• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

More Reflections

I have been exploring the theme of reflections for some time. I am fascinate by the ability of water to distort the object under some circumstances, and to provide a true mirror under others. The nature of the water shapes the object it reflects.

This was shot at sunrise, with the Digital Rebel but this time with the 18-55 kit lens. I did some substantial cleanup to remove rocks, sticks, beer cans, and the like from the water.

3771297-lg.jpg

This version isn't very sharp, but the 12 X 18 print hanging on my wall is much better.

Thanks for your comments,

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Hi Charles,

Splendid!

But..

When you took this picture what had you intended doing with the stuff that you ultimately removed? did you really intend to remove them. Did you just notice them afterwards and then realize they hd no business being there?

Also, would it be possible to see the orignal as a window to how this image, which is impressive was achieved?

How big is this to be printed?

Is there more surface detail in the water? My questions should not apply the words could or should. I just am interested to know!

Asher

Hi Charles,

Splendid!

But..

When you took this picture what had you intended doing with the stuff that you ultimately removed? did you really intend to remove them. Did you just notice them afterwards and then realize they hd no business being there?

Also, would it be possible to see the orignal as a window to how this image, which is impressive was achieved?

How big is this to be printed?

Is there more surface detail in the water? My questions should not apply the words could or should. I just am interested to know!

Asher

I knew as I captured the image that I would have to remove the junk, I could see it in the VF and knew it didn't belong. One of the things I learned early on was to look, really look, at all the stuff in the VF before clicking the shutter.

This picture is not cropped but a very tiny bit. The VF of the 300D shows only 95% or so of the frame, so the capture included a bit of the far shore as a dark line at the top of the frame that I cropped out. That I didn't see until after the capture, unlike the beer cans, etc.

I often shoot a photo, knowing full well that it needs clean up, but that's one of the places where digital far exceeds film. I once removed an entire automobile from the exact focal center of a shot.

Because of the limited number of MPix of the 300D (only 6.2), I don't try printing beyond 12 X 18.

As for the original, it was never converted to JPEG and is not hosted anywhere, so it's not available without some effort.

Charles,

Where do the colors come from? There's a gradient browny-orange-yellow to blue.

Asher

That's the reflected sky, dark in the west because the sun was just rising. It was a typical late summer day, not a cloud in the sky, so it remained dark. The sun had just risen over the hills to the east.

I've just looked at the original RAW file, and with the exception of a small increase in saturation, the color gradient here is as it was in the original capture.