• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Nikon D200 full frame??

i was just wondering if the Nikon D200 is a full frame DSLR? I know it has been compared to the
Canon 5D, but the 5D is much more money. I currently own a Digital Rebel XT, but want to move into a more professional camera like the D200 or the Canon 5D. Any input on this would be very helpful.

Thanks
Aaron

Josh Liechty

The D200 has a 1.5X cropped sensor. In my experience, the D200 is a great camera. However, if you have spent much already on Canon lenses for your Digital Rebel, then the 5D - also a great camera - makes more sense.

the reason i was looking at a Nikon is becuase they have a perfect fisheye lens for what i will shooting, mostly skateboard photos. the lens is the 10.5mm f/2.8G Nikon Fisheye, but as i have learned fisheyes on crop factor camera dont give the full fisheye look or you get the black edges. What Nikon camera has a full frame censor??

Thanks
Aaron

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
Bonjour Aaron
Nikon has no full frame. It is a technically and marketing decision from them since a long time.

This is why they have developped specific wide lenses to try to compete with full frame wide angles.
The good point (I have been a Nikonian for long before switching to... Full frame) is that you get very loooooooong long lenses...
The other one is that you should get less vignetting with "cropped" sensors.

Hope it helps, there are a lot of Nikonians here that can keep you updated with fish-eye/Nikon combinations...

Have a great day

Joel Schochet

Hi, guys,

At the moment, Nikon does not have a DSLR with anything other than a 1.5 crop. But that may change within a couple of years. Thom Hogan has educated thoughts, and he's right more often than he's wrong. See here: http://www.bythom.com/oldnews.htm under "What, no predictions?" Unlike Thom, I believe the days of "H" and "X" are over, and the next professional DSLR - the D3 - will be "full frame" with a high speed crop (like the D2x and D2xs have) of 1.5, so you'll still be able to see what your dx lenses are seeing.

I have the 10.5 fisheye and it gives true fisheye photos. Nikon Capture allows you to view and print the photos as super-wide angle, de-fished photos, but according to Bjorn Rorslett, the Remap module in Panorama Tools [ http://www.all-in-one.ee/~dersch/ ] does a better job. http://www.naturfotograf.com/lens_fish.html

The lens is very light and easy to carry along, so I have it with me almost all of the time. We'll be going to Bryce soon, and it should get another workout there.

Joel

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Incidentally, people use the Canon 15mm defished as an ultrawide angle with good results too but one is cropping away at leasy 30% of one's pixels.

Asher

Steve Saunders

The D200 is a very very good camera. High ISO noise is a bit better than the D2X, that's what I find anyway as I use both. I generally leave my D200 attached to the 300VR f2.8 and it is good enough for sports work.