• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

20 minutes

....grmbl.... I can not get my head around that damn DAM stuff today... <grins> 2 computers, 1 Raid, 3 external HD's ~2TB storage with programs, music, photos, scratchdisks, and all pretty much in a state of "creative chaos". I need to get that sorted before anything else.

Anyhow, while still digging through old stuff, I came across something that I thought describes best the unique quality of Light available here in Ireland. It was last November and I was trying to shoot rocks on the beach while the weather changed.... with in 20 minutes the both pictures were taken.... luckily I had my Filters with me and so I went up the rocks and used a ND 3.0 on the second picture with 30 seconds exposure which caused the slow incoming tide to blur to a "fog".

Isn't it a spectecular change in just ~20 minutes? It was a very mild november day, not a cloud in the sky when I shot the rocks, needless to say, I got soaked to the bone before I went home. <grins>

20minutes_1.jpg

20minutes_2.jpg

P.S. Due to the lack of better equipment such as T/S Lense etc. I tried a little trick on the second picture. I selected a triangle from where the light hits the water going to the rocks in the foreground. I only sharpened this part of the picture.

Paul Bestwick

pro member
nice Georg. This photo could go from great to iconic with some expert photoshop work. Yea, someone who is really good at photoshopping landscapes could turn this into something wonderful.
As it is, (be aware that landscapes are not my area of expertise) this image is gorgeous. The strong light, contrasted by the dark sky.....phew. The beautiful texture & tones in the rocks. The grassy foreground is the only weak point but as I said, someone with an understanding of landscapes & the appropriate manipulation techniques could no doubt work some magic with the more than adequate material you have provided.
Come on you qualified LS/PS types............have a go at working your magic on this image posted by Georg & show as how great it can be.

Cheers,

Paul

Paul Bestwick

pro member
Hey Georg,

here is an example of what I do to an image. When I make an album for a client I spend a lot of time in PS getting the look I want.
This is a transformation of the guys waiting for the girls to show up.

guys%201.jpg

guys%202.jpg

Interesting. Thanks much for that example Paul!

In my eyes, the orgininal picture looks rather uninteresting to me, 4 stagemanaged chaps in suits that do not fit, looking rather blunt and not comfortable with their outfit, trying to hang out the macho, not even successful I might add. <grins>

Then the you worked your Bestwick magic in b&w and the image shows a "Matrix-Style" atmosphere in deed.

The chapo on the left, if he would not smile, this picture could have a compeletly different "quality", and the front chap could be perceived as showing his "ruthless-evil" face, showing you the last place on earth, the church in the backgorund, that you will see if you do not cough up and pay your poker debts in the next 24 hours, the guy on the very right who has seen it all, and the one next to him, who can not wait to hear the sound of your crushing bones. Hehehehe.

You know, when I started to think about a business with photography, of course weddings were one thought that crossed my mind, considering the funny money that can be made in this field. I just do not know whether I have the social skills, I rather doubt it, and of course the nerves to deal with all that. As tempting as the money is, I dismissed that idea early.

Paul Bestwick

pro member
Georg,

these guys were deperate criminals who had escaped from jail & were on there way into that very church to confess their sins to the priest.........

(thanks for your compilmetary, irish comments)

Cheers,

Paul