• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Flowers by the wayside, I show mine, now show yours! Just Monocots e.g. orchids!

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Monocots are grasses, lillies, daffodils, orchids, birds of paradise and anything coming from a bulb, palm and the like. All other flowers are dicots and in the separate new thread, here.

I passed several gardens with spring flowers, so I snapped a few quick ones.

_I6E9343orangeflowerfromjpg.jpg

_I6E9347irisesfromjpg.jpg

Interesting that they are both monocots! Hmmm, I'll have to find some dicots now for the new thread!

Hope you enjoy them and have your own to post. Say what the weather is like and where you are located! Here its a balmy 80 degrees F to day.

Asher

Last edited:

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
Yesterday I walked to the dentist. Naturally I took my camera to photograph the streets on the way at 50 1.2 with my favorite, the 501.2L on the 1DII. Well I passed several gardens with spring flowers, so I snapped a few quick ones.

Bonjour Asher
I really like the 1st one, something "different" may be the contrats and sharpness of the flower, with the bokey... very "present".

BTW congrats for your new lens: 501 mm? what brand is this?-))

Ron Morse

From my yard last summer

As I remember it these were with the 100mm f/2.8 macro, 20D.
I don't know why I lose all my lense info when I convert. Maybe I'm supposed to.

Some of last summers flowers.

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
Bonjour Ron
I like the purple one, is it an orchid?

If you "save for the web" in CS, it "cleans" the exif...
If you "save as" in jpg it doesn't. (be carefull then to save your image in sRGB, if it is for the web)

Kathy Rappaport

pro member
What to do with these images....

What I did for holiday gifts to special people this last year, was to take some of my florals and have note cards made. I ordered 10 different cards (they came 24 to an image for the best price) and then packaged them in sets. Everyone that I gave them to loved them. Just thought I would pass that one on to you.

I just bought a bunch of tulips and created an image for a special friend as a limited edition and gifted those to her for her birthday. I will not use that image again - it was for my step-daughter who loves purple tulips.

Holly Cawfield

A lovely thread Asher!

Your Bird of Paradise Flower is quite striking. It's a very different angle and it looks as if it's rocketing into spring! The irises are lovely...windblown by the spring breezes and very beautiful.....

Asher, you asked about the weather. Well here in Canada the snow has melted and spring is attempting to make an entrance. We're at that stage when the damp greys and browns have an intriguing colour all their own ...which is an optimist's way of looking at the rather drab colours that precede tulips, crocus, daffodils and hyacinth. :-D

Last edited by a moderator:

Asher Kelman

All great.

However, Tom, I really like the hues and textures on the last one. There's a great deal of delicacy comning from a simple potted plant. Was this on the wayside, or you cheated!

The open gate is nice and really seems like you were shooting it as you apssed.

Asher

Tom Henkel

All great.

However, Tom, I really like the hues and textures on the last one. There's a great deal of delicacy comning from a simple potted plant. Was this on the wayside, or you cheated!

The open gate is nice and really seems like you were shooting it as you apssed.

Asher

Thanks, Asher.

The daffodils were "acquired" by the wayside. They were in a vase at home when the shot was done. Sorry if that is a too liberal interpretation of the theme -- but I like the shot and it seemed appropriate to share it.

The garden gate was a Lensbaby 2.0 shot -- which explains the distortion and soft focus.

Tom

Holly Cawfield

Tom, those daffodils are a delight. The papery textures of the husk-like portions are beautiful. It's the kind of photo that makes me want to touch these petals between my thumb and forefinger to see what they feel like ...a visual that is somehow very tactile and wonderfully artistic.

Asher, the pink background is one of my scarves. I had this pot of flowers by the window and just wanted lots of girley pink. It was that kind of day. :)

Asher Kelman

Brian,

I must congratulate you on your style. It shows the flowers in a dynamic and powerful way. The first, with the female stigma in sharply centered, is a perfect example of putting attention decisively at the part you want to give importance to. What is more important than the feminine. This is powerful and central to life and I love it. All the male parts suround here stretched up!

The second is also unique in its masking the tulips even more important as the trees. By both being in focus, one can really measure the tulips agains the trees as a ruler ans so they are outstanding and have movement. Again impressive and compelling.

The last one is also unique, well done but doesn't ring my bell. However, I am behinmd in my tea schedule!

So thanks Brian!

