• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Best of Show: Cats

Angela Weil

Recently, I went to a cat show. The regional cat organization had advertised the event in the local media.
It's a long series (34), that's why I post a link. I like to leave it like it is for a few weeks to give the people in the pictures time to select their own favorites, but for permanent display, the series needs to be trimmed. Any hints as to which images should go are very much appreciated. I'm too close to the pictures right now to trust my own judgment in this respect. The images are spontaneous observations, no poses, only light from the windows or indoor light - sort of 'indoor street' mostly with a 105 macro lens which is quite far away if you count in a digital camera not full frame.

http://www.awl-photo.com/new/folder_CBest Of Show - Cats/

Greetings
Angela

I like!

Angela,

I'm into cats, so its easy for me to relate to this post.

You have many nice images. Good job!

I think your best is 34 - it says alot about the owner and the pet! =D

34Win_ShortHair.jpg

In addition - here is my list of keepers for you ( * means might need cropping):

1, 2, 4, 6*, 11, 12, 16, 17, 20, 22, 25*, 26, 31, 32, 33*, 34!, 35

Thanks for sharing!

Don Lashier

Wow Angela, they are all fabulous, but my favs are 4, 6, 8, 33, 34, and 36.

Isn't it interesting how pets and owners (and long time married couples) tend to look alike?

- DL

Marian Howell

i really like this series being in b&w! it compliments the documentary style so well, as if you've peeled off the color layer of cat shows and gone into the nitty gritty of it...much more intimate than the traditional "cat show photos" i thought i would find when i clicked the link :)

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Hi Angela,

Waht a wonderful show! One could practically get an advanced degree by study all these pictures. Are you knowledgable about the different breeds and what makes cats show cats?

Also what have you learnedabout the owners. What tpyes of people are they. In other words are there any characteristic of their owners that seem to be repeated in other owners?

I am still studying the pictures an have PM'd you.

Thanks so much for posting.

Asher

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
i really like this series being in b&w! it compliments the documentary style so well, as if you've peeled off the color layer of cat shows and gone into the nitty gritty of it...much more intimate than the traditional "cat show photos" i thought i would find when i clicked the link :)

Marian,

Natural objects especially in human surrounding can gain strength in B&W.

At its best, B&W celebrates through shapes, lines, form and composition with a unique presence that color may cannot match. It appears to drill down to the essence of some people, animals and scenes in a way very different from color. The latter often paints an overlay of coded values and emotional significance, sometimes yielding very different meanings. Since subject interest, tonality and compositional strength go a long way to making a picture it’s not surprising that cats look so great in this medium from the mind of an accomplished photographer.

Asher

Kathy Rappaport

pro member

#12 is my favorite, but, it may have to do with my friends cat, Sylvester who is the same breed, Persian, and who is so full of personality. He is my favorite cat of all time and he isn't even mine. Currently I am catless at the command of two dogs and a husband who has never been owned by one.

Angela Weil

Best of show....

Thank you all very much for the kind remarks and for taking the time to look at so many images.

Interesting, that I had asked for suggestions on the ones to toss out and you point to the ones you like. :)) It is equally helpful and probably more fun to do. I will take a close look again, with your recommendations in mind.

Ed, cropping: I could crop the images for web use. They are cropped already (to the square format), keeping one side the original width and the same each time - that means, I can print any of them in the same quality and with the same parameters without extra up-sizing acrobatics. The latter is unbecoming to fine fur, even if you have a lot of pixels to play with.

Concerning the event in general: I went there out of curiosity and because I have cats (ordinary street cat mixes) for the last 20 years. I like them a lot, but I don't particularly like the pure bred circus, focusing on the latest in pet-fashion and what not, like making fast money on sickly over-bred kittens or puppies. I admit expecting an unpleasant experience. This expectation was not met. In fact, I was surprised by the affection, the care and the friendly atmosphere - which led me to focus on the people and on the relationship with their animals, not so much on the cats. Of course, they are nice and pretty to look at. But that was not the most important thing at this event for me, the people were the most striking.

Marian: Maybe that explains your impression that the series is not what you expected. I don't think it is just the absence of color. 'Peeled off a layer', I like this expression very much. If I really achieved that, then I take it as the ultimate compliment.

Asher: I know only a little about the different kinds of cats. But I know personality in a cat or dog, when I see it. (A strange thing to say, is it not?) There were some that 'Talked to me' and some that did not, independent of shape, color , size or age. However, I learned a lot at the show. Particularly details, like the fact that there is no word in French for 'Black Tabby'. It is called 'Le Black Tabby' with a strong French accent (there were French and Belgium participants at the show).

Bev: Nr. 2 is most likely a Main Coon. But there were also Norwegian Forrest Cats and Siberian Forrest Cats, both of which look exactly like the Main Coon. This one, in light red and cream color, was very shy and not happy at the event.

Kathy: I liked the scene, because of the lady hoping for a good grading. Isn't Sylvester the famous cartoon cat? Also black and white, fuzzy and full of mischief?

Don: The similarities between pets and their owners are amazing indeed. Just wait until I come back from a reptile show. We will see how that pans out and whether the theory holds up. :))

Angela

Marian Howell

Concerning the event in general: I went there out of curiosity and because I have cats (ordinary street cat mixes) for the last 20 years. I like them a lot, but I don't particularly like the pure bred circus, focusing on the latest in pet-fashion and what not, like making fast money on sickly over-bred kittens or puppies. I admit expecting an unpleasant experience. This expectation was not met. In fact, I was surprised by the affection, the care and the friendly atmosphere - which led me to focus on the people and on the relationship with their animals, not so much on the cats. Of course, they are nice and pretty to look at. But that was not the most important thing at this event for me, the people were the most striking.

Marian: Maybe that explains your impression that the series is not what you expected. I don't think it is just the absence of color. 'Peeled off a layer', I like this expression very much. If I really achieved that, then I take it as the ultimate compliment.
i most certainly meant it as compliment! it was a "people+cats" show to you, and your photos brought that vision to me.
excellent series!