• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Photographs that get published: libel per quod.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
You take a picture, license its use or even give it to paper or an agency and feel proud they use it.

However, don't let anyone change your caption without letting you know or holding you harmless.

Imagine you take a wonderful picture of someone sleeping in Central Park, New York.

Be careful how they use the picture.

First the caption must be honest and not defame.

Certainly reporters who caption the picture "Park Benches used by Sleeping Drug Users" or editors who add text on Drug Users in Central Park associated with the picture have, IMHO, crossed the line and may very well be legally libel.

Such cases, in which people are defamed by your photograph because of implied meaning because of it's title or context in a publication, ccould, IMHO, be claimed to be libel per quod.

I discovered libe per quod in my study of photographer's rights and the law.

This is so important that I thought it's worth noting.

Now has anyone had experience of bad captions or context for their pictures once under control of a publication or agency?

Asher