• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

bw portrait

Harvey Moore

Sometimes I would like to back to Tri-X and Acufine.

A simulation done with Lightroom

399306422_6fa8723d28.jpg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Hi Harvey,

So tell me, do you have to go into rehab for acute Tri-X psychosis? Don't be shaving your hair off now!

Now, what's the story of this picture and what's your route to the B&W?

I examined the file, there's a lot of potential there!

Asher

Harvey Moore

Hello Asher,

This shot was taken during a visit to Charleston, SC area to meet some fellow photographers.

Used the 5D and 24-70L @24, iso3200 f2.8 1/15" in a very dim area of a restaurant. I was checking the camera settings with this shot. It is cropped quite a bit.

Did all the processing in LR v1, which I am enjoying using very much. Used the grayscale preset and fiddled with the tone curve a bit.

re Tri-X and shaving my head:

My first venture into photography was with an M3 and 35 + 50 Summicron lenses. Used mainly Tri-X and Pan-X developed in Acufine. Early 60's. I get nostalgic for those days occasionally.

Don't think I'll shave my head over this, at my age the primary function of hair is to hide the bumps, and I have successfuly compleated a treatment program for addiction to inhaling fixer solutions :) :)

My fav from that day:

324486403_862b86f249_o.jpg

Don Ferguson Jr.

Nice pic Harvey . Did you get any pics of George Clooney at the Calhoun hotel In Anderson for the movie Leatherheads ?
Regards
Don

Asher Kelman

Why don't you post the topic entirely in a new and separate thread since it's so fascinating. I really wonder whether, as a general rule, viewing in B&W is sufficient to pick the winners in color!

I do agree that optimizing the picture in B&W is most helpful in getting any picture right.

I have never set my camera to show in B&W! Didn't see it on the menu!

Asher

StuartRae

I have never set my camera to show in B&W! Didn't see it on the menu!
B&W is in "Picture Styles"

In general this is only true if you shoot in JPEG.

If you shoot in RAW, only the manufacturer's own conversion software will honour the B&W tag. AFAIK no third party converters will do so, and will produce a colour image.

Regards,

Stuart

Asher Kelman

Here's a picture taken by the window in the evening when there was the last of the light. The subject is one of the best base players I know. If you follow good music in Los Angeles, then you've heard him play!

Bassist_MG_3871.jpg

Canon 5D 50 1.2L at 2.8

As shot RAW, converted to B&W in CS2.

Asher

Last edited:

Kevin Bjorke

If you shoot in RAW, only the manufacturer's own conversion software will honour the B&W tag.
Actually Stuart that's exactly what I wrote in the aforementioned blog post.

If you know you're shooting ALL B&W, you can set the default for each particular camera to default to B&W in Adobe Camera Raw (and then move selected images back to color as needed). Bridge will honor those settings too.

PS: yay 50mm