• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Calibration and profiling of monitors

D

Doug Kerr

Although some of you were kind enought to explain this to me before, I can't get all my thoughts to come togather, so I am going to have to ask for a refresher on the role of monitor calibration and monitor profiles.

As I understand it:

A. When we calibrate a monitor, we arrange for values to be written into the video board's LUT so that the display chain (driver+video board+monitor proper) will exhibit a certain standardized response at its "input". In effect, it arranges for the display chain to follow a certain color space definition.

B. A profile for a certain monitor is a set of parameters, held in a standard format file, that can be consulted by a profile-aware application (e.g. Photoshop) to define how it should transform an image it is holding from the standard intermediate color space (PCS - the Profile Connection Space) to the color space exhibited by the display chain (at its input).

Now, my questions:

1. Are the above two statements essentially true? [If not, then the next question may not really work.]

2. What is the "standard color space at the display chain input" (as discussed in A, above) that we try to put into effect by the calibration process (and the attendant populating of the display LUT)? Is it in fact a standard, or is it just an arbitrary color space that the maker of the calibrating/profiling package thinks would be well-behaved?

Thanks.

D

Doug Kerr

An answer (?)

Well, since I wrote, I have found some information which seems to confirm my understandings (1) and (2) and which suggests, with regard to my question (B):

The color space we try to extablish for the display chain is that defined by (a) white point (in terms of color temperature) and (b) gamma, namely the ones we advise the calibration system we wish to have in play.

Fascinating.

Best regards,

Doug

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Also do a search here under Rodney as he I believe discussed this recently. Let me know if you can't find it and then I'll dig for you! It's important we should make this thread complete with a solid response.

Asher

D

Doug Kerr

Hi, Asher,

Also do a search here under Rodney as he I believe discussed this recently. Let me know if you can't find it and then I'll dig for you!

Would you please. You can probably find it more readily than I could.

Thanks.

Best regards,

Doug