• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Bald Eagle - Focus settings

John Harper

Hello

I had mentioned in my previous post that i have been trying to capture birds in flight, and would like to get peoples opinions as to the best focus settings. I am using a EOS 1D MKIIN so it does give you a fighting chance.

The 2 pictures were taken in AI servo, but to be honest i miss having the red confirmation lights indicating what the camera has decided to focus on. I wonder if one shot would better but then risk other photos in a sequence drifting out of focus.

I have also tried CF 4-3 but to be honest found it slower and didn't feel comfortable swinging the camera around using only 3 fingers and my palm to hold it.

Is there a setting that lets you know in the viewfinder what is being focussed on in AI servo?

Any comments/ advice appreciated.

John

eagle2.jpg

eagle1.jpg

Hi John,

Both of these are very nice captures. I especially love the action in the second one.

Regarding your focus questions, there are probably as many preferences and techniques as there are photographers, with different approaches in different situations. That said, here's my personal preference (shooting with the 1DMk2):

I manually select the center focus point, which is the most sensitive, and use CF17 set to 1 to enable automatic switching to the 7 surrounding focus points when needed. I have CF20 set to 1 (slow). Finally, I definitely use CF4 set to 3, so I control AutoFocus with the * button, with AI Servo almost always used. I'm almost always using Manual Exposure, so CF4 can be set to 1 or 3, it doesn't matter.

Using the * button does take time to get used to, but I find it much more versatile and gives me more control. It gives me One-Shot AF capability at the same time as AI Servo, depending on whether or not I keep my thumb pressed on the button.

Finally, I don't use it too often, but I have "registered" as the AF point the "ring of fire" (complete autofocus selection by the camera using all focus points), and have CF18 set to 2, so this is engaged when pressing the "Assist/WB" button. In this way, I use the central FP alone when pressing the * button, and allow auto selection when pressing the Assist/WB button. One of the main times I would use this second approach is if I'm trying to track a bird in flight against clear sky, with no background trees, etc. That way I'll have a better chance of keeping focus on the bird.

Hope this helps!

John Harper

Don

Thanks very much for the advice on this, looks like i will have to stick with CF 4-3 and just get some more practice in i shall set the camera up as you suggest and give it a go.

Coming from a 20D to a ID is quite a jump in the things you can set the camera to do, so it is going to take me some time to get my head round it all. But having used the 1D I wouldn't want to go back to solely the 20D.

Thanks again for your time and trouble

John