• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

CF SD cards

Ron Morse

I have never had a 1 series camera. As soon as I can I'm going to get the MIII. I have CF cards for my 20D. Do I have to use a SD card as well as a CF card in the 1 series or is it an option?

Unless they have done something wierd with the 1DM3 since last I looked, you can use either or both or have it switch from one to the other when one is full.
With my 1DsMkII, I personally routinely use the CF cards and keep the SD card in the camera for unexpected opportunities that come up when the CF card is full.

Ron Morse

Thanks Tim. I guess that about answers my question. It sounds like it might be a good idea when I get it to get a SD card for the reason that you mention.

Nill Toulme

It can be used any number of ways or not at all. You can have it switch from one to the other when the first is full, or backup files to both cards, or write RAW to one card and jpg to the other, and maybe some other options that I've forgotten.

I keep an 8GB CF and a 4GB SD in my Mark II. I can shoot almost 1500 RAW frames at a soccer match without having to open the camera in the field.

Nill
~~
www.toulme.net

Ron Morse

It can be used any number of ways or not at all. You can have it switch from one to the other when the first is full, or backup files to both cards, or write RAW to one card and jpg to the other, and maybe some other options that I've forgotten.

I keep an 8GB CF and a 4GB SD in my Mark II. I can shoot almost 1500 RAW frames at a soccer match without having to open the camera in the field.

Nill
~~
www.toulme.net

I planned on using a 8GB CF but didn't know what to do with the SD. 1500 RAWs WOW!!! I won't have to pick and choose so much at the horse shows anymore.

Alan T. Price

Others have answered your question but let me add a few comments.

If you are shooting something as precious as a wedding that really matters and cannot be repeated, then there is merit in using both the SD and CF cards simultaneously with one as a backup for the other.

You may also find that the SD cards work a little faster than the CF cards, so perhaps they should be the primary card in a single-card setup if speed is your main concern. However, I find them to be a little flimsy and seemingly if not actually more fragile than a CF card, so I generally use the CF card and keep the SD as an in-camera spare.

Nill Toulme

Not to mention the pesky little devils are so easy to lose. I don't even like to take them out of the camera in the field, only in my office... and even then I lost one this week for a couple days when it sneakily slipped itself under one of my keyboards!

Nill
~~
www.toulme.net