• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

'The photographic expedition' or 'Oft-times a snapshot is the best you can do'

Ray West

I was downstairs, sitting down, up in front of this pc, but leaning on the morning, when I was disturbed by a banging in my head. I awakened from my day dreaming, realizing it was my wife, stamping on the floor of my daughter's old bedroom. Ever obedient, I dashed up stairs, pausing only to let the dog out, chat to the postman (who always has biscuits for the dogs on his person and his round) and to put on the kettle for yet another cup of coffee.

My wife pointed out the bedroom window, (but I already knew where it was) a young buck was chewing on the may. 'I'll try and take a shot, I said, and dashed back down, heading towards my shotgun cabinet, but grabbing the camera from its bag, since it's nearer, and marginally quieter in its operation... indeed the bag is always very silent.

The 20d is normally attached to the 24/70, my favourite lens. Was there time to change? No, my shoes were OK, and I was wearing no bright clothes (but I was not naked, so I did not need to put on more clothes, but had turned off the kettle, which I had put on earlier).

Which way to turn? A shot through a window? No! Reflections, movement, and the beast was only about 5 yards from the house. Outside, around the side, under the car port, find something to stand on (car bonnet - hood in USA English,afaik - not an option), lens over the top of the six foot gate.

Dog, where's the dog? "Come on Bonnie, go and see mummy... No, I'm not playing... get inside..... NOW!" - not too loud, don't slam the door.

Drat it. Can't get to the car port gate - a bl**dy car's in the way.

Right, turn left, leg it along the front path, quietly down the top of the retaining wall, crouch down, peer around the corner, slowly, slowly, don't wet yourself. He's still there, munching away.

Move back, out of line of sight, take a few deep breaths, because once that 20d shutter fires, he won't be there much longer.

Peep out again, stabilise, fire one!

Click, but no 'thwang'. Uh? damn 20d battery grip. Maybe check settings. No, ISO set OK, whatever 'H' means - ah! its an abreviation 'cos they don't want to admit 'how off' the iso values are. Just as I was thinking that I will set it to the magic green box, - 'thwang!!!' mirror reset. Of course, I wouldn't leave the lens cap on, I never do that. I can't have, since I'd spotted the dear deer through the viewfinder, and got the red square on him, not the bush, and I remember dropping the cap on the hall table on the way out, and thinking " I bet I can't remember where I left that, when I come back in", but then, as I opened the door, I heard it fall onto the floor..... and roll.

Anyway, to cut a short story long, I managed to get off 8 shots, and then I decided to get my tele lens. He heard the first mirror slap, but couldn't identify it, but I guess he knew it was not a Nikon. After the second or third, he had moved slightly, but then resumed munching. Hawthorn leaves are tasty.

I went indoors to get the tele lens, foot at the ready, to push Bonnie back inside. I crept into the dining room, thinking I may get a few shots through the window before changing the lens, but by the time I'd reached the window, he had gone (the time to reach the dining room window had little to do with the distance involved, but more in connection with what was going on there at that time).

_MG_4200.jpg

If anyone has any ideas on how to process the original, to get something they think is worthwhile or even OK, then feel free. I will happily post the raw file.

Best wishes,

Rat

Jack_Flesher

Good one Rat!

I just stepped into my office, morning coffee fresh in hand, sat down at my computer and fired her up, sipped some coffee while she woke up, clicked on my new OPF posts link in "favorites", took another sip, clicked on this thread, took another sip, began to read and promptly erupted in laughter spraying coffee all over my keyboard!

PS: Did you find the lenscap?
PPS: Does your dog bite, or is she no ordinary rabbit??

Cheers,

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
Deer Ray

I'm not sure I got all the allusions (because of my English for kitchen) but I like the story and the style, I felt when reading that this could have happened to me!

That kind of fever you feel when something you feel important to shoot, that can dissapear within a second.

That feeling of emergency and you're not ready! and the more you feel you may lnot get it the more you get clumsy...

Perfect sensations feed back.

I want more!

Cem_Usakligil

Great story!

"Deer" Ray (just imitating Nicolas here ;-)),

This is a very interesting story, I could almost feel your own emotions when reading! Obviously, I've liked it immensly :).

I need to have some time to digest it and come back to you with a longer and proper answer, possibly with some personal stories to add. It may take some days though since I am very busy right now. But in the meanwhile, as Nicolas has written before, "We Want More!".

Cheers,

Sue Butler

Ray,

I sure did laugh.
Great story ...... I'm envisaging your haste to try and get that shot. Funny how flustered you get when you know you don't have much time and aren't sure which lens is on the camera ;)

You've done well to capture him and get 8 shots!

cheers,
Sue

Kathy Rappaport

pro member
Every picture has a story

And I loved the story to this one. Yes, the excitement and frustration are always something when you are trying to capture the fleeting moments that are tranistory.

When we are not at home our dogs think the breakfast room table is a viewing platform for bird and squirrel watching. They thought I'd left yesterday and I caught them up there - they are small and stretch their back legs out while laying down - two of them. By the time I tiptoed down the hall to grab the camera (24-70 on it = check) and got back to my vantage point they realized that they hadn't been scolded yet so it was safe to jump down where I would think they were behaving themselves. I have tried for that shot at least a dozen times and have nothing to show for those efforts.