• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

What would your rather have?

Anthony Arkadia

A canon 1dsmkII, Price = $7,000.00 USD?

or

A Canon 5D, Canon 85MM F1.2 II, Canon 35MM F1.4, Canon 70-200MM F2.8 IS? = $7,000.00 USD

People sometimes never look at the big picture!

Anthony,
there is never a simple answer to this question. Everybody has decide for him/herself.
Most of us have limited funds, so the choice can be hard sometimes, but yet it's really a question of personal/business preferences/needs.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
I'd go for the 1DsII.

Better camera. Heavier, meaning less movement at lower speeds. Better focus. Better files according to Stephen Eastwood.

I'd buy it used with the lenses according to my style of work.

However, if this was for travel, I might go for the 5D and think of the 5D as just my digicam for the while I save up for the 1DsIII.

Asher

Kathy Rappaport

pro member
Well, on the fence

Since my passion is people photography and travel/landscape I did initially buy the 5D when I did not intend to do any work professionally. This is one expensive endeavor!

I am still building my pro gear kit and have most of what I think I want - lenses, lighting and accessories. My plan is to have a full on studio. My next camera might be the upgrade to the 5D or will be the new III. But, I have to recoup some of my investment first

Somehow, i doubt that I will ever have enough....

Chuck Fry

Personally I'd rather have the 5D with the L lenses. I haven't played with a 1DS Mk II yet, but I love my 5D.

Dean Jones

Five High

Personally, I love the 5D...full frame sensor nails it every time, I'm not into 300fps, if I need that I'd just buy a video camera. Everyone seems obsessed with a high frame rate, perhaps they need to use an LF view camera for a while to re-discover what photography is all about? Much haste makes for little speed.

Erik DeBill

The 5D is very tempting (though I'd pass on your choice of lenses, even with unlimited budget). Lighter weight and smaller size is the big thing for me on that.

Of course, I was shooting in the rain with my 20D yesterday, so I kept wishing for weather sealing.

I'm hoping they come up with a successor to the 5D this fall. Otherwise I'll be sorely tempted to go for whatever replaces the 1DsMKII.

John_Nevill

I'm having a similar quandry, my preferences are 1DsmkII or 5D + EF300 f2.8 IS.

The EF300 f2.8 will ultimately replace the f4 and will be used on the 1DmkIIN.

The 5D will become the travel / landscape camera (as Asher suggests), smaller than a 1 series and less conspicuous.

Why the EF300 f2.8?, its very fast at focusing, works well with both 1.4 & 2x TCs and I find its my focal length of choice when shooting wildlife portraits. A quick peak at my wildlife library's metadata in lightroom, showed >60% of my images are shot at 300mm. It makes sense to me!

Daniel Harrison

pro member
well you can't shoot without lenses!

having said that I think I would look at a used 1DsmkII for 5000USD and then spend $2000 USD on Lenses I Need.

If I alreayd had the lenses I wanted then I would by the 1Dsmark II

if not the 5D

and if in the middle the used 1DsmkII

or maybe a 1DII....

it is endless, only you can decide (and you already have so if you are looking for reassurance, yes you made a wise choice. Doesn't mean that it is the only one)

Cheers!

Steve Saunders

The question is a bit restrictive simply because many of us would choose a different lens trio than the ones mentioned in the opening post.