• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Friday = Fun Day

Ray West

My intention is to make Friday = Fun Day. So any thing you think of, vaguely photographic, but sort of amusing, or just a bit odd, start a thread here, in Layback Cafe.

This is my offering for this week

It was maybe forty-odd years ago, myself and a couple of mates decided to go hill walking one weekend in the Lake District. Dave had been there many times before, and Chris and I had rambled around Dartmoor and Exmoor.

After almost a day travelling, we got there. This was a few years before the motorways had reached 'up-north', and we were living in Plymouth, practically the other end of the known world. We found a camp site, crashed out, and the next day we set out, with our ordnance survey maps, to conquer Helvelyn. This involved a walk along the ridge of rock known as Striding Edge, The day was very, very misty, I guess the visibility was about ten to twenty feet. From memory, Striding Edge is about a foot wide, fifty miles long, with shear drops on each side. Our progress was slow, and for the couple of us less experienced walkers, a bit worrying. There were one or two memorials on the way, to folk who had fallen over the edge, and never been found alive.

Anyway, we eventually reached the summit, and crouching down, behind the wind shelter, opened the Kendal Mint, brewed some tea, and had a minor celebration. We felt pretty well pleased with ourselves.

After about ten minutes, a black Labrador dog came sniffing around, then another. We got up to look for the owners. We found another group of about a dozen climbers, and a couple more dogs, just arriving. We started chatting to them, saying how difficult the climb had been, since it was so misty, we could hardly see our feet. We learnt that they had left well after us, and by comparison, they must have almost run up the hill. We also found out that their dogs were guide dogs, and that most of the group were blind. Somehow, we felt we had not achieved quite so much.

Best wishes,

Ray

Jack_Flesher

I am always amazed at what some handicapped folks can accomplish. I have a client who ended up a paraplegic after a climbing accident. A few years later, he climbed El Capitan in Yosemite -- with a buddy of course, but still, it made me feel somewhat inadequate...

Ray West

today's multi-level quirky offering

groin.jpg

The Land-Sea interface

StuartRae

myself and a couple of mates decided to go hill walking one weekend in the Lake District.

I always enjoy reading the Mountain Rescue Teams' incident reports. As well as the more serious ones, there are many which I find quite hilarious. Here are two reports from the Ambleside and Langdale MRT.

"A Manchester man went up Loughrigg to photograph the sunset, perhaps not realising how dark it would be once said event happened. As a result he was unable to find his way down. He phoned two friends for help initially and they took a torch, but were unable to located him. We were then called, and located the man after a brief search. "

"A woman phoned for help after being unable to find her way off Loughrigg. She described herself as having climbed walls and fences and being quite close to the road. It took us a while to get to her, having become trapped in what amounted to somebody's very large, very overgrown back garden. "

Regards,

Stuart

StuartRae

Hi Ray,

This reminds me of an embarrassing experience I had a few years ago. This is what I wrote in my diary.

"It was raining heavily, so I did a low level walk round Derwentwater from Portinscale to Lodore, where I intended to catch the launch home. The wet wooden boards of the Lodore landing stage provided little grip for my walking boots, and even less for my nylon over-trousers. The boatman watched impassively as I slid slowly and gracefully towards him. Eventually he spoke. 'Going to Keswick?', he asked."

Stuart

Cem_Usakligil

Beware of the pickpockets!

Well, it's not Friday yet (here at GMT+1-2) but what the heck, I've had some fun yesterday and I want to share it with you right here, right now .

Yesterday late afternoon, my photography buddy Evelyne and I (along with some other photographers from a local club) went shooting at a nature reservation near where we live. The weather was great and our spirits rose even more when we left the trodden paths and wandered right into the "wilderness" (whatever that may mean in a country such as the Netherlands). It is a marshy area, where some wild horses and oxen roam. Again, "wild" is a bit exaggerated, as the pictures below will soon prove it. So we've eventually run into this herd of some 15 horses. As per the rules of the reservation, we were supposed to keep a distance of at least 50 meters. When we started setting up in order to take some pictures, they've decided to come over and check us out. In no time, they were all over us. Sniffing, licking and pushing; in short being very "intimidating". I am not a horse person myself and it is not an easy feeling being so near to such big animals. So we moved our gear but they kept on following us wherever we went. In the end, I kind of became a decoy attracting the horses while the others could take some pictures unhindered. Here is one taken by Evelyne of me and a naughty horse trying to pick my pockets:

img_26464_0_155799762-L.jpg

2007 - Evelyne D.

