• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

color/ink problems with Epson 2200

Erik DeBill

For the last year or two I've been printing with an Epson 2200. For the most part I like it. It does a pretty good job of printing both black and white and color. Using a properly color managed workflow, I get prints that look pretty close to what's on the monitor. I've never had a clog, which I understand is something that other people experience regularly with this printer.

I generally use Photoshop Elements or Lightzone to print, Epson Enhanced Matte paper and stock Epson inks. I use the Epson factory profiles. For black and white I use Quadtone Rip. I calibrate my monitors (a pair of 20" LCDs) regularly.

Sometimes, it all goes to crap, though. Between two prints I'll suddenly pick up a nasty color cast. A typical example happened today. Some bluebonnets suddenly began showing up as purplish. I checked both the LEDs on the printer and the Epson printer utility, and both said I wasn't running low on ink - I was almost there on light cyan, light grey and light black, but not close enough to get any warnings.

The fix for this is to take out any ink cartridges that are nearing empty, put them back in, and print again. 75% of the time that does the trick. The rest of the time I have to do it again.

Today it cropped on an 11x14 print. Round one of the remove, replace, reprint routine didn't fix it and I wasted an 8x10. Round two worked on a very small test print and then went back to broken when I tried to do a larger test. I just gave up and replaced all the cartridges that were getting low.

Has anyone else had this kind of problem with Epson printers? It seems like either the ink level sensors misread things or the cartridges are prone to bubbles in the lines. I've been contemplating getting a 3800, but if they're prone to this same problem I might just pass on Epson and give HP a try. Having a 16x20 come out sickly green would be maddening.

Paul Caldwell

Epson Printers

I have had this problem on most Epson's on and off.

1280 will do every once and a while very similar to what you are describing. Most times it is the black cart that does this. It will just stop printing mid way through a print. Most times I can get it back with one nozzle cleaning, but sometimes it takes more.

820 has to be the worst Epson I have ever used. Only use it for non critical prints, labels and the like. It needs to be cleaned everytime it's turned on.

7600, different issues, never stops printing a particular color but will band.

7800, totally different issues, still trying to get mine stable.

Note on the 3800, I believe Epson uses the same cart design as on the 7800 and 9800 in that the carts are pressurized to help keep the lines clean. I have considered the 3800 since it has a sheet feed but haven't gone there yet.

As for HP, you will find people that seem to have problems and others don't. Plently of issues on their new line currently voiced over on Luminous Landscape.
I have worked with Epsons now long enough to know alot of their in's and out's and will stay with them for now.

One thing to try on the 2200. I am sure it's like the 1280 in that it has a capping station. This is where the head is parked when the unit is not printing. When you move the cartridges out to replace one, you should see a felt pad over to the right side of the printer. This is where the heads park and this pad needs to be moist. Epson designs the printers to pull out a bit of ink to help keep this pad moist. Often on my 1280 and 7600 this pad will dry out and I will put a bit of warm water on it. You won't need much.

My 1280 has been a great printer as it's going on 4 years now and has made a huge number of prints for me. I am moving to non Epson ink on it due to costs and it's role in my shop.

Paul C.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Paul,

From where you are now, if your 7800 vanished, what would you buy and why?

I was going to get a Canon then there's a flood of complaints about poor service and no back up for printheads that go wrong.

What would you do? Wait for the next Epson?

Eric, I'm thinking that the 3800 might be a good solution. Is there a trade in with your suppliers? Given all your work with making your pictures, if you can, trade up! The 2200 is old technology. OTOH, it's a substantial extra outlay!

Asher

Paul Caldwell

Hi Asher

Simple answer. a 9800. I often wish I had the extra width, but my real world, it's hard enough to sell a 23 x 34 sized print.

I would stay with Epson. I bought my 7800 right when they first came out and I have often felt that it wasn't 100% when I first got it. Epson has worked on it a couple of time and now I feel about 75% comfortable with it. I will still get problems which so far I have been able to work around.

