• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

21 Limited Exchanged

Yesterday, Pentax gave me a replacement of my 21L that I was having BF problems with. The one they gave me was the one given to "Reposes Photo" magazine in France to use for their review..I guess it would be perfect in that case. None the less I can now use my focal length of preference without hesitation or concern. It is Soooo sharp..I love it.

Kyle Nagel

The 21mm seems a little wide for shooting people, at least to me. I have found I prefer my 50mm, although the 31mm isn't too bad. It would be interesting to hear your thoughts on what you find preferable about about shooting with 21mm. Your images are beautiful, so I can't really argue with your choice, just curious as to your approach and process, and how and why the 21mm is your lens of choice.

Kyle

From most of what I saw of Benjamin's work, he frequently shoots full-body portraits with plenty of room around the figure as well... perhaps that is the reasoning for the wider lens?

The Average

From most of what I saw of Benjamin's work, he frequently shoots full-body portraits with plenty of room around the figure as well... perhaps that is the reasoning for the wider lens?

In looking at my work, what I have observed is that I shoot between 12-75mm in most cases and on the average around 16-32mm. I have often done shots at 10-14 mm as well. I don't shoot long. It bores me....I find when shooting wide, it is more cinematic. Even when shooting in studio with a white backdrop, I rarely shoot over 75mm. It is just a way of seeing things, I guess. I have used either my Tamron 90 or Pentax 100 macro for extreme close ups and product shots.

Here is a sample from "Linea" Magazine in Russia and shot believe it or not with the Canon 350D and the 17-40L lens, just to prove a point to myself that it was sufficient for the support the images would be published in.

http://anashcreation.com/thenashgallery/BenjaminKanarek/Canon_350D_Raw_Images_copyretouched?full=1

http://lineadl.ru/articles/4/show/11

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
This, my friend Benjamin, is too beautiful not to adorn this thread directly. So here it is!

Canon_350D_Raw_Images_copyretouched.jpg

The EXIF has no © on it. Why not? This is recorded as 1/5 second, f 9.0, 18mm focal length on a lens 10-20mm focal length!!!!!!! How's that. Should say 17-40! Anyway, x1.6 18mm looks like 28.8mm on a full frame.

Where did you shoot it and could you explain the lighting?

Asher

Ben Rubinstein

pro member
What will they do with all the other 21mm limited users experiencing problems?

I'm ready and willing to buy into the Pentax system but I'm waiting for two things, a resolution to the banding issue and a resolution to the 21mm problem. If it means waiting for the rumoured new body at the end of the year then so be it...

Sigma 10-20 Sorry

This, my friend Benjamin, is too beautiful not to adorn this thread directly. So here it is!

Canon_350D_Raw_Images_copyretouched.jpg

The EXIF has no © on it. Why not? This is recorded as 1/5 second, f 9.0, 18mm focal length on a lens 10-20mm focal length!!!!!!! How's that. Should say 17-40! Anyway, x1.6 18mm looks like 28.8mm on a full frame.

Where did you shoot it and could you explain the lighting?

Asher

Sorry Asher, I screwed up, I didn't check my EXIF, it was may Sigma 10-20 Lens..I used both the Canon 17-40L and Sigma 10-20 for this shoot. I just got the Sigma 10-20 and wanted to try it out. It was shot at the Hotel Raphael in Paris for Linea Magazine. I used 2 Multiblitz MiniLite Mono block flashes using my own home grown cut Hollywood Grids and another secret that I will not divulge. I am sorry, but I worked for over 18 years developing this technique. Let's just say that every time you see one image, it isn't. It is two images taken at the same time in real time. By that I mean, One image is the Flash the other image is the ambient and I shape the light to my own desire based on where I wish to highlight certain elements with flash. Those are the frozen images. The rest move depending on time used.I only use flash on very tightly selected areas and ambient light is the wash. Half blue gelatins were used on the two flash heads..None of the light is direct..That IS the HINT...Asher, If you like send me your e-mail address and I will send you the original file..

Take Care
Ben

Banding Issue

What will they do with all the other 21mm limited users experiencing problems?

I'm ready and willing to buy into the Pentax system but I'm waiting for two things, a resolution to the banding issue and a resolution to the 21mm problem. If it means waiting for the rumoured new body at the end of the year then so be it...

The Banding issue which I have not seen will be addressed in the next firmware update and if you decide to get the 21L, just buy it from a store, in case there is a problem. One in about One Hundred have some BF issues. The one I have now is just too brutally sharp..I am not exagerating. I want to use it on my next shoot...Badly.

Kyle Nagel

The Banding issue which I have not seen will be addressed in the next firmware update ...

Did whomever you spoke with regarding this mention the cause? I'm curious because I have not seen it myself with my body, nor have I been able to intentionally produce it. Since it seems only limited to some users and/or bodies it would be interesting to know what caused it.

Kyle

Are we talking about Vertical Pattern Noise banding or Battery Grip banding?

I love the shot by the way - its one of those pictures that speak a thousand words.