Asher

By "by the wayside" I assume you mean "spontaneous" images, not in a studio setup? here are four of mine:

Pink_and_Green_by_philosomatographer.jpg

Pink_by_philosomatographer.jpg

(both with Canon 28-300L)

And, something in a bit of a different style (more typically "my" style, in any case):
Agapanthus:
Tallest_Trees_by_philosomatographer.jpg

Several months later, a close-up of the flower head after the little flowers had dropped away.
Fibre_Optik_by_philosomatographer.jpg

(both with Canon 100 Macro USM)

Both sets in natural light (I don't own a flash)

Wow. I am really liking this thread. I have been working on getting sharper images, especially with the flowers that I photograph. One of the things I recently did to help me with this, besides getting some fabulous help from this forum and its many great photographer members, was purchase the Nikon 105mm micro VR lens, a new tripod, and the wireless remote for my D40. I just received the lens 2 days ago and have yet to really give it a good tryout. These two shots were taken yesterday evening. The flowers are from my yard but I took the shots in my living room. There was just a bit of very nice light still coming through my back door window as the sun was setting. I was just experimenting with some different exposures and these I liked the best. Tomorrow I am going to the Mercer Arboretum in Houston. It is brimming full with springtime colors so it should be a real feast. The first shot was 1.8 sec at f/13 and the second was 30 sec at f/36. Both were Iso 200.
DSC_3040-1.jpg

DSC_3037-2.jpg

Last edited:

Arya Wiese

what a beautiful thread. I have really enjoyed seeing all the different perspectives and views of such beautiful flowers. Here are my images of the flowers in my mothers backyard. lazy daffodils in a row, a dandelion and some daffodil stems by an old tree. All taken with my 50mm 1.8 lens

DSC_0211.jpg

DSC_0230.jpg

DSC_0247.jpg

From Alii Drive

From a morning walk in March '08.
Not flowers, but nearly as colorful. Notice that whereas the leaves don't turn fall colors in Hawaii, one side is red and the other side is green. So, no need to change.

1328IMG_9609-web-crop.jpg

Asher Kelman

I assume the white projections are male female body parts.

The adapter m42 to EOS is from KAWA. They like you, are located in California. This lense is as sharp as any of my L glass. It will focus up to about 3 inches. I can only guess what you would have to pay for this lense if it were made today. I got it from Budapest Hungary from a guy named Attila. Very trustworthy and honest seller. Took 9 days to get it.
I haver some of those lenses but no adapters as yet. Just I guess "lensus interuptous" when one buys lenses and then the project changes and one forgets!

Interesting "Hungary from a guy named Attila" that's hilarious! You bought it from Attila the Hun!

Asher

Last edited:

Asher Kelman

James,

It's hard to miss acknowledging everyone's work, so I'm picking yours only because the contrast I see beween thge very wide view and the cclose up. someone said don't do internediate views! Well that's what you seen to follow. The green of the stately formal garden is impressive. I wonder who would have been invited. The close up of the flower is packed with beauty. Makes me think of all the layers of silks that fine dresses one would have seen wandering in these gardens 2 centuries ago.

Asher

Last edited:

Asher Kelman

Jim,

Could you achieve the same sharp + soft focus effect using an add-on lens that adds the OOF light from the periphery?

Asher

Last edited:

Asher Kelman

Wow. I am really liking this thread. I have been working on getting sharper images, especially with the flowers that I photograph. One of the things I recently did to help me with this, besides getting some fabulous help from this forum and its many great photographer members, was purchase the Nikon 105mm micro VR lens, a new tripod, and the wireless remote for my D40. I just received the lens 2 days ago and have yet to really give it a good tryout. These two shots were taken yesterday evening. The flowers are from my yard but I took the shots in my living room. There was just a bit of very nice light still coming through my back door window as the sun was setting. I was just experimenting with some different exposures and these I liked the best. Tomorrow I am going to the Mercer Arboretum in Houston. It is brimming full with springtime colors so it should be a real feast. The first shot was 1.8 sec at f/13 and the second was 30 sec at f/36. Both were Iso 200.
DSC_3040-1.jpg

DSC_3037-2.jpg

Hi James,

I was just going through this thread and reread your description of your indoor shoot at 1.8 sec f 13 and 30 secs f36 respectively. I really wonder if you are getting the most out of that Nikon lens 105mm Macro lens. The flower is likely not as well defined as it would be with a wider aperture as given the sensel well sizes, the chip is able to resolve the fuzziness induced by diffraction of light waves by the edges of the small apertures used. Since you re depending on the chip for detail, f 8-11 or less would be better.

Anyway, the pictures are wonderful anyway!

Asher