• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Hi from the NW UK

John Robson

Hi may name is John and I'm from the NW of the UK. I have been taking photos for the last 50 or so year and utill the advent of the digital camera processed all my own film and slides. Having recently taken early retirement I have plenty of time on my hands for my picture taking but not a lot of money, alas. I love photographing buildings and also do a lot of close-up/macro photography.

I have several cameras including a Canon 300D and Fuji F10 and do most of my printing on a HP DJ30. I tend to use Paintshop Pro X for most of my adjustments and occasionaly Photo Elements 4 and always print from Qimage.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Welcome John,

A student approached an architect in a project in a developing country and asked, what would he do when he retired. To which the the senior gentleman replied, "but I am retired, young man, I used to be a doctor!!"

There's no reason why one should not use one's life experience to produce great photography.

We are all blessed with great brains which we hardly use and if we don't then no new brain connections get made and one can't even maintain one's own value to oneself or anyone!

Photography is democratic with digital. A 3MP camera is sufficient to make great photographs. It's just a matter of imagination and effort to go from snapshots to good work.

That is an achievable goal for anyone from 10 years to 95 years old.

check out Mary Bull, 90 years old and working hard at her photgraphy. Her cat, BTW, listens to classical movement and is our trophy!

Asher

Photography is democratic with digital. A 3MP camera is sufficient to make great photographs. It's just a matter of imagination and effort to go from snapshots to good work.

Yes, it's the photographer who makes the image, the rest is 'mere tools' to get the result. Having said that, some tools work better/more convenient than others ... ;)

Not stating that this is a good image, but rather an example of a (handheld capture of 6+1 images, and stitched in postprocessing) image from an aging 4MP camera (Canon Powershot G3), Berliner Dom, at 1/3rd of its native filesize. Stitching can turn a modest camera into almost anything you'd lke it to be ...

BTW, welcome John. Since there are many wonderful buildings one can photograph in the UK, don't hesitate to make us jealous with some samples you came across.

Bart