• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Quarter to midnite

Hi All,

I like this image for a few reasons: edge to edge subjects, lazy dog, time, natural light, transparent table setup to see full posture of "players"...

I would like to develop my environmental portraiture skills and I'm not sure how to come by subjects. However, for this picture I've solved that problem and I'm looking for comment & critique! Thanks.

quarter_to_midnite.jpg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Hi All,

I like this image for a few reasons: edge to edge subjects, lazy dog, time, natural light, transparent table setup to see full posture of "players"...
I would like to develop my environmental portraiture skills and I'm not sure how to come by subjects. However, for this picture I've solved that problem and I'm looking for comment & critique! Thanks.
Well, Ed,

From my standpoint it is what it is. You just don't change this. It pojects a true moment and we can learn more of the two each time we visit. In fact, I myself an getting so that maybe even I could say "I've watched them a little and could start to say somthings about them". Maybe I do know them. These become Rocwellian icons in their little world.

Is there something you wanted to show that is not there?

I could list a whole bunch of things I might do, but, your pictures has conflicts that work.

The blurred moveemnt on the right is already there as a combination of a great feature, a distraction from the woman, an annoyance and an improbable balance of the fleating image with the solid mass of the woman's body.

Blurring the b.g. for example might work against this dichotomy, but you might try it.

I for one would only make changes based on how it printed out and appeared on the wall.

Do I like it?

Yes.

Would I say that in the beginning? No I didn't like it then! It has, however grown on me and assumed some importance, so I must admit now, I do like it!

Asher

Asher,

Thanks for your comments. I'm at the point in my learning where I recognize a setup that I want to record but then I slow down.

At this point I think that when you record two people in an activity, the picture will speak about them and their activity. Beyond that, it has been difficult for me to identify the elements of the picture. I think you are right, the interest in the pictures is the conflicts of body type and posture, etc.

When I was shooting I was trying to capture the hand movement blur as well as facial expressions. That didn't work out - I never did capture the hand movement I wanted. So in the course of doing that, I captured this.

I think I would like the blur to be a little less pronounced. When I am "distracted" by the blur as you say, it takes on this elfin quality that doesn't mean much to me... so that repels me.

Lastly, I think if I could've shown the cards on the table there might be more of interest to hold viewers.

Thanks again.

samdring

Ed
Logged on and their were 2 new posts for me:

1. Lunar Eclipse at 2344 for europeans
2. Quarter to midnight from yourself.

Spooky or what - 'tis interesting how your two subjects feel or do not feel comfortable with the temperature in that room.

Harvey Moore

Compelling photograph!!

Each element adds to this image in a positive fashion. The smug lady, her husband? by action saying she got me again, the speakers in the background, her attire topped off by the hip sandals, and last but by no means least the dog relaxing and ignoring the action around him.

Ken Tanaka

pro member
Hello Ed: With this image you're on the trail of a genre of photography that's quite challenging but potentially quite rewarding. To my eye this was a very good scene to capture. It offers many little details to be noticed but does not require close study to leave an impression. In my opinion, the best photographs are the ones we would remember seeing years from now, whether or not they struck an emotional chord with us. Of course you could inverse this opinion (i.e. we remember the best) but you're left at the same destination, eh?

I will refer you to the work of two contemporary photographers that have carved some impressive paths along the lines of this genre.

First, Ben Gest has carved a notable niche by creating such scenes of everyday life slices. His images, which are usually printed and exhibited rather large, at first glance seem like common snapshots. But there's always something that draws you deeper, usually the nuance of a head tilt, the direction of a glance, or something quite subtle. Before you know it you've been staring at the image for several minutes. There is more than a little digital chicanery behind Ben's work. He actually creates many of his scenes by compositing pieces of other frames. But he's a real master of this. You would never know it, even inspecting his images (as I have) with nose nearly touching.

Ben teaches here in Chicago at Columbia College, where he received his MFA, and his work can be seen at the Museum of Contemporary Photography, which is part of Columbia.

The other contemporary photographer in this genre is Julie Blackmon. Her "Domestic Vacations" images, recently displayed here at Edelman, are every bit as hypnotic as Ben's although themed more along the lines of home with kids. It's no accident, as Julie is a very busy mom who had been an active photographer. Being bound-up with her kids she decided to make the kids useful as subjects. Unlike Ben, most of Julie's scenes are captured as is with a medium format camera and only a tiny bit of Photoshop work. She's really a master of lighting and it's remarkable to see what she's been able to accomplish with relatively simple techniques and equipment particularly considering that she's relatively new to color photography! She has, deservedly, recently won accolades at the annual Santa Fe competitions.

Perhaps the above will provide you with some new ideas and directions.

Keep clicking and have fun!

Thanks much Ken!

You've given me much to digest.

I'm surprised that both examples you give "stage" their photos to some degree in one way or another. Is this more common in the genre or does this reflect a trend or your personal tastes?

Perhaps I will "play" a little with this one and see what comes of a little "staging". My photoshop skills need practice anyway! =D

When I look at the (any?) image I sometimes wonder what other people notice.

I am partial to the dog myself. One thing I didn't see through the viewfinder is the backlighting of the area around the dog.

Thanks!

Ken Tanaka

pro member
Thanks much Ken!

You've given me much to digest.

I'm surprised that both examples you give "stage" their photos to some degree in one way or another. Is this more common in the genre or does this reflect a trend or your personal tastes?

Perhaps I will "play" a little with this one and see what comes of a little "staging". My photoshop skills need practice anyway! =D

Good question. Ben's images are very staged, actually multiply-staged. He might, for example, stage arms from different models until he gets what he wants.

Julie's images, by contrast, are not staged (believe it or not). She sets up her camera and lights and then "encourages" her kids to confine their activities in front of the camera. (She says the house record for such control is 10 minutes.) But she insists that she does not direct anyone. Whatever happens in the few minutes she can contain her subjects is what she shoots.

When it comes to such imagery you have to decide what you're trying to accomplish. If you're just trying to capture personal family mementos you can be more casual. The image you've posted lies more within this realm of personal documentation. On the other hand if you're trying to create images that entertain or convey a message then you need to be rather thoughtful about all of the elements in the frame, how they interact with each other, and how they all contribute to the overall impression.

When I was shooting I was trying to capture the hand movement blur as well as facial expressions. That didn't work out - I never did capture the hand movement I wanted. So in the course of doing that, I captured this.

I think I would like the blur to be a little less pronounced. When I am "distracted" by the blur as you say, it takes on this elfin quality that doesn't mean much to me... so that repels me.

One easy way to achieve this is by "dragging the shutter". This is also called Slow Flash Sync by come companies. The trick is to balance light from flash with the ambient so that one may capture sharp details but still have the color balance and shading created by the ambient light. It can be lots of fun. If you try this, look in your camera manual and see if it supports second curtain sync for flash as that can be useful with this method.

You can do this with an on camera flash. If you have a hotshoe flash you can bounce off the ceiling, then that would be even better. And then comes using off camera flash which is fun unto itself.

The photograph is cleanly composed and each subject stands out clearly. There is one subject which need not be there by my reckoning. That unnecessary subject is the chair at left. I would suggest exploring cropping the image to lose this. Perhaps near the edge of the trim on the door at left? This makes the scene feel a bit more intimate to me.

some thoughts,

Sean

Sean,

I did experiment with ambient flash. I have never heard it called "dragging the shutter" though... thanks for the reference and link.

I slowed the shutter speed to blur a very specific motion - their hands while playing - this shot I caught along the way. As it turns out, I think it was too slow.

On the crop - thanks for the encouragement - that has been nagging at me as well ;)