• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

CPN Masterclass about Mark III

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
The Master Class is well presented. However, it covers a vast amount of functionality in a short space of time. It is more of sales and marketing device than a comprehensive learning tool. Still, it does highlight so much of the special feautres of the 1DIII.

It highlights the simplified yet more comprehensive custom frunction list and the new possibilities for image tranmisson and storage.

Although it refers to higher dynamic range of images or greater ability to have increased tonality range in the highlights, there are no examples and histograms to demonstrate that this indeed true.

The so called "silent mode" is a joke! It merely allows one to trip the shutter and keep the mirror from crashing down for the second component of the normal shtter mash. By burying the camera under a coat or going outside to let down the mirrow, it's supposed to be now quite enough!

Well, from the recordings, I really am not too impressed! The same functionality should be achievable by using live view mode, which has mirror lockup and just keep the mirror up. I think Canon could have come up with something better for "silent mode", like a slick noise dampening jacket!

Asher

Nill Toulme

Asher as I mentioned over in the other thread, the 1-series DSLRs have always had a PF that reduces shutter sound considerably, but I'm hopeful that the new iteration of that function is even better. The specs say, as I recall, that it reduces shutter noise from 77db to 70, which would be significant.

It's not a joke even in its present version; it's definitely useful in a quiet venue and I leave it enabled all the time. If the new version is quieter still, it will be a good thing.

Nill
~~
www.toulme.net