Another one showing me with my new found buddies:

img_26464_1_155799765-L.jpg

2007 - Evelyne D.

I don't know whether any of my pictures will be any good, yet. As I mentioned in another thread yesterday, went back to shooting analog and now have to wait two days for the film to be processes .

PS: I assume this could also be considered as a "self" portrait, just guess which one is me

Cheers,

Last edited:

Ray West

Hi Cem,

I happen to think that last shot is very good, I think it is one you would want to keep and frame. I would be surprised if there were others taken on that day that were any better. All group portraits should try for that - getting up close and personal ;-)

Best wishes,

Ray

Angela Weil

Fun Day...

Cem, very nice. Thanks for sharing. Either one looks like a good portrait: Natural, relaxed, happy, having a good time with friends.
Angela

The weather was great and our spirits rose even more when we left the trodden paths and wandered right into the "wilderness" (whatever that may mean in a country such as the Netherlands).

Well, last year I almost got ran over by a couple of 'Konik' horses in a nature reserve called 'the blue chamber' (Blauwe Kamer, near Rhenen). I heard them coming so I side-tracked, and they dashed along full speed 15 seconds later ... (the prospect of being trampled by wild horses' hoofs is wild enough for my taste).

Koniks_2661.jpg

Yes I'm a coward, ready to hurl my camera and monopod and myself (in that order) over the fence at the right should they have taken a left turn (I had no idea what was about to happen, all I heard were wild horses whinnying, and trampling hoofs coming closer...).

Bart

Cem_Usakligil

You have made me ROFL....Friday Fun accomplished!

Well, last year I almost got ran over by a couple of 'Konik' horses in a nature reserve called 'the blue chamber' (Blauwe Kamer, near Rhenen). ....

Yes I'm a coward, ready to hurl my camera and monopod and myself (in that order) over the fence at the right should they have taken a left turn (I had no idea what was about to happen, all I heard were wild horses whinnying, and trampling hoofs coming closer...)....
Great, a real stampede right here in the Netherlands! And here I was thinking that a stampede was something that only happened at events such as the opening of the Victor & Rolf collection for sale at a famous dept. store <LOL>.

Thanks a lot for sharing :).

Cheers,

Ray West

this week's thing

Friday again,

I was going to relate a tale I heard on the radio, (during my first childhood) from Bernard Miles - Lord Bernard Miles - he worked hard at acting, and comedy and with his wife, he founded the Mermaid Theatre . The story involved Pythagoras, and was related in what I thought at the time was a rural Dorset type accent, when I heard it on the radio, many, many years ago. (It was a Hertford accent - even further foreign to Devon, but the same characters lived near me)

Anyway, the wonders of the www, the full script is here http://www.jerryseadog.com/Music/OVER THE GATE.htm and you can still buy cd's of much of his stuff.

Now, if you read the script I've linked to, it may be a test of your understanding of written colloquial English, but I will attempt to translate if requested.

The actual tale that I was after is at the bottom of part 1. I guess it was performed first just after ww2, although I heard it much later.

Spend some time translating it, and smile.

To relate it to photography, I can see the crusader's tomb, more clearly in my mind, then any of our sharpest lenses can show. Our village churches are full of them.

Best wishes,

Ray

Ray West

Hi Cem,

The trouble is, you start mis-reading things, when you shouldn't. I mean, it was deliberate where he says things like 'a wound turning sceptical', but I misread a post here, where Mel said they were a single parent with no children (in fact it was written as 'no childcare'. (There is plenty of tests, showing that when reading, if the first and last letters of the word are correct, and the others are there, then it can be speed read, in English language, at least. (but myabe not if it is not yuor olny luaagnge.)

Lookee here http://www.mrc-cbu.cam.ac.uk/~mattd/Cmabrigde/

Beast washes,

Rat

Ray West

cicada cacophony

Well, I've cheated this week, again....

