• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Non-Professional Behaviour of the Pro

As some of you may already know, I got to cover a big local bicycle charity event, Tour De Palm Springs.
Early in the morning, when the riders were still gathering around the starting arch, I noticed this other guy. He looked like a pro, carrying two EOS 1D bodies, one with 17-40 another with 70-200.
The whole starting place was rather small, but definitely big enough for several of us, so I didn't mind him at first. But them the situation changed.
The organizers asked me to get a few "shots with dignitaries". You know how it goes: shot with the girls in tiaras, shot with the sponsors, shot with the special guest, shot with the heads of organizing committee.. It's kinda mundane job, but you still want to do it right: you want the clean background, you want the right postures, etc.

And this is where it started. Imagine: you're lining the group up, making sure everyone looks great, stepping back to take a shot, and in this very moment somebody else jumps in to a like 2 ft from the group and start taking "in your face" closeups with the flash. Of course, the subjects are all confused, they do not know which camera to look at, etc.

If this is not "paparazzi" style, I don't know what is. And let me tell you - I didn't like it at all. I would not have any problem with him taking the shots I posed (and some pros do, I know that for a fact)- but, gosh, have a decency to wait a second...

No wonder I heard later that organizers wanted to kick him out of the premises...

Kathy Rappaport

pro member
My experience too

Nik,

I am so sorry that happened to you. It isn't just limited to this type of event either. We were in San Francisco for a class and went to the LoveFest Parade in September Our teacher got permission from the organizers of the event to shoot at the staging area. We were mindful of some of the pros there, but, there were a ton of amateurs with their gear without permission just getting in the way of everyone.

I am concerned for the wedding I am shooting in May with all the guests who have digital cameras now. Those flashes can just ruin a good shot. I was thinking of some polite way of letting people know that they should not take photos during the ceremony since it's a restaurant. I can deal with the other times. But those moments can't be recaptured.

A friend of mine just today was telling me of his trip to Antartica - certainly a trip of a lifetime. One man with pro gear kept pushing his way in front of all the other guests, probably all amateurs, who had a right to take their photos too. Just because he had better gear (A Nikon top of the line) than the others.

I think it's all the ME generation and to hell with you all. Well, I am sorry to make such a general commentary on society, but it is sadly a fact that people are generally inconsiderate these days and it's not limited to photographic opportunity either.

Kathy,

thanks for the reply!

I know a lot of people have the digicams today, they all want to get the shot, and I have zero problem with that.

128811835-L.jpg

But the posed ones... When you see that the other person is actively working with the group, readying to take the shot, how much arrogancy should one have to jump right in the middle and start firing?

I guess that was an example of paparazzi afterall...

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
I was booked to take photographs at an International ball with the British consul greeting the other consuls, dignitaries and guests. This other Pro from a local publication asked by an auxilary person, comes along and was in front confusing the line up who did not who to pace the shots for.

The guy afterwards let me know he had been contacted and was not given any ground rules.

Part of any agreement shold be some recogniton that one is the offical photographer and they will keep others out of the area if possible. That way, the shots they want are not ruined.

Mostly I've found pretty good manners, but when someone ruins your work, it's infuriating!

Just bringing along a Pro looking camera can unnerve someone's job!

At a wedding, especially if you are carrying white, one should introduce oneself and let them know what your purpose is and that you will stay away from their posed shots.

Generally it's foolish and degrading to risk someone elses professional work.

Asher