• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Ice Things / Grand River / Michigan

This shot is from a stop at the river after an errand. This is my third "official" crop of the photo and is my favorite so far ( I think ).

Given the near-zero temperatures in this area of the country today, this offers both a "reflection" (hah! get it!?) of the cold weather that is upon us and hope for what is to come ( a thaw! )...

Critique welcomed!

icethingsiii.jpg

Pentax K10d + Tamron 90mm SP Macro

Kyle Nagel

Looks nice, my only "critique" would possibly be with the aspect ratio of the crop. It looks to me as if it would would look more pleasing as 3:2 ratio, or maybe even a 4:3. Possibly cropping a little from the right side and giving some more back to the top and/or bottom (assuming there is something to give back and it works with the image). It's hard to say if it will work since I'm not sure what's been cropped away, I did notice you mentioned it was your third crop, I myself struggle with the "perfect" crop on a lot of my images. Out of curiosity, where was this taken?

(On a side note, how do you like your K10D so far?)

Kyle

Grand River / Grand Rapids, MI

I love my K10. Great Camera. Options and controls very well laid out. Many, flexible options. Auto-focus is very good. Really cranks on the "older" lenses. I am looking forward to the sonic-drive DA* lenses next month (!!!).

My copy does have a high-iso issue I will be getting it repaired for. I'm having trouble finding the right time to part with it though :(

I will try the cropping advice you mentioned - there are some obstructions in the image that I have been trying to work around.

BTW -- After posting I was looking around and noticed the Macro forum. Is it okay to post this kind of thing here, or should I have posted this image there?

Kyle Nagel

There is probably more than one place that you could have posted it, since the K10D is a new camera it is nice to see it posted here as an example. You could have also put it under the Macro and Close-up forum you mentioned, and it may also be appropriate in the Landscape forum, or even the Retouching and Repairing forum. It's really up to you, however Asher will on occasion move posts if he feels they are more appropriate somewhere else, so I wouldn't be too concerned.

What is the high ISO problem you're having?

Kyle

The high-iso problem with my K10d is a type of banding. I've seen some examples of the "vertical" noise banding, but this is different. The banding on my copy is mostly horizontal, although there does seem to be a vertical component, and has nothing to do with noise, although it does show up best in the underexposed area of the image.

The banding is very precise, thin lines, regularly spaced.

I wanted to take a look at the noise pattern so I took a shot that I thought would show it. Between the kitchen area and my dining room there is a half-wall that sticks out. With just the kitchen light on (leaving the dining room dark), the half-wall casts a nice defining shadow on a neutral colored wall. I presumed the noise pattern would show up there. I was surpised to see the regularly spaced, thin lines.

I called Pentax, they told me to send it in. Now, when do I part with it?!

Kyle Nagel

I discussed this in another thread where I mention that I believe these banding issues are specific to individual cameras, though yours appears to be of a different incarnation. I have tried producing banding on mine with no luck, and some other owners I have spoken with have also been unable to produce it on theirs. However there are obviously those that can produce it, so it may be a QC issue. I did mention it to the Pentax Rep shortly after the camera came out and he said that he would pass the information on. Hopefully they have figured it out and they can get yours back up and running quickly. Do you not have another body to use in the meantime? I kept my *istD as a back-up in case I ever had a problem I wouldn't be without a camera.

If and when they get it fixed please let us know what the problem was, if they were able to correct it, and how long it took. This would be good information for those with a similar problem.

Kyle