• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

New Forum request

As you may have noticed, two of my posts to the "Photography as art" forum have generated long threads about the nature of art, photography's role as art, and the terminology and vocabulary used to describe art. That was not my intent.

I posted those pictures in that forum for lack of another suitable place to post those pictures. I didn't feel that those pictures fit in any of the other available fora. My intention was not to provoke discussion, but to get feedback about my pictures.

Perhaps if there were a forum more suitable to those pictures, one a still life, the other an "abstract," pictures such as mine would garner more direct, germane comments, and stimulate less academic discussion.

Just a suggestion

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Now I understand better, Charles!

I didn't realize until now that you had posted there and thus signaled to a moderator that your picture was being presented as Art! Since you mentioned to commonly used terms in critique, now I say why this went as it did! It all makes sense.

This picture belongs perfectly in landscape. We have all kinds of such images. All have to some extent escaped the simple context of an expected landscape image and have, to me at least, features which take one beyond what is photographed. So while they may or may not be painterly or abstract, they do invoke thoughts of the abstract.

Look at yours in the context of the spectrum of images in just a few of the posts of Tim Gray, Jim collum and Don Lashier for immediate examples.

5547030-lg.jpg

Abstract Reflection

© Chalres L. webster

16_FB5E8192.jpg

Kananaskis Country, Alberta Canada

© Tim Gray

portage2a.jpg

Ice Flow #2, Portage Glacier, Alaska

© Jim Collum

073g_J3M9712.jpg

Athabasca Falls, Alberta Canada

© Tim Gray and not as I first thought © Don Lashier

All that being said, we'll have to watch this very carefully as I especially happen to like what you are doing and still think of the Madolin!

This last picture, got my attention as I have never cropped like that.

I wil try to dissect the original thread and get it to where it should be!

Asher

Last edited:

Ray West

Hi Charles,

I sort of agree with you, but maybe the landscape forum may have been the one to try for both the reflections and the bridge. Although there is no still life forum, There are few still life images, cause and effect??

Best wishes,

Ray

Last edited:

Tim Armes

Agreed. I had a similar problem with the images of smoke that I took recently (that is, I didn't really know where to post them).

Don Lashier

Whoa Asher - that Athabaska Falls shot is not mine! But I do take a lot of "abstracts". Here's an abstract reflection:

nd23541p.jpg

- DL

Asher Kelman

A double thanks then Don!

See what good comes from screw ups!

Your picture is just about marvelous! Could you share how these came about! What is reflected? Where is it and how did you work with the file. Do you have the pictures wide angle taken at the same time so we might possible be able to go back in time and sort of stand over your shoulder to see what you selected?

Asher

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
My bet is:
a sport fishboat with green hull (red underwater paint) with a beautifull blue sky in background a quite windy day (see the small flag in the tower rig).
All this reflected, of course, on the water of a clean marina…
Due to colors and shadows, I would go for an 8:00 am shot in some subtropical area… but it may be in the late afternoon in San Diego…

The crop was needed for composition, but also certaninly to isolate that from other boats besides.

Asher Kelman

Maybe

"a sport fishboat with green hull (red underwater paint) with a beautifull blue sky"

so there's no need to reply!

Asher

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
Asher,
there were more guess in my post... place, time etc.

So I'd like to know if I were completely wrong or just a bit ;-)