view and the aerial photo, Stuart. Pictures accompanied by words are the best way to share, I think, short of getting to actually be there.

Mary

StuartRae

The other thing that this shot illustrates is what I've said before about the Photomatix Tone Mapping plugin. I kept this version because I liked the detail it had got out of the clouds, but it has introduced some false colour, almost green, to parts of them.

Stuart

Cem_Usakligil

A fine barn in its bleak setting--it's easy to share in your memories with this view and the aerial photo, Stuart. Pictures accompanied by words are the best way to share, I think, short of getting to actually be there...
Hi Stuart,

Thx for sharing. Besides the fact that I agree with Mary -who has eloquently expressed her thoughts as usual- I would like to tell you the feelings/emotions this picture evokes in me. I hope you will not consider it as a C&C, because it isn't.

Various feelings I get are:
- loneliness, being left alone behind
- passing of time
- being left to the mercy of the elements

Most importantly though, I remember my own youth when I would play alone in similar buildings around where we lived, buildings that were already decaying then. It was always a thrilling experience being around them, trying to guess who had lived there before, how it was, how it would look on the inside if one could snek in for a peek, feelings of uneasiness coupled to excitement, feelings of leaving the current plane of realism and getting lost in a fantasy world, etc. I guess I should stop now before some shrink replies to my post (LOL).

Cheers,