• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

How many cameras are too few?

Mike Spinak

pro member
The right number of cameras for a person is dependent upon:

1) What the photographer is trying to accomplish;

2) The photographer's disposition and circumstances;

3) External events and situations.

The right answer for any given individual can vary widely. In fact, the right answer for the same person can change at different times.

Steve Saunders

Mike is right. For me, two is perfect. Three would be good as well but I can manage with two. One camera body isn't enough for most thimgs IMHO, you really have to have a backup body even if you only ever use just one for your usual type of shooting.

Paul Bestwick

pro member
I have 3. My main & a backup. Both 1 Series. I addition to that I have a low end dslr which was my original backup.
In the days of flim I used to carry 2 Hassleblads, 2 Eos 1N's & a leica M6.
What I have now is so much easier to handle & I like the results better too.
Any how, how many is enough ? For me, 2 would be fine.

Scott B. Hughes

I suggest that zero cameras would be too few.

Being that this topic is in the "Entry Digital Photography" section, I feel that one camera is ideal for someone starting out in photography, digital or otherwise. This may not apply if the user is simply making the switch from analog to digital.

Years ago, a wise man suggested to me that one camera/one lens is the best approach early on in the learning process.

Master the one lens/focal length (this was before zooms were so common place) before moving on to another focal length.

It's sad to witness users with more dollars than sense, walking about with a bag overflowing with lenses and when they show you their work.... well, it's underwhelming to say the least.

Paul Bestwick

pro member
Hey Scott,

I would go along with that. Actually, when I look at some of my competition I would say that zero cameras would be just about right.

PB

Ed Cordes

I agree that it depends on the photographer, situation, and goals. I started out with one and then when I began to travel specifically for photography a spare body became important.