• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Stand for Octadome

ron_hiner

I have an elincrhome 7 foot octadome. I put it on the top of a photoflex 'heavy duty' lightstand -- and it's not near heavy duty enough. Every time I use it, I'm terrified of the whole rig crashing down. The stand gets a nice bow from the offset weight of the softbox and head.

Its not so much the weight of the light that is the problem, its the fact that it is so far offset of the center of the stand.

So... what is the right lightstand for this? Ideally, I'd like even like a stand that can put the octadome out on a boom. But I'd be happy even without the boom, if I wasn't concerned with a crash and burn.

Thanks in advance!

Ron

I use the lightstand that was intended for it, it's a big unit with 4 wheels so you can move it arround the studio, it's expensive but it works wonders.

You can also use a heavy duty lightstand for it, it never crashed in my studio before I got the original one.

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
I have an elincrhome 7 foot octadome. I put it on the top of a photoflex 'heavy duty' lightstand -- and it's not near heavy duty enough. Every time I use it, I'm terrified of the whole rig crashing down.....
Hi Ron

For those like me that shoot 90% outdoor it would be nice to see a snap of your gear in situation...
Thanks in advance if you can post that!

Same to Frank!

Do not use a lightstand, use a tripod. I find litestands are terrible in the field (at least ones small enough that I will carry them for mile) as lighting modifiers and kites act very similar in the slightest breeze.

Since a US tripod will typically have a 3/8 inch 16 turn bolt out the top putting a lighting stud on one with a pliers should be reasonably secure.

a thought,

Sean