• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

some small bird pictures

Daniel Clune

My first post here, thought i would start with some bird pics, used a Canon 1DMK2 with Sigma 300-800 lens

Blue Jay up close
73724980.ShdoOxda.IT9K5875scrop1.jpg

Red Bellied Woodpecker in the snow
73725207.ajnPpv41.IT9K6065s.jpg

American Tree Sparrow & Cardinal
73725221.ynlkHf0J.IT9K6085s.jpg

Kissing Cardinals
75068122.nTi0lJB5.IT9K6640s.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Wonderful pictures Daniel!

Where did you take these pictures? Tell us more about the lens. How heavy is it and waht made you choose this?

Asher

Welcome to OPF, Daniel, and thanks for the post.

We have been encouraging posters to let us know what they are looking for in terms of comments when they post, so any thoughts you have in this regard would be helpful (for example, seeking opinions on composition, exposure, post-processing, etc.). Providing the shooting parameters would also be useful to others wanting to comment.

They are cute shots of birds (my favorite subject!), although I'm having trouble getting the 3rd one to show.

Thanks again.

Daniel Clune

Wonderful pictures Daniel!

Where did you take these pictures?
Tell us more about the lens. How heavy is it and waht made you choose this?

Asher

These were all taken at Stiglmeier Park near Buffalo NY. There are hiking trails through out the park. Makes it somewhat tiring carrying a 13 pound lens plus camera and tripod. I use a Gitzo 1325 carbon fiber tripod with a Bogen gimble head.

The reason i chose this lens were for a couple of reasons. I really prefer having the flexabilty with a zoom over a fixed focul length lens. Plus when shooting flying birds its alot easyer to aquire them zoomed out and then quickly zoom in once you have it in the viewfinder. This lens by sigma is amazing in how sharp it is. It compares to primes very well. Plus i bought it used for under 4k were a lens like a canon 500F4 would be in the 5k area plus even though the 500F4 is a stop faster am sure i would have a 1.4 teleconverter on it almost always makeing it a 5.6 lens anyways.

My sigma works well with a 1.4 converter on it. Still pretty sharp but needs stopping down one stop to make it nice and sharp with converter on it. But hey its a 1120mm lens then.