• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Tutorial artlcle on rail signaling revised - WAY OFF TOPIC!

D

Doug Kerr

Greetings,

This is way off-topic for this forum, but I post it here because this is where many of my "readers" gather.

I have just posted to my technical article site, "The Pumpkin", an updated issue of my tutorial article, "Rail Signal Aspects and Indications". It is available here:

http://doug.kerr.home.att.net/pumpkin/index.htm#RailSignalAspects

The new issue is substantially revised, and includes new material on a number of subjects. The release note following the abstract in the index to which the above link leads summarizes the changes.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Well! What can I say but greeting to one of the most smartest guys on the internet!

I was interested in learning about rail signalling since I'd love to get signals from the lens to the camera on a LF rail camera. I just assumed this should have been in the large format section.

Well, this is Doug, taking us to where we have mostly not travelled, the wayside of railway tracks.

This subject brings back memories to me of persuading the rail signal man to lower the signal and stop the troop trains with US troops in London. When the train stopped, we yelled at the young soldiers waving from the windows, "Any Gum chum?"

Gum was a novelty in the U.K. then. Actually we referred to everything as England! Food and sweets (= candy) were rationed. So the coming of the troop trains was an exceptional treat.

Pretty girls showed their legs and the soldiers threw packages of nylon stockings which were costly too.

Asher

David Patterson

Very Well Done!

One note:
USA Railroads, Restricted Speed is not to exceed 20mph, not 15 as listed.

You can verify this at
http://www.trainweb.com/gcor/movement.html#6.27

Actually, I was surprised that our GCOR is available to the public.

Word of warning for those who like to shoot trains, stay off Railroad property, at all times.

Not only is it dangerous to be on railroad property but the Feds are taking a very dim view of trespassers, not to mention our own pussyfoots.

Punishments for trespassing are going to become rather draconian, all to soon.

--------------------
David Patterson

D

Doug Kerr

Hi, David,

Very Well Done!

Thank you so much.

One note:
USA Railroads, Restricted Speed is not to exceed 20mph, not 15 as listed.

This is certainly true under GCOR but is not universal. Under NORAC, for example, Restricted speed is not to exceed 20 mi/hr outside interlockings but 15 mi/hr within interlockng limits.

And of course, the speed limit is not the entire criterion for Restricted speed.

I should probably slightly change the reference to 15 mi/hr and say, "typically 20 mph (15 mph in interlocking limits in some cases)".

Thanks for your input.

Best regards,

Doug

Last edited: