• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Splitting hot shot to several speedlights?

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Has anyone a method suitable for the 5D, 1D(s)II and III series cameras for splitting the hot shoe output and keeping control?

There's this Dot Line Dual Off-Camera TTL Shoe Cord for All Canon EOS sold by B&H

here

Asher

Asher Kelman

Yes Kathy!

I have one of these! I just wanted to put several on a frame raised from my camera without using the ST-2! Thanks, anyway and good luck on the portait session!

Asher

Aaron Strasburg

Very Simple

All you have to do is hook them up in parallel. You can use extension cords, whatever. Just make sure none have a sync voltage above that which the camera (and other strobes) can handle.

The ultimate resource for this small light stuff that I've found is the Strobist blog. The Lighting 101 link at the top is a good place to start. He's a pro PJ so he has lots more tools at his disposal, but I think most of his field work is done with Nikon SBs triggered by Pocket Wizards rather than sync cables, but the idea is no different.

Aaron

Jan Luursema

Another solution would be to attach an off-shoe cord 2 to one of them, set that one on master and the other on slave, turn the IR lights towards each other.

Asher Kelman

Jan,

That's what I was thinking! Even of making a little light pipe to connect them! BTW, how's your work going? Any news?

Asher

Bob Cooper

Forget the cords unless you like to trip over wires while you are working.

Buy an ST-E2 and shot with the flashes set on manual. It is cheaper then buying a flash just to use it as a trigger but it still gives you the option to use E-TTL.

I use mine with three flashes. I have one 580EX set as a main light and another 580EX as a fill light. Both are flashed thru an umbrella while the third light, a 550EX, is used as a hair light.

Asher Kelman

Thanks,

I already have an STE-2. I just wanted to set up multiple flashes around my camera with a RRS circular flash bracket. I wasn't sure that the signal would be picked up when the flash units were so close and the red windows not facing. However, in a quick test, it works. I was just looking for hard wired solution since I may block the red light with modifiers.

Asher

Anthony Arkadia

I run pocket wizards when i want my third flash used off of the camera . For portraits i have been having a nice effect bouncing the flash off of my camera bracket on an umbrella behind, and above the camera. I also use 3 background supports, left and right are always white, it acts like a shooting dome. When i am after different effects, i sometimes i cover the whole enclosure.