• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

MF and LF cameras: who has one in use?

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Hi everyone,

We want to build up our activity in Large Fromat and MF photography.

I want to encourage people to post if they own a camera and share pictures!

Asher

Stephen Best

I've been using 4x5 for 25 years. I'm not sure there's much new to say about LF but I'd be happy to field any queries. I may even pick up some new tricks!

How come Pets get their own forum but LF has to share with MF? :).

Asher Kelman

LF and MF are indeed separate, but in the same place!

Once we get enough in each, we'll split them up if people want.

It all depends on how much the LF is used with Digital Backs or else, with film, the old fashioned but tried and true way!

Today, architecture photography might use a variety of camera platforms but the same digital back with adaptors. So in that sense, MF and LF belong together.

Rainer, for example uses a multishot Sinar back with a specialized LF camera so he has very precise movements and can use modern digital lenses. He has the possiblitlity of using that back on other bodies.

With film as the recording medium, it did make much more sense to separate camera platforms. But today, digital backs are the common expensive denominator with the platform being that tihng between the seonsor and the special lenses.

Wil Thompson and Erik DeBill are each active with LF, but use film. We want people to pull out their LF cameras, and prove that it is yet possible to work with film and do magic.

Asher

Erik DeBill

As mentioned, I'm actively using mine. I recently passed the 100 exposures mark, which makes me a bit of a newb, but I get to take the beanie off now. So far, I love it - though it's considerably more work to produce a final print (I'm printing digitally).

My second large format camera finally shipped from Japan - with luck I'll be able to report back on it next week.

Two friends just got Bronicas. We're planning to do a comparison of 35mm, medium and large format, all done with the same film, developer and scanner. We'll probably throw in Canon and Nikon digital just for completeness :)

Asher Kelman

Thanks Erik and Will!

Having active work in film is so important.

Obviously it is not suitable for product in general. For weddings though, a dozen film shots can provide and extra dimension to the experience for the bride.

For the landscape photographer this medium should not be ignored as it has the capability of delivering images of exceptional depth and character not matched by most digital cameras. For B& W and Platinum prints, a piece of film is still the first way to consider!

Asher

Will Perlis has also recently revisited film. We shot together, him with a Leica and film, myself with the M8. We'll post that shortly in the Rangefinder M8 forum.