• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Remote Control Flash Questions

Mike Spinak

pro member
I haven't ever used remote controlled flash, and I would like to start. I really don't know where to, nor how to. What do you recommend for transmitters and receivers? What about light stands, and ways to attach a 550 EX or 580 EX to the light stand? I am sure there will be a lot more questions, but these are enough for now.

Thank you for any help you can provide.

Mike

www.mikespinak.com

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Scenario 1: Camera flash plus PW triggered Strobes at ceiling.

I haven't ever used remote controlled flash, and I would like to start. I really don't know where to, nor how to. What do you recommend for transmitters and receivers? What about light stands, and ways to attach a 550 EX or 580 EX to the light stand? I am sure there will be a lot more questions, but these are enough for now.
Mike this is a very important subject.

I guess the simplest first question is how to trigger a strobe rsimultaniously with Camera MFR flash. The latter is lightweight and gives good light, but the background needs illumination too.

We all can trigger other speedlights that are reasonably nearby. However not for a crowded event. Anyway not in this scenario!

Let's define the first situation at this early stage of the thread.

One photographer in a wedding reception or the dinner and dance with a camera with the dedicated MFR's flash and one or more large strobes (say a Lumedyne, Norman or Alian Bee on a stand) aimed at the ceiling.

We have to be 100% relaible. So we'll discard the idea of using a Wein flash sensor (with the delay so as not to detect camera preflash) and we'll spring for a Pocket Wizard. The latest version.

So how does one set this up on a Canon, Nikon Pentax, Leica or other Pro camera and what pitfalls or issues are there?

Asher

Tim Armes

Thank you for any help you can provide.

Mike

www.mikespinak.com

Hi Mike,

Entering the realms of off camera flash can be daunting, but it will be very rewarding. I'll answer your questions quickly before passing you on to an excellent resource.

There are several options for remote triggering of off camera flashes. Each have their own advantages and disadvantages, and you may end up using all of them at some point:

a) If uses simple flashes (and the 580EX doesn't come under this category), place your flashes in manual mode and set the slave flashes to trigger whenever they see another flash go off. This method can be done with almost any flash, and it's cheap. The main disadvantages are that distance is limited and remote control of the flash is lost (that is, the ability to change its settings from a distance). ETTL is also not possible. Also, if there are other photographers about, their flashes will set of yours.

b) Since you mention the 580EX, you can go one step further and control you flashes using the 580EX or 550 EX as a master. As long as you have other Canon flashes that can act as slaves, you now have the possibility to actually control your remote flashes from your master. Furthermore, ETTL metering will continue to function. The control signals are send as encoded flashes of light, so the same problem occurs with respect to maximum distance; reliability outside is significantly reduced. The 580EX offer several channels, reducing the possibility of clashing with set ups from other photographers.

c) You can use some cheap ebay radio triggers. These work fairly well, both indoors and outdoors. You'll lose ETTL, but you'll no longer need a direct line of sight between the flashes. Don't expect perfection however, you may get occasional mis-fires and other such oddities. Distance will still be limited (although better than using coded flashes).

d) You can buy a professional grade radio triggers, such as those made by PocketWizard. With a system like this you can trigger your flashes very reliably from great distances. ETTL is still lost however.

Don't get put off by the loss of ETTL in most of the above case. Off-camera flash normally works best with the flash set manually.

To learn about off-camera flash, spend some time here:

http://strobist.blogspot.com/

Click the "Lighting 101" link on the right hand side. This site will also show you how to connect your 580EX to a lightstand.

Best of luck.

Tim