The Canons and HP's that have come out in the wide format models recently to appeal to me, however in my market it would cost me way to much to switch. Ink, paper, learning curve etc.

My 7800's single biggest problem is printing blue (skies and the like) I often have a very slight banding that shows up only when viewed at close distance. Not normal viewing distance. I have worked with Epson for a while on it and have come to a compromise, but I am still not 100% happy. It's funny the 7600 prints a wonderful blue but always had trouble with black. The 7800 I have prints a beautiful black on both a glossy or luster paper flawless.

Paul C

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Paul,

Sounds like each Epson printer has a personality. would it be worthwhile perhaps the cost of profiling by a color expert or do you have too many papers?

Asher

Erik DeBill

Going back to the OP — Erik have you ever run a nozzle check when this happens? Sure sounds like a clog to me.

No, I haven't bothered witha nozzle check, since the color change is always completely uniform - no streaky as I'd expect from individual clogged nozzles.

Nill Toulme

Perhaps... but if for some reason one entire cartridge is blocking up — an air bubble in its line, for example — then you would get a uniform color shift.

Easy enough to do a nozzle check and see.

Nill
~~
www.toulme.net

Mike Bailey

pro member
Erik,

When you said that you never had a clog, but did have the colors shift once in a while, which was fixed by removing/replacing cartridges, that sure does sound like clogs since the purging caused by inserting a cartridge would be resolving it. I've had two 2200 printers for four or five years now and as they age seem to have a bit more of a clogging problem, one in particular. Nothing huge, but there. And a clog will cause what appears to be a complete color shift (sometimes, depending on the cartridge). Either way you end up having to do what you do anyhow: clean the heads, use up a lot of ink, etc.

Next time it happens a nozzle check would probably show some gaps in the test pattern.

And then there's the occassional head alignment problem but that shows up as banding. My same 2200 that clogs more often seems to get out of alignment more readily than the other, so I guess that's just variation since both printers are about the same age and get a similar amound of use.

Mike

Diane Fields

This came up on another forum and I suggested the same there. I had the 2200 from the month it came out and didn't have much clogging. However, in my experience, when there was a clog, it showed itself as a complete shift in color--not banding. My suggestion is to always run a nozzle check. I learned to run one before any important printing--a cheap insurance. However, perhaps because of the area of the country I live in (southeast US), the clogs have been minimal--altho' they are all in an AC environment (though probably still much higher humidity than some other parts of the country/world). I had more problems with my 1280 and 875, but did the same with them--checked nozzles through the utilitiies.

My 3800 has been clog free thus far---and its been an excellent choice for me since I prefer to not use roll paper. I have been waiting for several weeks to replace one of the blacks--but it keeps going--and going---and going LOL. I have replacement carts for the ones that seemed to be going down quickly but they are still at a reasonable percentage except for one very low.

Diane

Erik DeBill

I had the 2200 from the month it came out and didn't have much clogging. However, in my experience, when there was a clog, it showed itself as a complete shift in color--not banding. My suggestion is to always run a nozzle check. I learned to run one before any important printing--a cheap insurance. However, perhaps because of the area of the country I live in (southeast US), the clogs have been minimal--altho' they are all in an AC environment (though probably still much higher humidity than some other parts of the country/world).

So what you're saying is that clogging problems with the 2200 aren't generally about clogged nozzles, but are actually more a matter of feed problems, probably caused by deficiencies in the design of the ink delivery system.

That would correllate it not involving banding, not being humidity related, and almost always happening near the end of a cartridge (when there is less pressure from the remaining ink to help move it through the feed system).

This would help make the pressurized cartridges on the 3800 more attractive :)

Per Ofverbeck

For the last year or two I've been printing with an Epson 2200. For the most part I like it....

Sometimes, it all goes to crap, though. Between two prints I'll suddenly pick up a nasty color cast. A typical example happened today. Some bluebonnets suddenly began showing up as purplish...

Has anyone else had this kind of problem with Epson printers?

