• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Cryptic Mesage in LR Library

Bob Schwartz

Frequently, as I go through pictures in the Library module, I find thumbnails with an exclamation point. When I click on the exclamation point, I get one of the following two messages:

The first is: "The metadata for this photo has been changed by another application. How should Lightroom synchronize this data?" It then gives three choices: " Import Settings from Disk", "Overwrite Settings", and "Do Nothing".

The second is: "There was an unknown error while writing metadata to this photo. Retry?" The three choices for this one are: "Import Settings from Disk", "Retry Metadata Export", and "Do Nothing".

In both cases, I have to click on each photo individually to apply any of the responses.

My questions are as follows:

1. What causes these messages?
2. What are the best responses in each case?
3. Is there any way to apply whatever response is chosen to all such files in a folder?

Bob