• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Might as well start with two I like

mitchmcneil

DSC_0011.jpg

DSC_0005.jpg

I guess I will start sharing with some quick shots I did one day at work. Used my D200 with 85mm F2.8 AI-S Nikkor. Don't remember the settings. Hope you enjoy.

Ken Tanaka

pro member
Hello Mitch, and Welcome.

Give us a bit of artist's insight and tell us why these two pictures are meaningful to you. What prompted you to select them for posting amongst, presumably, many choices?

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Hi Mitch,

These are natural unprepared shots of a young woman, with two main ideas, privacy of thoughts and then teasing from this private position. The first picture has a radiance to it, the second breaks so many rules. The fingers do not flow, but a arranged like a random pile of branches on the ground, the tattoo (??) on the left hand is incompletely shown. It is what it is. But what is it? By showing this unpolished image, you seem to be showing the complexity of the person unprepared.

Since I hold that art is the embedding of some passion in a physical medium, I am not sure that what I see is that. The very fact that you have shown the images makes me think you do have specific feelings and ideas behind the two pictures.

The blur/lack of sharp focus, do not bother me. So I will not be dismissive on that account.

It is difficult here to comment more since we have no titles and do not know your style to have an idea of how to properly interpret the images based on where you are coming from.

May we work with them and repost.

Asher

mitchmcneil

The first one for me is the way she looks, not bothered with me and in her own space and time. With the feeling prying into that space. I was in a room with horrible florescent lighting and she was not paying attention to me so I got this one off in a hurry, I think it was wide open.

The second is playful but with guarding of her space. I got this one after some teasing to get her to at lest look at me again (she uses her hands to take notes), still wide open. The tattoo is really just her using her hand as a note pad. As a subject she can be very easy to work with as I have done headshots, full body and 3/4's for her. But as a candid subject I found more life and mystery to her natural poses.

Please be my guest at reworking them and reposting them as it will only make me better, which will help me take the criticism I need to get better shots and post production as I do very little as most of my work is done on film but need to learn to learn the digital tools (only working with aperture).

Thanks
mitch

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Hi Mitch,

Thanks for being sporting! Are these pictures cropped? Are there more version of the second image?

Asher

mitchmcneil

The pic's are sized for board posting on photobucket but aren't cropped, which I always seem to destroy (that's why I switched to mac's and got aperture). I will see if I have any still on a CF card as I switched from linux to mac and still haven't brought it all over.