Lots of, lately, with my 2100 (same as 2200), and I have an inkling I found out what´s happening (regrettably, no easy remedy....). I start a printing seesion, and all goes well, UNTIL I´ve printed several sheets, and the machine has cleaned itself a couple of times. Now, suddenly those dirty red-brownish bands start to appear, often at the very start of a new print. If I give up and stop printing, usually all is well again the next day.

When looking into the printer on these occasions, I always see that the sponge at the resting position for the printheads is literally swimming with ink, and it takes some time for it to get absorbed (so far, I´ve had no warning messages about the waste tank being full, but I suppose it´s coming). My interpretation is that this unhealthy mixture of all the inks gets on the heads and contaminates the pure inks (it is not enough to cause streaks, or to contaminate edges or borders of the print). Once the excess ink is drained, the problem goes away for a while.

I´m still uncertain whether I found the true explanation or not, but by now I had enough of it. I don´t find it economical to pay for service on a more or less worn-out machine (the auto sheet feed is long gone; I have to feed everything manually, in the cardboard slot), so I´m getting a new printer next Monday. Still, after looking at the Canon and HP alternatives, I´ve decided to get the Epson 3800 after all. It does have user-replaceable waste tanks....

Erik DeBill

I´m still uncertain whether I found the true explanation or not, but by now I had enough of it. I don´t find it economical to pay for service on a more or less worn-out machine (the auto sheet feed is long gone; I have to feed everything manually, in the cardboard slot), so I´m getting a new printer next Monday. Still, after looking at the Canon and HP alternatives, I´ve decided to get the Epson 3800 after all. It does have user-replaceable waste tanks....

I've never had it affect the actual printing, but I occasionally get ink marks on the edge of the paper. They extend 1/4 - 3/8" in (I never print borderless). I've had good luck soaking up the extra ink from the sponge with paper towels. You need a whole lot of them, but you can just fold them up a few times and press them into the sponge as if you're trying to squeeze it dry. That seems to help with my edge smears. Maybe it would help with your problem, too.

Diane Fields

No--not sure how feeding problems were implied. When the few times I had a clog--and had NOT run a nozzle test, it was apparent something was wrong--the color was wrong on the whole print--no banding. When I would run a nozzle test---one or more nozzles were clogged. I would run a cleaning, get a correct print out and print again--voila'----color was correct. I learned to always run a nozzle test before a print run. A very small unprinted area on the nozzle test print out can make a whole print be bad--looks like a color shift. However, I have to say that I had very few instances of this since I bought the 2200 when it first came out and have no clogs so far with the 3800 though that's only since December.

Printers running in a higher humidity environment seem to have less clogging problems--on other forums I have read of people making a small box to hold a moist sponge and inserting this into the printer, covering it when its not being used. This seems to keep the nozzles from clogging--I'm guessing because the feed at the end does not dry out.

Diane

Diane Fields

I've never had it affect the actual printing, but I occasionally get ink marks on the edge of the paper. They extend 1/4 - 3/8" in (I never print borderless). I've had good luck soaking up the extra ink from the sponge with paper towels. You need a whole lot of them, but you can just fold them up a few times and press them into the sponge as if you're trying to squeeze it dry. That seems to help with my edge smears. Maybe it would help with your problem, too.

I remember getting cleaning papers with the 2200--but not sure where they are and I never used them. Does anyone else remember this? I've never seen anyone mention using them--or for what purpose.

So far I have not had my sponges get too full of ink. My understanding with the 2200 is that you have to have them replace them--but not sure. I have read of others soaking up the ink as you do with good success. The 3800 does have a waste tank and you get a report of what percentage is full--and they aren't too expensive. However, mine has stayed about at the same percentage for a good while so I haven't ordered a new one.

Diane

Per Ofverbeck

I remember getting cleaning papers with the 2200--but not sure where they are and I never used them. Does anyone else remember this? I've never seen anyone mention using them--or for what purpose.

