• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Pentax 645D

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Benjamin,

It would depend on the size of the CCD chip! If its 3o MP, then it would be at least $23,000, I'd imagine.

If its 22MP, I'd guess about $16,000.

Just my hazardous estimations based on the competitors.

Asher

Asher Kelman

Well Pentax does have the experience and status to go with the camera. However, they better get it right. The giant Canon will be breathing fire from below and Sinar and Leaf will be fighting with Phase One and Hasselblad for a limited market. Who knows about Mamiya!

For sure, Canon has a lot of breathing room. It's flagship the 1DsII will be replaced probably no earlier than November of 2007. Well, if need be they could change that date right now to bring out a brand new camera inv 90 days if they so wish. Also they have the luxury of CMOS in house inexpensive efficency.

So hand-made MF camera backs are really working in a small space. They are very special and those that need them are not going to be satisfied with a 1DsIII.

Pentax is late, but if they cam learn from everyone elses erros and come out swinging in October in Photokina, then they will be fine.

30 odd MP is impressive!

Asher

Paul Caldwell

I agree, but also since no word came out of Canon at all on the 1ds replacement, they either aren't really concerned about any competition or they are way to far out.

Pentax has been talking about this camera almost 2 years now, I can only hope that they bring it out before the end of 2007. I like the CCD from Kodak (if that is still planned) as I have always like their output.

What has me really wondering if the camera is really coming out is the current supply situation on Pentax 645 glass. It's next to impossible to find the 35mm FA F3.5, (one of the very best lenses) and the 33-55 is slowly drying up. Adorama no longer even sells the Pentax medium format stuff or at least I can't find it on their site.

I have several of the good P645 lenses that I use in my workflow with the Zoerk on the 1ds MKII, so I have always hoped that Pentax would bring this camera out.

Mamiya is selling the ZD in Europe but still no word about the US even after PMA, so it's not looking good for that, unless they are going to bring the back out, but the back has never surfaced anywhere that I have seen.

The only sure bet seems to be the Phase One stuff, but I like the P645 design with the camera and back all in one.

Paul Caldwell

Asher Kelman

The Sinar Hy6 will be out this summer all being well and that will be strong!

Leaf will also be out sometime then.

The market will be hot.

If these cameras get legs then Canon would be out with the 1DsIII at Photokina, otherwise it's going to be delayed.

Just my 0.02 cents!

Asher

If these cameras get legs then Canon would be out with the 1DsIII at Photokina, otherwise it's going to be delayed.

Next Photokina will be in 2008, but I agree that the Hy6 might trigger a reaction from Canon. If I'm reading Canon's philosophy correctly, I think that they do attempt getting a share of the traditional MF market. By comparison it's a much smaller market than '35mm', but it still offers a good (existing) lens potential (if the camera body and sensor is enough of a challenge to existing MF offers).

There is also a bit of a paradox in the CCD versus CMOS battle. CCDs are being read-out in a bucket brigade stile. That also means that noise accumulates in the read-out direction due to small differences in individual sensels. Large CCDs suffer more from that and also have a larger number of bad sensels mapped-out. CMOS sensor arrays, Canon's version at least, on the other hand allows to address individual sensels, reducing the sensel inter-dependency.

I wouldn't be surprised if there is a long term Canon strategy to get a fair part of what once was MF territory.

Bart