A thread started here http://www.openphotographyforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3084 about cicadas. I haven't seen one, but it reminded me of some stuff I was looking at some time ago re prime numbers - in fact it was about flower petals. I couldn't find the original link, but this one is quite nicely done. Don't be shy, play the game. http://www.musicoftheprimes.com/primes_in_nature.htm#

The only snag, there is no sound, well not on a cicada level that is.

Best wishes,

Ray

(ps next week - rabbit photos - I promise)

StuartRae

there was a discussion about auto WB in another thread. Of course it's virtually impossible to correctly deploy a grey card when photographing landscapes, as the lighting near the camera could be very different from the lighting on the distant subject.

For some time now I've been thinking of petitioning the Lake District Park Authority to erect giant Whibal cards at strategic locations. Just think how much easier it would be to capture the correct colours of this beautiful, unspoilt landscape.

Anyone interested in signing my petition?

whibal.jpg

Regards,

Stuart

StuartRae

The only problem I can see is that the LDPA will insist on the cards being painted green.

An alternative solution would be to selectively breed a flock of neutral 16% grey sheep.

sheep.jpg

Vivek Khanzode

Now that _IS_ hilarious..... Just imagine the possibilities....16% gray sweaters for all photographers...not to mention the hats, mufflers, earmuffs and the like....

-- V

The only problem I can see is that the LDPA will insist on the cards being painted green.

An alternative solution would be to selectively breed a flock of neutral 16% grey sheep.

sheep.jpg

Ray West

better late than never, or maybe better never

For all of you disappointed that I did not keep my 'rabbit photo' promise, (from June 1st), here's one of some of the nuisances next door, the reason/excuse for me not gardening, the little rascals, 'cos they come over here too, plus their friends and family.

rabbits.jpg

If NiKolai wishes, I could post a sharper image of the barbed wire ;-)

Best wishes,

Ray

StuartRae

Tired but happy!

October is tupping time in the Lake District. Last year I saw this magnificent Herdwick ram, taking a well deserved rest after completing his work for the year.
A few days later the pregnant ewes were being driven up into the fells, where they over-winter until lambing time the following spring.

ram.jpg

Ray West

Hi,

A day early, but you may want to spend tomorrow playing with this link

http://www.nationaltrustnames.org.uk/

this is a more direct link to the work developed by these folk.

http://www.spatial-literacy.org/

On this page, if you hit the 'search the e-society' button, and enter a post code, you get an idea of how they categorise your area. (This is defined here http://www.spatial-literacy.org/esocietyprofiler/all7.php)

I find some of the illustrations and the associated descriptions to be, how can I say it? ... 'typical'

Have fun,

Best wishes,

Ray

Cem_Usakligil

If you never bother following the links I post, then you'll miss this one, too

http://my.break.com/media/view.aspx?ContentID=365181

(work-safe (although not safe working practices) - what firemen do when they get bored.)

Best wishes,

Ray
LOL, this reminds me of a scene from the War of the Worlds.
Is this maybe the first prototype of a next generation hovercraft? Wasn't that a British invention too?

Cheers,

Last edited:
(work-safe (although not safe working practices) - what firemen do when they get bored.)

LOL, cool rig.

From their body language it seems the landing wasn't quite as smooth as anticipated ... (makes you wonder who donated his car for the experiment, unless it was junk already).

Bart

Ray West

This one, if not seen already, I know Cem in particular will love.

http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/winrg

It's a version of a windows prototype 'Windows Really Good'. I think it runs on the Mac, too, maybe even linux or a mobile phone. I have never used word, but the version in this OS is very, very good. I think the OS makes more sense than Vista, uses a lot less memory.

Best wishes,

Ray

StuartRae

They say that owners begin to look like their dogs.

Here are Fred and Jess on the path between Thorneythwaite and Seathwaite. Fred says it's the most alert he's looked for years!

Fred-Jess.jpg

Cem_Usakligil

They say that owners begin to look like their dogs.

Here are Fred and Jess on the path between Thorneythwaite and Seathwaite. Fred says it's the most alert he's looked for years!
Great shot Stuart, and by the way, I know that place! How come I wonder? <LOL>
They indeed look like each other, they are even colour-coordinated. On top of that, Fred's accessories (leash, strap, etc) are a nice touch to complete the whole sense of unity.

Cheers,