So far I have not had my sponges get too full of ink. My understanding with the 2200 is that you have to have them replace them--but not sure. I have read of others soaking up the ink as you do with good success. The 3800 does have a waste tank and you get a report of what percentage is full--and they aren't too expensive. However, mine has stayed about at the same percentage for a good while so I haven't ordered a new one.

Diane

I think those cleaning papers were for getting ink or goo off the rubber rolls feeding the paper; I recall they were more abrasive than absorbent.

I haven´t tried soakig up the excess ink, although the idea has indeed occurred to me. I´m just wary of getting some lint on that sponge and foul up the printhead real good....

Probably that spongy material has aged, or else it has got so much pigment clogging up its pores that it just transports the excess ink too slowly, since the problem goes away for a while if left alone.

I´ve heard also that replacing the waste tank and sponge is someting you´re not supposed to do yourself. Still, here is some good info:

http://www.mwords.co.uk/catalog/info-articles-printer-maintenance-c-15_128.html

There used to be another site with specific info on the 2100/2200, but unfortunately it has been taken down. Anyhow, even if you do it yourself, there remains the problem of resetting the printer firmware so it doesn´t block itself, and that seems to be a non-trivial hacking exercise....

If the 3800 hadn´t had this tank user replaceable, honestly I think I would have abandoned Epson altogether. But regrettably, they are still the best for B/W on glossy.

Ray West

There is some useful software, if you are windows based, mentioned in this thread http://www.openphotographyforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1066

It allows you to reset a lot of stuff, invalidate warranties, etc. - All the interesting stuff wrt epson printers. The first so called epson service sponge replacement charge - is merely a charge for resetting. The sponge is not full of waste ink until the second time. Remove the tube from the pump, and use an external bottle. Don't be afraid of this stuff, it's only next year's landfill.

Best wishes,

Ray

Diane Fields

I really liked the 2200 when I bought it--I bypassed the 2000 and glad I did. The 2200 performed well--and with QTR, printed monos extremely well, but I wished for more. I admit the 2200, though still hooked up (I admit, when I reconnected my new computer Friday evening to almost not hooking the 2200 LOL), is rarely used, but a good backup if needed and since I still have ink, I'll use it for 'everyday' type printing. I love the 3800 and have just had no problems with it so far. The waste tank seems a good idea--we'll see when I have to change it--and if it adds one more cost over ink. Doesn't seem as though it would since its not filling up in any meaningful way.

Diane

John_Schwaller

Hi, Diane....

Well, I think I may be a first.....3800 with unclearable nozzle clog. After innumerable nozzle checks, power cleaning cycles....and resultant drop in ink supply and need to replace the maint. cart. I finally called Epson and they are shipping out a replacement.

I have only had it since mid-March, but unfortunately it is longer than their "30 day" window for a new replacement, so it appears I will be getting a "refurb". Oh well, as long as it works.

John :-(

No--not sure how feeding problems were implied. When the few times I had a clog--and had NOT run a nozzle test, it was apparent something was wrong--the color was wrong on the whole print--no banding. When I would run a nozzle test---one or more nozzles were clogged. I would run a cleaning, get a correct print out and print again--voila'----color was correct. I learned to always run a nozzle test before a print run. A very small unprinted area on the nozzle test print out can make a whole print be bad--looks like a color shift. However, I have to say that I had very few instances of this since I bought the 2200 when it first came out and have no clogs so far with the 3800 though that's only since December.

Printers running in a higher humidity environment seem to have less clogging problems--on other forums I have read of people making a small box to hold a moist sponge and inserting this into the printer, covering it when its not being used. This seems to keep the nozzles from clogging--I'm guessing because the feed at the end does not dry out.

Diane

Kim Fullbrook

My Epson R800 sometimes goes through a period of producing prints which are on the face of it almost OK but on a closer view have what I can only describe as fluorescent bright greens in place of a normal grassy green and some reds & browns are way out. Even though the nozzle check is fine, a head cleaning fixes the problem.